• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replica Watches - Worth the money?

pinopes

Known Member
27/10/10
So I wanted to get people's input on our watches. I know some if not most of us have collections worth thousands, maybe even tens of thousands of reps and gens.

While reps are a great way to diversify and best bang for your buck at 90%+ accuracy at 5-10% of price, do you feel that this creates a situation where you buy more reps and in turn lose more money? I know this is a hobby and we all love watches. Let's be honest we aren't all made of money, or at least fiscally responsible enough that's part of the reason for reps right? However reps by nature lose value quicker because there is a noob version or v10 version that's better than the previous (kinda like apple iPad and iPhones ). While a gen depreciates in value in percentage terms u can always resell it for some recovery of cost whenever you decide to sell it.

However a rep, does an el fiddy for example be sold for anything close to it's cost since the noob 127 came out? So in people's mind there a time period you sell your reps, after one yr or two? And who's left holding the preverbal bag, a noob? And at that pt is the rep only worth 10-20% of what you have into it?

I'm just trying to get people's thoughts on it as I have tons of reps like everyone else and curious at some pt if we should sell some so we can save to fund a gen grail (iwc bp, ap roo, rolex vintage 1680, 5513,etc) to the extent you already don't have an extensive gen collection.

At the end of the day I'm glad I found out about this site and reps as it has truly thought me a great deal about watches and appreciate them as true pieces of art!

Happy holidays and enjoy your families and watches wherever you all may be!

slask111

26/7/08
Well i buy reps. If i dont like it i sell it on as a catch and release. If i do like it i keep it, service it and mod it. Thats why its a keeper.. dosent matter if a v.34 is out. I still love mine.

And to answer your topic question. I feel most are worth the money.
Pam superrep for 300$= yes
AP sec12 for 500$=no.

Happy collecting :)

pinopes

Known Member
27/10/10
I def get your pt, does the AP roo in your example not worth it because it's only 90% close to gen vs. 99% accurate Pam manual wind 005/111? Because on a finish and quality basis the AP roo is pretty nice.

Btw I have both pams and Ap, just trying to discuss....

Def love people's thougths on it, and thanks for your feedback slask!

Devo Dan

Known Member
16/12/12
Interesting topic. I am just getting into the rep hobby, but I buy them without thinking of future gains or losses. I find the one I want and go for it. If it sells for less later on, then so be it. It is just the cost of having a good piece for the time I had it. Kind of like with cars. I have had some NICE cars and got rid of them for a new one that I "couldn't live without" until the next "can't live without" comes along...

Check with me in a few years when I am living in my "nice" car because all my money went into reps. Ha!

magnum645

Known Member
29/9/09
I think the ones you have that don't have mods are going to loose value if something new comes out but only if you sell them. If you have a keeper and it has mods, there is only so much more a new version can do. Is it worth anything to anyone after the fact? Maybe not but probably worth alot to you if you had it for a while and did the work. The is not a money making hobby that's for sure. Gens are the only ones that MAY go up.

davylloyd

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/10
I accepted as soon as I started this hobby that it's a moneypit. I totally don't think about my reps in terms of monetary value, for most of them I measure their value in terms of how wide they make me grin.

I have two fairly horrible reps that my daughter brought back from a holiday in Turkey that mean such a lot to me in sentimental value - I'd never sell them.

Debellum

Old and Famous
Patron
29/6/12
Italy
For me it's an hobby.
I spent much money for mod my watchs. I prefer 5 franken/super-modded watchs than 20 reps Noob or others version. If I want make an investment ? I buy a gen Patek Philippe.

Cheers

Junio

The Raven King from Hell

intheshadows

30/8/12
I accepted as soon as I started this hobby that it's a moneypit. I totally don't think about my reps in terms of monetary value, for most of them I measure their value in terms of how wide they make me grin.

I have two fairly horrible reps that my daughter brought back from a holiday in Turkey that mean such a lot to me in sentimental value - I'd never sell them.

Agreed!

This hobby definitely isnt a wise investment most of the time money-wise. But in terms of my "happiness" investment, the returns are more than adequate!

Also, like you, I've got a 10 year old rollie president that was the boss at its time and has sentimental value to me and I wont get rid of it, even if it breaks (it keeps better time than nearly every one of my new reps though! +2 sec/day). Kind of funny when you compare it to new stuff, but it shows me how far these watches have come since I first started.

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
The above definitely sums it up for me.

:aneki:

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
This hobby definitely isnt a wise investment most of the time money-wise. But in terms of my "happiness" investment, the returns are more than adequate!

I have to give you a +1 there my friend. With reps you get what you get.

If you're looking for perfection you'll be dissapointed. Near perfection, you'll be delighted.

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
Agree that no hobby is an investment. And if you are a "collector" then you are just constantly throwing money at the hobby and never getting any back up. If you buy to wear then you aren't going to end up with that many watches you love. Sure, someone will come along and say they love and wear all 150 of their watches. :)

I still think that you'll lose less money on reps than gens. If you buy a new Planet Ocean, for example, for $4000, it will be worth $2500 in a couple of years.

And who's left holding the preverbal bag, a noob? And at that pt is the rep only worth 10-20% of what you have into it?

I haven't seen any pricing like this. I'd be all over reps that sold for $250 two or three years ago for $25 or $50. They don't exist unless they are broken. It seems like people easily sell used reps for 60% to 200% of what they cost depending on the model, scarcity, and desirability.

Personally, I am getting to the point where I'd rather have 5 or 10 super reps that I love to wear than 20 cheap reps. The cheaper reps though are fun for trying out a watch.

AskMeAgain

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/11
For me it's an hobby.
I spent much money for mod my watchs. I prefer 5 franken/super-modded watchs than 20 reps Noob or others version. If I want make an investment ? I buy a gen Patek Philippe.

Cheers

Junio

The Raven King from Hell

pics of the Patek now please!

pinopes

Known Member
27/10/10
True, bud with mods etc you obviously don't get your money back. The 10-20% was a exaggeration , probably around 50% in reality which isn't to bad I guess. Trust me I agree with the general sentiment that reps are good value. Just curious if I should slow it down and get 5-10 super reps instead of always the new noob factory or new model production...

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
As hobbyist we love watches and throwing money in it is what we do.
We may sell some of the reps but most of us would be keeping what we like, and monetary value wouldnt be an issue since we are not gonna sell a keeper away anyway.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
......with regards to replica watches, you're over analyzing a simple hobby for people that love beautiful watches, but don't want to take out a second mortgage on their house to get in the game....if you don't think the dollars invested make investment sense (and it probably doesn't), don't collect reps...try rare coins, stamps, or antique furniture...you'll be much better off! :whistle:

Debellum

Old and Famous
Patron
29/6/12
Italy
pics of the Patek now please!

Hey Ask :lol:
I've wrote : " I buy Patek "
Not that I've a Patek :D
So , if you want get me money for buy it , wow it's ok for me and after I post the Picts ! :)
I send U my PP mail for Patek Found.
Hahahaha… Happy Xmas and " Don't ask me again " if I've a Patek :lol:

Junio

The Raven King from Hell

jd01449

I'm Pretty Popular
20/2/12
I kind of look at collecting reps as a form of entertainment. If anyone buys a rep as an investment, they are in for a rude awakening.

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
I kind of look at collecting reps as a form of entertainment. If anyone buys a rep as an investment, they are in for a rude awakening.

This is the only way of framing my rep habits that I can live with. I don't want to know how much money I've spent, but it's for entertainment, not for amassing a collection. That is incidental. I don't have any other hobbies or things I waste my money on (used to be guns, but where I live now I don't really have the opportunity to go shooting a lot) so it's mostly watches.

However, I have about 8 superreps and a ton of high end straps. Occasionally I think it would be better if I didn't sell things and built up more of a collection, but there really aren't that many reps that I want to wear, so most new ones just sit in the box and end up getting sold to try out something new.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Worth which money? The amount you pay to have it land on your door step? Or the amount you pay for that and the rest (decent lume, necessary mods/repairs, decent straps)?

I am out of the rep thing because I found them lacking in value after trying to get them to be as satisfying as gens. Couldn't get them there, and for the cost/time invested, gens were close enough that I gave up on reps.

One man's story, of course. If I could do my own watch work, this story might have a different ending.

Oh, and a "super rep" is still a rep. No disrespect to Mr. Creme de la Creme, but I haven't found a local watchsmith who will touch a rep.