• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Planet Ocean 45,5 mm. AT maker miyota

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Here is my Sochi version. I love it.

OmegaSochi_zpsdbe1b18c.jpg

That seems very nice! Can we have more pics please?

Pauly404

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/14
Noob with a gen bezel seems like the way to go. Might be the next one for me.

juniorkm7

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/3/13
Is also 42mm version which such a great movement available? Please provide link to TD who sells it with most attractive price and best quality :)

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
I also have the Sochi PO. Knowing about the stuttering issue, it is definitely noticeable when specifically looking for it. Is it a big deal? It's all in the view of the owner.

What I can say is that mine keeps absolutely perfect time. I don't have to make adjustments for weeks at a time. Just picking it up from the watch-box gets it going and it has a great power reserve. If you don't find yourself staring at your piece and watching the second hand, there is no reason to avoid Myiota, IMO. If any stutter is going to drive you nuts, spend the extra $$$$ and make yourself happy.

dpats

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/9/15
No this is not noob.
I just got a noob with A2836 mvt and the ticking is alot smoother.

Champagne iH

4/1/14
I'd rather have a Miyota than an ETA clone any day.. as far as reliability is concerned a Miyota is just as good as a gen ETA. Low beat does not denote a bad movement.. These are WAY better movements than the DG 2813 or 4813. Miyotas are great movements in general and they are readily available as new, pristine movements where ETAs are not. The "ETA" movements you get are used/refurbished or have chinese parts in them most of the time.

This is very inaccurate information. Miyota are cloned Citizen movements. The 2813 and 4813 are 21j movements and gave their share of issues.
Most ETA clone are from dedicated movement factories in China just like Seagull. The 2824 and 2836 have had patents expire so the can make them exact. They might not have all solid gears polished up to Swiss standards and they might not have the exact lubrication but almost any watchmaker can source and buy the spare parts.

If you just bought the 8series Miyota and say the seconds hand isn't bothering you, then you must have never had a good high beat movement. Plus with the Miyota 8 series the shaking gets worse over time. With much movement the seconds hand just stops until the movement is over.

The factories have had the chance to put in decent Miyota movements in the 9015 series but skimped a few bucks to maximize profit. Seriously folks a PO with the tin foil decoration on a Miyota 8series movement is like having a 1980s Pontiac Fiero (horrible leaky engines) and putting the kit Ferrari gear on top of that vehicle. It's nothing close to the Ferrari or will ever be. It will get worse over time and you will look at that second hand stutter the rest of the times you wear a watch with that movement. The get away with the low beat Miyota in AP15400 because they are thinner and most AP watches move at a lower beat. 23,500bph so the smooth seconds hand is less genuine like. However putting the 9105 movement gives you the best of both worlds, a high beat reliable movement with the thinner profile. Bought in mass these would cost a rep maker less than $5 per movement.

But back to the original point Asian ETA clones are almost always bought from a factory that is a dedicated movement factory. Not somebody's house or storage unit. They don't use a sterile environment and even Apple has issues trying to enforce the dust free/partial free work areas but the movement factories aren't full of people eating rice or noodle bowls while assembling the movements. Most parts on Swiss ETA movements are made in Asia, but assembled in Switzerland or if sold in duty free zones they skirt the law in Swiss made and assemble in places like Thailand. I've opened watches bought from Little Switzerland and Caribbean Emeralds that were boxed and label led as Swiss made only to find very small stickers stating assembled in Thailand. The Thais have a much stricter work environment but the majority of parts come from Asia. Even in Switzerland the may make a few solid gears and plates but the polish up loads of parts made elsewhere and assemble the final product in Switzerland. This actually meets laws of Switzerland, the EU and USA where 50% of the parts must be Swiss made and the assembly fine in Swiss factories. Just by polishing up a gear wheel or cleaning up the teeth on a open gear, these become Swiss parts. So much is left open to interpretation and Swiss QC but the manufacturer must have a healthy bottom line while not breaking the laws. The majority of Swiss watches are in fact bought in duty free zones across the globe and they are specifically exempt from abiding by the strictest interpretation of the Swiss Laws.

Bashing Asian built ETAs is ignorant. The rep makers might very well buy the lower quality Asian ETA clones, but these same factories also can produce the highest level chronometers. The rep makers just can't make a big profit buying the best QC movements.

It's like saying that microchips made in China are of poor quality. Almost all microchips are made in Taiwan or mainland China.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

Z3BR4

Renowned Member
16/5/12
I don't think you read my post very well.. I said "as far as reliability is concerned". You can take that to the bank, because I haven't had or heard of near the issues with miyotas of either variant 9xxx or 8xxx than I have with clones. The DG 2813 movements are easily replaceable, but they are nowhere near the quality of the Miyota 8XXX even. I think you're mistaking the "miyota stutter" as a problem with the movement, when it is not. The 8XXX movements are built that way and do not hack. Regardless of how the second hand ticks, they keep accurate time. These movements use an indirect sweep design and that is why the hand movement doesn't appear as smooth as something like the ETA 2824 or 2892. I've never heard that the "Shaking gets worse over time".. I think the stutter is pretty consistent from the day the movement is built. The stutter is more pronounced however when the seconds hand is heavier.

These Miyota movements are used in many gens and micro-brand divers without issue. The 9015 movement is an exceptional movement for the cost. The 9015's also have a brilliant sweep. I can agree that to some the 8xxx series miyota hand stutter could be off putting, but it in no way relates to the reliability or quality of the movement. That's just how the seconds hand mechanism works.

This is very inaccurate information. Miyota are cloned Citizen movements. The 2813 and 4813 are 21j movements and gave their share of issues.
Most ETA clone are from dedicated movement factories in China just like Seagull. The 2824 and 2836 have had patents expire so the can make them exact. They might not have all solid gears polished up to Swiss standards and they might not have the exact lubrication but almost any watchmaker can source and buy the spare parts.

If you just bought the 8series Miyota and say the seconds hand isn't bothering you, then you must have never had a good high beat movement. Plus with the Miyota 8 series the shaking gets worse over time. With much movement the seconds hand just stops until the movement is over.

The factories have had the chance to put in decent Miyota movements in the 9015 series but skimped a few bucks to maximize profit. Seriously folks a PO with the tin foil decoration on a Miyota 8series movement is like having a 1980s Pontiac Fiero (horrible leaky engines) and putting the kit Ferrari gear on top of that vehicle. It's nothing close to the Ferrari or will ever be. It will get worse over time and you will look at that second hand stutter the rest of the times you wear a watch with that movement. The get away with the low beat Miyota in AP15400 because they are thinner and most AP watches move at a lower beat. 23,500bph so the smooth seconds hand is less genuine like. However putting the 9105 movement gives you the best of both worlds, a high beat reliable movement with the thinner profile. Bought in mass these would cost a rep maker less than $5 per movement.

But back to the original point Asian ETA clones are almost always bought from a factory that is a dedicated movement factory. Not somebody's house or storage unit. They don't use a sterile environment and even Apple has issues trying to enforce the dust free/partial free work areas but the movement factories aren't full of people eating rice or noodle bowls while assembling the movements. Most parts on Swiss ETA movements are made in Asia, but assembled in Switzerland or if sold in duty free zones they skirt the law in Swiss made and assemble in places like Thailand. I've opened watches bought from Little Switzerland and Caribbean Emeralds that were boxed and label led as Swiss made only to find very small stickers stating assembled in Thailand. The Thais have a much stricter work environment but the majority of parts come from Asia. Even in Switzerland the may make a few solid gears and plates but the polish up loads of parts made elsewhere and assemble the final product in Switzerland. This actually meets laws of Switzerland, the EU and USA where 50% of the parts must be Swiss made and the assembly fine in Swiss factories. Just by polishing up a gear wheel or cleaning up the teeth on a open gear, these become Swiss parts. So much is left open to interpretation and Swiss QC but the manufacturer must have a healthy bottom line while not breaking the laws. The majority of Swiss watches are in fact bought in duty free zones across the globe and they are specifically exempt from abiding by the strictest interpretation of the Swiss Laws.

Bashing Asian built ETAs is ignorant. The rep makers might very well buy the lower quality Asian ETA clones, but these same factories also can produce the highest level chronometers. The rep makers just can't make a big profit buying the best QC movements.

It's like saying that microchips made in China are of poor quality. Almost all microchips are made in Taiwan or mainland China.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
I just really wish V6F put a 9015 in this watch. I think it'd be a much nicer movement for this beautiful watch, but the 8 series is keeping me away from this release.

Champagne iH

4/1/14
I will not buy a PO rep without a solid case back, or a good high beat movement.

I do like the 9015 movement despite what Z3Bra is implying. I don't like the Miyota 8xxx movements. I don't like any slower best movement. I think a smoother hand sweep is very nice to look at. I also want a hacking movement. That's just me. Easier to swap out for a Gen ETA movement at some time. I have some older gen watches with ETA movements that could be cannibalized in the future. I could also get an Accutron (Bulova) automatic movement.

I love the PO watch. Having worn the gen for almost a year makes going back a bit hard. Still the LMPO were great reps. I hope they get away from the Chrono thing too.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
What I am planning to do when my Sochi dies is buy a Noob and just swap the Bezel and caseback. Then you will have a superep ceramic PO!!!