• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 388 Rep. Who makes the closest one to the Gen?

nomad1984

Horology Curious
9/1/15
I am looking at Purchasing a PAM 388 and was wondering, is the balance wheel located at the 7 o-clock position on the REP(on the display back) of this watch?. I LOVE the 388! I tried one on at Hyde Park and absolutely loved it. Just wondering how close the movement (appearance), and features are compared to the Gen? I know the Front looks PERFECT but was curious on the back. Am I expecting too much for the Rep to look EXACTLY like the Gen in every way? Obviously I know the in-house movement will not be duplicated but it can at least be close correct? In the appearance? I am completely new to watches and am loving the hobby. Just hoping for a little bit more education from some of you experts here.

Thank you!

vz.fanatics

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/12/14
I suggest you read ALE's guide to Panerai reps. it's the best and most extensive guide there is! Here's the link: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=107365
Currently, I think the KW PAM388 V1 with the Seagull movement is the closest to the gen since the balance wheel is at 6 o'clock. The KW PAM388 V2 with the A7750 movement has the balance wheel at the 11 o clock.
I am also looking for a PAM388 but am abit hesitant after reading about problems with the screws that hold the straps.

WalkerDH

I'm Pretty Popular
14/7/14
Bucharest Romania
I just bought a Pam 388o KW v2 with Seagull movement from Toro Bravo. The lugs screw problem was fixed with the V2 version. PM your TD and ask for the V2 with Seagull movement that furthermore is also cheaper that the A7750

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
You will not find a 388 with a movement looking EXACTLY as gen.
There is no such movement in rep world hence you need to choose which one is the most acceptable to you.
I would go for the cheaper seagull, but that's just me :)

vz.fanatics

20/12/14
Thanks WalkerDH. Beautiful watch and good knowing that KW has resolved the screw issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheesemonger

I'm Pretty Popular
23/11/13
You will not find a 388 with a movement looking EXACTLY as gen.
There is no such movement in rep world hence you need to choose which one is the most acceptable to you.
I would go for the cheaper seagull, but that's just me :)

+1. I have had the Seagull v1 for awhile and it has worked well. Might need a little tightening of the rotor, but otherwise has kept good time. I would suspect the v2 Seagull will perform well also.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
+1 in above comments

You will not get a exact copy of the gen movement, but you will get an acceptable appearance to be confused with the gen.
The best and cheaper choice would be a Seagull

KW PAM 388 is one of the best looking rep watches. It has a strong gen-like appearance
If you like the watch go to it

ALE

nomad1984

Horology Curious
9/1/15
Thanks for all the info men. I really do appreciate it. I agree, the balance wheel wheel be a much better feature at 6pm opposed to 11am. I emailed my TD which is Lucy and she comes highly recommended. She recommended thee [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Segoe UI, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif]KW's Tianjin movement. I can't seem to find if this is the same as the V2 Seagull movement. I pm'd 2 other places that were recommended on the extensive guide that carried V2 Seagull and waiting to hear back. TSwatch and toro Bravo were the ones I emailed and I think that's where you purchased yours from Walker? GORGEOUS piece and seeing this makes me want to just pull the trigger. So I have a few emails out and waiting for some replys. In-Time seems to only have this with the 11am movement. Walker- when I looked at Toro- their rep came in a 44mm and I think standard is 45 for this model. Trusty Time was recommended as well on the extensive guide but not listed as a trusted dealer. THoughts on them if you've heard of them? I'll let you boys know how it plays out and can't wait to get a solid pice on the wrist the way you do on the above pic! Thanks again for all the info guys.

[/FONT]

krotzn

1/3/15
Does anyone know, if there will be also a new hfact pam388? Just ordered the 000 and 390. But the 388 is also a great watch. The Seagull Movement would be fine. Don't need any other movement.

Or will there be a new noob or KW soon?

Just want to have a pam388 that will satisfy me. Don't need a gen but want to have the dial and case as close as it is possible for a rep.

Thanks.

krotzn

1/3/15
Thanks! And yes, I am reading this huge guide. Quiet Impressive...

krotzn

1/3/15
Has someone a link to a TD-shop für the KW PAM388 V2 with the Seagull movement?

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Has someone a link to a TD-shop für the KW PAM388 V2 with the Seagull movement?

Since you say you have read the PAM GUIDE you can see there the links to the V2 Seagull. They are clearly indicated

Anyway, things are changing every day in PAM reps, the reps fitted with Seagull indicated in the GUIDE have Seagull inverted movement and there is in the market another version with Seagull non-inverted
http://www.trusty-watch.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=352&products_id=13019

ALE

krotzn

1/3/15
So you would say that this version is the actual best or still the AM388 by ZF with "ZP9000" movement?

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
So you would say that this version is the actual best or still the AM388 by ZF with "ZP9000" movement?

Leaving aside movement the best rep is from KW

Regarding movement if you get a KW Seagull non inverted it will be unbeatable

Between a ZFac ZP9000-V2 non-inverted and Seagull inverted this is up to you

I would alwyas prefer KW version, even with the inverted movement

ALE

krotzn

1/3/15
I am still confused. Sorry. But the link to the watch you posted is a KW, which you recommend?

pukka

Known Member
8/1/15
Definitely bang for the buck and on wrist feel, it's the KW Seagull.
Go for the new non-inverted movement to make it even more gen-like.
Ill be placing an order for mine in the morning :)