• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Please report this POS

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Please report this POS ASAP!

Screenshot_20240202-2203419cef57c34e211528.png

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
Don't they have to send any watch that sells for over 1k to a ebay certifying company now before its sent on to a buyer ? Sellers won't get paid if it's not gen is my understanding

Reactions: ward1991

Jossé

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/8/23
The fjords
Don't they have to send any watch that sells for over 1k to a ebay certifying company now before its sent on to a buyer ? Sellers won't get paid if it's not gen is my understanding
Is it the “Authenticity
Guarantee" program you are thinking of?
It is only available for items purchased and delivered within the United States.

It would be great if I was wrong here, so please correct me if that is the case!

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
Is it the “Authenticity
Guarantee" program you are thinking of?
It is only available for items purchased and delivered within the United States.

It would be great if I was wrong here, so please correct me if that is the case!
I had a look and its available in the UK to so i imagine it's worldwide. There's some good revues about the service and for $80 you can have a $500 watch checked as well

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
eBay has that but I've also heard of people getting scammed with fake watches AND boxes.
Their so called authenticity checker is not 100% reliable.

Reactions: Jossé

Jossé

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/8/23
The fjords
I had a look and its available in the UK to so i imagine it's worldwide. There's some good revues about the service and for $80 you can have a $500 watch checked as well
Oh, that's really good to know! Thanks for the update :)

Jossé

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/8/23
The fjords
If I’m spending fiftygrand on anything , their authenticator check better be at 120 fucking percent!!!
Very true! Hopefully the percentage of fake watches that are detected is far higher than the percentage of those that are not detected!

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
This is so disheartening to see people getting scammed like this. I suppose if you find yourself in a situation where you wear it, no one ever questions it, and you keep it forever, ignorance is bliss right? Other than that, what a nightmare on all counts. Absolutely terrible.

Reactions: DiggerOfWatches

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Reported ...
eBay authenticity is bs, don't trust that. A German journalist investigated it and reconstructed the path of the watch via tracking information and time stamps. The to-be-authenticated watch was sent to the "licensed authenticator" which was a subcontractor of eBay's authentication partner.
The watch arrived at there on November 4th at 10:21 a.m. and was handed over for further shipping at 1:01 p.m. In the intervening 2:40 hours, the authenticity was checked, the data was recorded, an individual certificate was created and the watch was securely packaged
(the so-called authentication process consisting in checking "Dozens of set checkpoints").
It turns out that the subcontractor of eBay's partner is a textile trading company that has a logistics company among its subsidiaries, and that's where the package was sent. So they have professional watchmakers in a logistics company?
Iirc the journalist then even called there and people were very evasive or didn't even know exactly what he wanted ("what watches???"), meaning they had no clue about any "authentication", and after some hesitancy and some "please hold the line" he was asked to please ask eBay directly.
That last phone call was similar to the previous one, half answers, everything is ok, the watch is on its way, no worries.

Don't trust that BS.

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
Reported ...
eBay authenticity is bs, don't trust that. A German journalist investigated it and reconstructed the path of the watch via tracking information and time stamps. The to-be-authenticated watch was sent to the "licensed authenticator" which was a subcontractor of eBay's authentication partner.
The watch arrived at there on November 4th at 10:21 a.m. and was handed over for further shipping at 1:01 p.m. In the intervening 2:40 hours, the authenticity was checked, the data was recorded, an individual certificate was created and the watch was securely packaged
(the so-called authentication process consisting in checking "Dozens of set checkpoints").
It turns out that the subcontractor of eBay's partner is a textile trading company that has a logistics company among its subsidiaries, and that's where the package was sent. So they have professional watchmakers in a logistics company?
Iirc the journalist then even called there and people were very evasive or didn't even know exactly what he wanted ("what watches???"), meaning they had no clue about any "authentication", and after some hesitancy and some "please hold the line" he was asked to please ask eBay directly.
That last phone call was similar to the previous one, half answers, everything is ok, the watch is on its way, no worries.

Don't trust that BS.
Exactly, no way I am falling for that shite.