• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Planet Ocean 42mm Ultimate Version??

WatchDude13

Renowned Member
3/11/06
I'm in the hunt for a PO too..... I think.

I was leaning towards the 42mm as my GMT II looks perfect on my wrist and the 44mm PAMs are on the large size.

One thing I've noticed, I feel many on this site are 'over buying' when it comes to size. I see picture after picture with the lugs virtually hanging over the edges of the wrist and I'm not sure *I* like that look. To each his/her own, but it's not for me.

183h, sold because it thought it was too big for my 6.5" wrists:
DSC05294.jpg

DSC05546.jpg

183mod37.jpg

IWC Inge, bordering on too big (IMO):
Ing19.jpg

Ing16.jpg

005, bordering on too big too, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. I've got the Tuna Can fever!
DSC05792.jpg

DSC05789.jpg

DSC05780.jpg

DSC05783.jpg

My 16710:
GMTcrop.jpg

GMTWrist.jpg

P1010318.jpg

P1010326.jpg

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
yeah the 42 PO barely hits my wrist edge.

i was at the Omega AD and i could swear the 42PO they had there was lighter than the rep.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
crick said:
i was at the Omega AD and i could swear the 42PO they had there was lighter than the rep.
If it was on a leather strap, it's a light watch.

sgm6s

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/4/06
I have a 6.75" wrist and I have the 4th generation 42mm PO and I think it looks just perfect. I'm not into huge honking watches, though I think deep down I'm scared to try the 45mm at the AD since I'll probably rush home and buy the Ultimate PO :wink:

That said, I do think the 45mm Ultimate PO is much more accurate, the pearl on the 42mm 4th generation is horrendous looking compared to the gen and Ultimate PO, as is the gap on the bracelet... I better stop now before I convince myself to buy a 45mm! :?

hwrdpaula

24/11/06
42 v 45

No question about it ---small wrists do not accommadate the 45 PO. It's a ridiculous look --a little kid wearing his father's watch. Stick with the 42 and the overall perspective will appear to be right. It's a wonderful watch( inspite of the clasp thing). Enjoy it.

D

d4m.test

I have a similar concern as jiro. I'm 5'10", 175 lbs, have a 7" wrist. The 47mm Pam 232 looks like this on my wrist which I think it's a little big or marginal. Do you think the black bezel 45.5mm PO looks OK on me? Appreciate your opinion. Thanks. -bm
IMG_0659.jpg

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
well, if that's 47....45 PO will be perfect fir for you i think....

i wish i got a wrist like you.......... :cry:

D

d4m.test

Thanks. It makes me feel better. After I bought the Pam 232, I worry they keep coming up with bigger and bigger watches. They all look so good but I'm not endowed to wear them? I don't mean to make other smaller-wristed guys like me feel bad. To me 47mm on me is at best marginal if not ridiculours.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
sgm6s said:
That said, I do think the 45mm Ultimate PO is much more accurate, the pearl on the 42mm 4th generation is horrendous looking compared to the gen and Ultimate PO, as is the gap on the bracelet... I better stop now before I convince myself to buy a 45mm! :?

Hmm, I didn't think the pearl on 4th Gen was "horrendous looking". It's not as good as on the Ultimate, but it wasn't THAT bad... and it had excellent lume.

IMG_2009.jpg

I mean, the 4th Gen pearl is NOT stuff that people would ever notice (imho). I thought it was almost reasonable. On the other hand some new Seamaster reps have big, oversized pearls (like Sub) that would bother me.

dialdetail_rwi.jpg

If there ever comes a good rubber strap for the 4th Gen (don't buy Joshua's, it won't fit) it would be a great upgrade... the bracelet and clasp are quite bad quality. The metal is very soft and has cheap feel (especially on the clasp area). Details aside, the bracelet is the most important upgrade/improvement on the "Utlimate", imho.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
ruby's new 42 has been updated with better logo positioning and clasp engraving and bracelet along with stronger ar. it is also on sale.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
hk45ca said:
ruby's new 42 has been updated with better logo positioning and clasp engraving and bracelet along with stronger ar. it is also on sale.

Yeah checked it. Too bad the Omega logo is now wrong (it was perfect on the old version). It uses the same logo as the Ultimate (wrong feet). But then again this is completely insignificant flaw in my eyes (loupe stuff). But it's a downgrade nevertheless.

The clasp engraving looks the same to me. Can't say anything about the AR, but it was half-decent on my 4th Gen. I doubt there's any significant changes done. The bracelet still has the oversized gap.

Omega logo on Ruby's watch (actually the symbol is now a bit too high, if it was bit too low on the old version) Is it an upgrade? You decide.

wt27ko.jpg

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
By-Tor said:
hk45ca said:

Yeah checked it. Too bad the Omega logo is now wrong (it was perfect on the old version). It uses the same logo as the Ultimate (wrong feet). But then again this is completely insignificant flaw in my eyes (loupe stuff). But it's a downgrade nevertheless.

The clasp engraving looks the same to me. Can't say anything about the AR, but it was half-decent on my 4th Gen. I doubt there's any significant changes done. The bracelet still has the oversized gap.

Omega logo on Ruby's watch (actually the symbol is now a bit too high, if it was bit too low on the old version) Is it an upgrade? You decide.

wt27ko.jpg

well, an omega logo that isn't touching the lettering, ar that you can actually see, clasp ingraving that is stamped and smooth insted of being rough at the bottom and eched with acid, a clasp that isn't loose and feels like it is going to come open and a braclet that doesn't feel like it cost .20 cents for 179.00 instead of 238.00. for me that is a improvement.

there are 8 diferent versions of this watch from 3 or 4 different factories. i haven't found one that is better than this one.

sgm6s

12/4/06
By-Tor said:
Hmm, I didn't think the pearl on 4th Gen was "horrendous looking". It's not as good as on the Ultimate, but it wasn't THAT bad... and it had excellent lume.

You're lucky, my pearl has discolored into this ugly, unevenly bumpy brown dot thing, it used to be the same color as the hour markers... not to mention it's bulging versus within the ring on the gen. :cry: Short of that custom job in the SMP guide, any way to fix this thing?

But this is still my favorite everyday rep :)

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
hk45ca said:
there are 8 diferent versions of this watch from 3 or 4 different factories. i haven't found one that is better than this one.

8 versions of the 4th Gen? I seriously doubt it. I have only seen 2 different variations of the "4th Gen". The one with the Omega logo raised (with wrong logo shape that Ruby and Paul sell)... and the old one. I also doubt there's any difference with the AR coating.

Are you sure the clasp quality has been improved? I assume you own this particular rep from Ruby... wristshot from the clasp side up, thanks!!! ;)

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
By-Tor said:
hk45ca said:

8 versions of the 4th Gen? I seriously doubt it. I have only seen 2 different variations of the "4th Gen". The one with the Omega logo raised (with wrong logo shape that Ruby and Paul sell)... and the old one. I also doubt there's any difference with the AR coating.

Are you sure the clasp quality has been improved? I assume you own this particular rep from Ruby... wristshot from the clasp side up, thanks!!! ;)

i have this and a 45 on it's way and when they arrive i will try to take all the pictures you want. i have steered clear of this watch since it was introduced because of all the crap that was wrong with it. i feel they are done with it now and it looked close enough for me. as far as all the versions of this watch? that info came from eddie lee. river has an entirely different version of it that has a thicker seal on the case back but still has the crappy bracelet and clasp.

this is also the same version that joshua sells now for 228.00 plus shipping.

http://watchwindersworld.com/omse10010- ... -1432.html

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
This (at least visually) is the exact same watch as the 4th Gen (save the logo). Trust me on this, the clasp engraving is the same, AR is the same, dial & pearl are the same, the bracelet "gap" is the same (it doesn't show in the pics because the band is in that position). This leads me to believe the clasp is the same too (until proven otherwise). I find the wrong logo shape as a downgrade rather than improvement, but that's just my personal opinion.

BUT... if the clasp indeed has been improved I might consider buying it again. But like I said, I seriously doubt it. I don't believe anything that the dealers say... "improved this, improved that, blah blah". I only believe my own eyes and judgment. I have studied the Omega reps for the last year pretty closely you know... I'm not saying that our dealers are trying to mislead anyone, but they're trying to SELL these things. ;)

Paul sells this same watch... and members have reported it's the 4th Gen with different (raised but erronous) logo.

PS: All those "8 versions" must refer to different version of the rep (all models combined together). Not 8 different variations of the 4th Gen, which is still the only one to get (if you want the 42mm version).

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Yep, same clasp. Ruby's picture is better though. Probably white paper used to reflect the lighting. :)