• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Patek 5740 clone movement

Db9s

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/5/23
Canada
Yeah like I said, never heard about him until the whole 5740 fiasco- just the info I had got from a contact. But good to see he was dealt with accordingly
Wait, what happened? What fiasco?

engbanna1

29/5/23
KSA
@dogwood did you do movements guide for PP watches like the one you did for Rolex? I am very interested in seeing a similar guide done for PPs watches. Thanks for all of your contributions.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
@dogwood did you do movements guide for PP watches like the one you did for Rolex? I am very interested in seeing a similar guide done for PPs watches. Thanks for all of your contributions.
I have an initial draft that I published on Reddit a couple of years ago. It’s now quite out of date. Perhaps that’s a project for me for this year. I have an ACE 240 movement coming across my bench soon.

Reactions: engbanna1 and Panda

engbanna1

29/5/23
KSA
I have an initial draft that I published on Reddit a couple of years ago. It’s now quite out of date. Perhaps that’s a project for me for this year. I have an ACE 240 movement coming across my bench soon.
Will you share the link on reddit please?

Reactions: rockdaytona

engbanna1

29/5/23
KSA
It’s pretty out of date so please don’t rely on it for anything other than historical reference.

Thanks for sharing. I quote the following from your post in Reddit:

[The Clone 324 movement can be found in 3K Factory reps of the Nautilus and Aquanaut. This is a good movement, but doesn’t have a very large power reserve and requires a large amount of winding or rotor spinning (possibly due to non gen-spec gearing in the automatic module)]

Has this 324 movement issue been improved recently by 3KF/DD?

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Thanks for sharing. I quote the following from your post in Reddit:

[The Clone 324 movement can be found in 3K Factory reps of the Nautilus and Aquanaut. This is a good movement, but doesn’t have a very large power reserve and requires a large amount of winding or rotor spinning (possibly due to non gen-spec gearing in the automatic module)]

Has this 324 movement issue been improved recently by 3KF/DD?
I’m not aware of any official versioning of the 324 movement. I’ve had a few on my bench over the years and they do tend to have the odd issue. I’ve seen loose cannon pinions (so the watch would occasionally drop behind by an hour or two). I’ve seen broken setting levers. I’ve seen broken train wheels. But all of those things are things I’ve seen in vs3235 and vr3235 movements. The movement is more common now than it was two years ago, so replacements are available via special order through TDs, and many watchmakers have a spare parts movement on their bench now. But it remains a less reliable and harder to repair movement than say an eta 2824 clone.

Reactions: engbanna1

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Well, I think most people have seen it, but popup who became a probationary vendor is here, and he has some real pictures of a fully built 5740 with the clone here :

j2k

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/2/23
Canada
I’m not aware of any official versioning of the 324 movement. I’ve had a few on my bench over the years and they do tend to have the odd issue. I’ve seen loose cannon pinions (so the watch would occasionally drop behind by an hour or two). I’ve seen broken setting levers. I’ve seen broken train wheels. But all of those things are things I’ve seen in vs3235 and vr3235 movements. The movement is more common now than it was two years ago, so replacements are available via special order through TDs, and many watchmakers have a spare parts movement on their bench now. But it remains a less reliable and harder to repair movement than say an eta 2824 clone.
Just to add on to this. I have a 3kf 324 movement that the TD has replaced and is suffering from the same issue the first one is; Sometimes the movement will unwind itself and really struggle to get going by just the rotor. It requires you to manually wind it however, when it is running, it's very accurate and keeps time well

Reactions: engbanna1