• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Planet Ocean just received... trouble already, help! [RESOLVED]

Kalsicks

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/8/11
Great, my first rep buy and already a problem! I posted my QC pics from PureTime up a week or so ago, and I had noticed that the Omega logo looked lopsided when compared to the Omega text. There were some other issues that you guys pointed out too but the logo is the issue here.

Here's the photo I took issue with:
2eb4c5j.jpg

(Logo leaning to the right)

I sent them an email pointing that out, and they sent me new QC pictures. Now, I figured this was a new watch completely and I also didn't think I could see any problem with the logo. However, this could have been an optical illusion because the photos were taken at an angle:
fdfxut.jpg

But anyway, I thought this looked fine so I gave it the OK and waited until today to receive the watch. It's a beautiful watch for sure, but I was immediately distracted by the lopsided logo once again leaning to the right.

33oty5e.jpg

What do I do now? I'm sending Angus an email, but this looks strange to me and makes me wonder whether it is an inherent issue in UPOs now or something. For one thing, it almost looks as if the dial has even more lopsided-ness going on than first meets the eye:

14k9v2r.jpg

What should I do? I really hate to have to send this back immediately, but I also don't want to be faced with spending money to fix something already. Really disappointing to say the least. Although I will say that PureTime has been very nice and professional the whole time so I hold nothing against them.

EDIT: Angus got back to me very fast and offered to send me a new dial if I am able to replace it. How difficult of a job is this (I'm only asking in case it's surprisingly easy, otherwise I should not be trusted) or is there anyone reputable here that could do this for a small-ish fee? If it's not much it might be worth it, otherwise I might need to ask for a replacement watch.

Cynikal.Mindset

Renowned Member
7/1/11
Live with it or fix it yourself. It's not worth the cost of shipping it back for such an easy fix. Personally, I can't even see it leaning to the right

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
So minor from a stare length I wouldnt worry about it man....its one KILLER rep saince I owned on as well...enjoy

Peace,

Rob

Kalsicks

5/8/11
Yeah, I hate that the pictures don't show how obvious it is in person. When the light catches the logo it looks pretty darned obvious. How easy of a fix is it with a new dial? Or how much would it cost to have someone do it for me? I haven't worked on watches before and shouldn't be trusted unless it's EASY.

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
How would he fix it himself? New face? Once I noted that, it was all I could see!

crazy fault that one - I mean, the makers can turn out such brilliant work, but then to get the primary identifying mark that gives the watch its value, wrong seems very odd.

Bloody nice watch though

dholliday

2/8/11
Holy hell, lopsided logo, I really could not even notice it, You can't expect perfection, if you need that go buy the gen. The last rep I ordered, turned out to be a crazy deal and I never got it, So I bought a Planet ocean gen today similar to yours, honestly you can barely if at all tell any difference.

Cynikal.Mindset

Renowned Member
7/1/11
Remove movement/dial from case, remove logo from dial, reattach logo to dial, replace everything to case, done!

Expecting perfection is expecting too much from reps. The pearl bothers me more than the logo but such is part of the game.

Kalsicks

5/8/11
Remove movement/dial from case, remove logo from dial, reattach logo to dial, replace everything to case, done!

Expecting perfection is expecting too much from reps. The pearl bothers me more than the logo but such is part of the game.

Sounds like it might be easy for someone who knows what they're doing! Is there any mechanic here on this forum that would be especially suitable for such a small job, and would be relatively inexpensive? I might take Angus up on the whole new dial idea though, since I would think trying to reattach the logo and judge where it should go might present some problems even for the mechanic.

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
The logos would surely be screen printed onto the dial face...?

I wouldn't expect perfection but I'd expect that stuff to be in line.... I think it is a weird fault.

Truthfully, I have no idea how I'd ever notice it in the first place :)

trandy16

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/08
With all due respect....it's a replica watch....as dholliday said....if you're that particular....then gen is the only way to go.

BTW...I own three SMPO reps and none of them are "perfect".

Why not just ignore it and enjoy your watch...believe me no one else in your daily life is even going to notice it.

Kalsicks

5/8/11
Hey guys, I do agree this is a pretty small problem. However, it is a bit more obvious than shows up in pictures. Once you see it, it's hard to ignore.

But, since it's a small problem I'm only going to address it if the fix is pretty easy/cheap. I sent a few emails to watch repair people and I'll see what they can do. Otherwise I will just wear it and enjoy. I didn't expect perfection! The other flaws don't bother me in the slightest. The logo thing bothers me a little more because rather than just being off when compared to gen, it might even look funny to non-watch or Omega people.

We'll see, thanks for the input.

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
Hey guys, I do agree this is a pretty small problem. However, it is a bit more obvious than shows up in pictures. Once you see it, it's hard to ignore.

But, since it's a small problem I'm only going to address it if the fix is pretty easy/cheap. I sent a few emails to watch repair people and I'll see what they can do. Otherwise I will just wear it and enjoy. I didn't expect perfection! The other flaws don't bother me in the slightest. The logo thing bothers me a little more because rather than just being off when compared to gen, it might even look funny to non-watch or Omega people.

We'll see, thanks for the input.
Send to goin for relume and ask him whether he can do you a favor of adjusting the logo for you. By the way, with the super lume . Yr rep will looks more convincing and you will feel more happier.

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
I can't see it. If it bothers you and you cant fix it yourself, have a watch smith fix it. Bite the bullet and have it serviced or get it lumed like Omega88 suggested. Of course, have the logo adjusted in the process.

Sending it back to China is likely to cause you more problems than it will fix.

Robbo73

27/5/11
If it helps, go and look at the He valve on a gen. That'll distract you from the logo issue!

Nice watch. Love mine.

houndoggie

16/11/08
Your red line over the omega script on the dial is more crooked than you claim the logo is.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Dude, if you can get a new dial from your TD, send it and the watch to Goin for a superlume job, as has been advised. Goin is The Man.

Otherwise, move on.

It's a rep, and I say this with all due respect.

Kalsicks

5/8/11
Your red line over the omega script on the dial is more crooked than you claim the logo is.

The 'A' is a different height than the rest of the script as far as I can tell, but my line is very slightly crooked.

I'm definitely considering the lume idea guys so thanks!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
As most of people are saying here, i have to agree that is a very minor issue... Very generous offer from the dealer to offer you new dial so take it it or leave it as it is. The pearl and the HE valve are a lot obvious tells than the logo...
About the luming, the total cost (luming and shipping costs) will probably cost half the money of the gen dial, or a little more, so save them for a gen dial, if you ask me, and there you go the logo will be the way you want...

TheCold

15/8/09
new upo dial from angus cost 50$ shipped, asked him some days ago because I might need a new one :p