• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Panerai 292 (Why is there a weird mark on the Panerai dial on the Noob J versions?)

PaneraiSwag

Horology Curious
6/10/14
Looked for a Noob J myself, after the one I ordered from Tony of Asian7750 got stolen by customs/postman. 292Js were nowhere to be found...i emailed damn near to 15 TDs in various forums...no one has them. Not even the H-fac ones are available nowadays. Best bet is from Sead, but not sure from which factory.

Damn, sorry to hear that it got stolen! Do you get a refund when that happens?

I saw the one for Sead but I'm not sure about buying anything that Ale hasn't put his stamp of approval. It's quite sad that they aren't making these anymore since the demand for them seems to be still high. Of course it's much much harder to use ceramic than stainless steel. I wonder if I can get a group together that wants one and do a bulk purchase at a specific price... that might entice them to do another production run. Sigh... I'm really hoping they plan on making more.

Pavo

22/3/14
UK
I was in a similar situation to you I wanted a black DLC coated Pam and was looking at the Noob 292J but it's out of stock. It happens and they may make it again they may not. More then likely they will not.

in the end I went and brought the 339m KW version. It's 47mm so slightly bigger then the 292j which I believe 45mm but it's a stunning piece.

I brought mine from marvellous replicas.

You could have a look at the 532 but there are a few small flaws but it looks great.

enjoy the forum

PaneraiSwag

Horology Curious
6/10/14
I was in a similar situation to you I wanted a black DLC coated Pam and was looking at the Noob 292J but it's out of stock. It happens and they may make it again they may not. More then likely they will not.

in the end I went and brought the 339m KW version. It's 47mm so slightly bigger then the 292j which I believe 45mm but it's a stunning piece.

You could have a look at the 532 but there are a few small flaws but it looks great.

enjoy the forum

Hi Pavo,

Thanks so much about teaching me about DLC coating, it seems like I might be able to find an alternative to the 292J. Couple of questions, does the DLC coating have that matte look you get with the ceramic? Also, does it rub off like some of the PVD's I've seen?

47 seems huge... i'll definitely start to consider the 339M KW.

Thanks, I've been enjoying my time here so far, it's just kind of sad that I came a few months too late to grab that 292J.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
No worries about the modern DLC coatings, they will last many years, but similar to ceramic they are hard but FRAGILE. Bear it in mind when you are wearing them

Finish of modern DLC'd PAM reps is awesome. Watches are usually sandblasted or beadblasted before the coating to get a nice matt surface like the ceramic or composite.
Just to say that many Ceramic-Composite PAMs (gen and reps) are not real black but dark brown PAM 339-505-504-386-441.....
Leaving aside the weight you would say are the same as gen

BTW- PAM 339 is a good choice, read PAM GUIDE to get info. I analyze there the best current version

ALE

nicktan182

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/13

enjoy the forum

just so you know, the noob 292J is made of real ceramic, not black dlc coated. all the more recent versions of the 292 are made of real ceramic.

PaneraiSwag

Horology Curious
6/10/14
No worries about the modern DLC coatings, they will last many years, but similar to ceramic they are hard but FRAGILE. Bear it in mind when you are wearing them

Finish of modern DLC'd PAM reps is awesome. Watches are usually sandblasted or beadblasted before the coating to get a nice matt surface like the ceramic or composite.
Just to say that many Ceramic-Composite PAMs (gen and reps) are not real black but dark brown PAM 339-505-504-386-441.....
Leaving aside the weight you would say are the same as gen

BTW- PAM 339 is a good choice, read PAM GUIDE to get info. I analyze there the best current version

ALE

hi mr legendary ale,

i didn't even know that some of them were brown, while others were black. the 339 in the reference guide does look black in the pictures or my monitor is not that great. thanks for pointing that out though as I might have gotten one expecting black.

Sigh, I'm in love with the 292J and am actually really sad that I can't get it. In your experience, when the dealers stop carrying a watch, usually does that mean that they're done carrying them for good?

I'm going to keep trying to find one but in the meantime I'm starting to look at other super reps.

Something that has come to my attention is people wearing Destro watches on their left hands?? Isn't that kind of weird or is that ok in the watch community? Seems a bit weird to me but maybe something i need to get used to or just accept.

Once again, thanks so much for your help and I look forward to learning more with time.

PaneraiSwag

Horology Curious
6/10/14
One more question for you experts,

So are ALL the noobs of all versions gone? I was thinking, sure, as much as I don't like it, I'll take a Noob N V2 even though it is 1 mm off, but is this one sold out as well?

psychom3

Renowned Member
3/3/09
Sigh, I'm in love with the 292J and am actually really sad that I can't get it. In your experience, when the dealers stop carrying a watch, usually does that mean that they're done carrying them for good?

Something that has come to my attention is people wearing Destro watches on their left hands?? Isn't that kind of weird or is that ok in the watch community? Seems a bit weird to me but maybe something i need to get used to or just accept.

Often watches come back in stock if they sold well. Sometimes they don't because of issues they had with early runs, price increases for manufacturing them etc. The ceramic PAMs are likely gone for a while since people did not buy them at the initial prices and the prices ended up being lowered to move them, the factories then went back to doing PVD watches to approximate the look of ceramic at a lower cost. It just appears a ceramic case Panerai is just not very economically feasible in the current market. I would be surprised if we see another true ceramic PAM in the near future.

The destro Panerai started in the early 50's with the first Luminor case, so they are historically important. They were left handed because the divers wore a compass and depth gauge on the left wrist and the watch on the right. They are a little odd looking on the left wrist but a lot of left handed people wear "normal" watches on their right wrists and there are other left handed watches out there like the Ploprof which usually get worn on the left wrist. I have several destro watches and they never strike me as odd or uncomfortable.

psychom3

Renowned Member
3/3/09
One more question for you experts,

So are ALL the noobs of all versions gone? I was thinking, sure, as much as I don't like it, I'll take a Noob N V2 even though it is 1 mm off, but is this one sold out as well?

The ONLY 292 available now (and they may even be sold out) is the H factory K version and the only TD I know that has had them in the last month is Sead (Supermirrors). With the 292 it is easy unless Sead has any more K series available there are no more new ones to be had, well unless someone finds a stash of them somewhere which would be very unusual but not unprecedented. If you really want a 292 and not the K version or if it is also OOS now the sales forum is your only hope for now.

PaneraiSwag

Horology Curious
6/10/14
The ONLY 292 available now (and they may even be sold out) is the H factory K version and the only TD I know that has had them in the last month is Sead (Supermirrors). With the 292 it is easy unless Sead has any more K series available there are no more new ones to be had, well unless someone finds a stash of them somewhere which would be very unusual but not unprecedented. If you really want a 292 and not the K version or if it is also OOS now the sales forum is your only hope for now.

Thanks psychom3,

I just contacted Sead... after doing some research, I guess the lume being too white and the crown guard doesn't bother me all that much. I'm not sure if the strap holder and lugs are ceramic as i can see those fading, but you can't have it perfect.

I think the back plate is PVD and I really don't want that stuff rubbing off on my skin. Found an interesting strap, dunno if you guys know what this is called or even where to get it but it could enhance the look of the watch and keep the back plate pvd from rubbing off if you wear the watch often.

Tried to post an the picture file was too large.

For more pics
http://panerai.watchprosite.com/sho.../t-officine-panerai-292-on-a-different-strap/

Let me know what you guys think :)

PaneraiSwag

Horology Curious
6/10/14
Often watches come back in stock if they sold well. Sometimes they don't because of issues they had with early runs, price increases for manufacturing them etc. The ceramic PAMs are likely gone for a while since people did not buy them at the initial prices and the prices ended up being lowered to move them, the factories then went back to doing PVD watches to approximate the look of ceramic at a lower cost. It just appears a ceramic case Panerai is just not very economically feasible in the current market. I would be surprised if we see another true ceramic PAM in the near future.

The destro Panerai started in the early 50's with the first Luminor case, so they are historically important. They were left handed because the divers wore a compass and depth gauge on the left wrist and the watch on the right. They are a little odd looking on the left wrist but a lot of left handed people wear "normal" watches on their right wrists and there are other left handed watches out there like the Ploprof which usually get worn on the left wrist. I have several destro watches and they never strike me as odd or uncomfortable.

Cool history behind the destro. Good to know ^^

psychom3

Renowned Member
3/3/09
Thanks psychom3,

I just contacted Sead... after doing some research, I guess the lume being too white and the crown guard doesn't bother me all that much. I'm not sure if the strap holder and lugs are ceramic as i can see those fading, but you can't have it perfect.

I think the back plate is PVD and I really don't want that stuff rubbing off on my skin. Found an interesting strap, dunno if you guys know what this is called or even where to get it but it could enhance the look of the watch and keep the back plate pvd from rubbing off if you wear the watch often.

Tried to post an the picture file was too large.

For more pics
http://panerai.watchprosite.com/sho.../t-officine-panerai-292-on-a-different-strap/

Let me know what you guys think :)

The gens case back is stainless steel also.

The strap is called a bund.