• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega x Swatch Mission to Mars steel case mod request

smf88011

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
13/2/24
Are there any watchmakers that is willing do swap the case for a Moonwatch into a metal case? If so, how much do you want to do it? It will be shipped from CONUS to you.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
If you have everything needed to do it, I can do it for
Dave Chappelle GIF

Reactions: shinynewbling25

smf88011

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
13/2/24
Okay, I have a bit of information to consider. Probably going to go DHGate for the reps to be put in the steel cases. It was suggested I get extra movements for these watches.

I will make a decision mid-week about how I am going to proceed.

Caboose

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
So I will say your account is a bit new for anything to sell you anything or you to commission a build, and I know you messaged me on this and I said as much, but please make sure you do not destroy a gen watch to do this. If you want to swap the movement to the gen, completely understand you needing to source a Swatch Irony off eBay or something.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
So I will say your account is a bit new for anything to sell you anything or you to commission a build, and I know you messaged me on this and I said as much, but please make sure you do not destroy a gen watch to do this. If you want to swap the movement to the gen, completely understand you needing to source a Swatch Irony off eBay or something.
I told him I would not do gen aswell.

smf88011

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
13/2/24
I will be getting one of each model of rep from DHGate - someone set me straight on not doing it with the gens. They also told me to get a spare movement for each of these watches with a few extras on hand.

Are you on Reddit? I have bought a few watches from the thereptimebst group. Maybe that would be enough to help you do this? I got a VSF Cookie Monster about 2 months ago and just bought the Mission to Mars Gen earlier today. There were another 5 or 6 purchases besides that but they were in the genuine watches category.

IF I did ask you to do this, I would send you the $ before you started to do ANY work. Would that help easing your mind? If it isn't, what can I do to build up my rep enough to get it so I can get others to help?

Oh, the reason why I am trying to do it this way is because "the boss" (AKA my wife) said the only way she will let me buy these watches is if I buy them and immediately move them to the steel cases before I buy any more watches. LOL

I don't know if you saw it but I had my 128 watch collection stolen back in November 2018. I lost ALL desire for doing anything with watches for 5 years. I went down the rabbit hole around that time and have bought something like 30 watches since then.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
You had 128 watches stolen, which even at rep level is a lot of money. May I suggest to invest some of your money into a safe that cannot be taken out of your house easily? Or did you have those 128 watches just under your pillow or in the trunk of your car?

smf88011

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
13/2/24
You had 128 watches stolen, which even at rep level is a lot of money. May I suggest to invest some of your money into a safe that cannot be taken out of your house easily? Or did you have those 128 watches just under your pillow or in the trunk of your car?
They were spread out in 5 safes and 11 lock boxes I had in the house when it was burglarized. I just posted about the tale of my watch collecting saga in the New Member Introduction thread. You might want to read it before you make any more idiotic comments.

Caboose

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
They were spread out in 5 safes and 11 lock boxes I had in the house when it was burglarized. I just posted about the tale of my watch collecting saga in the New Member Introduction thread. You might want to read it before you make any more idiotic comments.
While I appreciate you offering to pay up front, this is not an issue of money, but of reputation. If you were a regular here I would be happy to sell you metal moonswatches. However, you are new, and are not established here. Additionally, I will also say that any reputation you have on reddit will be unlikely to transfer over to here.

Finally, calling @Hesekiel who actually is a member here and an owner of one of my watches an idiot - is ill advised.

smf88011

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
13/2/24
I decided to give up on this project AND to give up on this forum. If nobody is willing to do business with me because I haven't a reputation, how can I get a reputation? What does a reputation have to do when you are paying upfront for something? Shouldn't it be the SELLER or PROVIDER of the service's reputation at stake?

As for Hesekiel and my reply, he attacked a VICTIM with his comment. Isn't that sort of saying a woman wouldn't get raped if she didn't wear certain types of clothing? THAT is uncalled for and idiotic. I can easily prove what happened - I have a copy of the Policia Morelos police report to share if anyone wants to see it. Do you want to see it?

I will review PMs on here for a few days but I will delete my account next week. I am keeping it open so I can provide links to the police report if they want to see it. They are in Spanish and are scans of the papers.

Caboose

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
I decided to give up on this project AND to give up on this forum. If nobody is willing to do business with me because I haven't a reputation, how can I get a reputation? What does a reputation have to do when you are paying upfront for something? Shouldn't it be the SELLER or PROVIDER of the service's reputation at stake?

As for Hesekiel and my reply, he attacked a VICTIM with his comment. Isn't that sort of saying a woman wouldn't get raped if she didn't wear certain types of clothing? THAT is uncalled for and idiotic. I can easily prove what happened - I have a copy of the Policia Morelos police report to share if anyone wants to see it. Do you want to see it?

I will review PMs on here for a few days but I will delete my account next week. I am keeping it open so I can provide links to the police report if they want to see it. They are in Spanish and are scans of the papers.
Sorry to hear this!

Nobody is questioning your burglary or claiming you are not a victim. I think the asking how it happened and suggesting safe storage of watches is reasonable.

The way you get reputation here is to contribute knowledge and ask questions in the community. Participation is not a big ask. You can't just throw money at people. Most of us mod watches for fun, not money. There are much better ways to make money, and that's why this is a hobby.

This forum is about sharing a common love of horology, not just buying and selling watches.

Reactions: virgindaddy and KGZ

smf88011

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
13/2/24
Sorry to hear this!

Nobody is questioning your burglary or claiming you are not a victim. I think the asking how it happened and suggesting safe storage of watches is reasonable.

The way you get reputation here is to contribute knowledge and ask questions in the community. Participation is not a big ask. You can't just throw money at people. Most of us mod watches for fun, not money. There are much better ways to make money, and that's why this is a hobby.

This forum is about sharing a common love of horology, not just buying and selling watches.
1 - they attacked the victim in the crime without having the full information. That was idiotic on their part. It wasn't questioning it or giving suggestions - it was an attack. When you have about $250-350k in watches, jewelry, and computers stolen from a home, it isn't because of a lack of proper storage.

2 - I was asking to get parts I needed to be able to participate in this forum. I wanted to get the entire collection in one place and show just how neat the before versus after was. I cannot do a lot of this stuff on my own right now due to recovering from a stroke. If anything, people should be encouraging me to do what I can to get back into the hobby and not putting up roadblocks.

3 - No, I am done here. I have seen the true "reputation" snobbery where it comes to what is going on. People will not bother to ask questions, find out why people are trying to do things, and what motivated them to get into the hobby before they put up barriers to them.

4 - I do not need the stress to my health after the heart attack and stroke I had. Unless something changes in me and in the attitude of those that are on this forum, you guys lost someone that was willing to help others in any way that they could. In fact, there is 3 people on here that were able to buy equipment/parts for something they really wanted to do here because my generosity. That won't be happening anymore.

Caboose

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
1 - they attacked the victim in the crime without having the full information. That was idiotic on their part. It wasn't questioning it or giving suggestions - it was an attack. When you have about $250-350k in watches, jewelry, and computers stolen from a home, it isn't because of a lack of proper storage.

2 - I was asking to get parts I needed to be able to participate in this forum. I wanted to get the entire collection in one place and show just how neat the before versus after was. I cannot do a lot of this stuff on my own right now due to recovering from a stroke. If anything, people should be encouraging me to do what I can to get back into the hobby and not putting up roadblocks.

3 - No, I am done here. I have seen the true "reputation" snobbery where it comes to what is going on. People will not bother to ask questions, find out why people are trying to do things, and what motivated them to get into the hobby before they put up barriers to them.

4 - I do not need the stress to my health after the heart attack and stroke I had. Unless something changes in me and in the attitude of those that are on this forum, you guys lost someone that was willing to help others in any way that they could. In fact, there is 3 people on here that were able to buy equipment/parts for something they really wanted to do here because my generosity. That won't be happening anymore.
The only barrier is participation. That's it. That's a pretty low barrier.

Regardless, I wish you luck with your health and your recovery, and am sorry we won't be getting to see the full set of metal Moonswatches. That would be a cool picture!

Reactions: ck7747 and Karbon74

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
It’s not always about money…your reputation and attitude will also determine whether someone wants to do business with you or not.

You can build your reputation by participating in this wonderful forum and having positive interactions with other members.

A bad attitude is a lot harder to shake.

A thick skin is needed as well as a lot of patience.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
This forum is a genuine treasure chest for many people; it sure has been for me in the past 8 years I've been here. I've learned so much and got so much information about watches, it's almost unreal. In addition, I've been able to purchase watches I would otherwise NEVER been able to get my hands on. It was a steep learning curve, and I'm still learning every day, and it was well worth it.

But like any forum, it's not the right fit for everybody out there. It's not unusual to have a new member asking strange questions, i.e., what's the "best replica" and be upset about responses they receive. We have our certain ways here on RWI, and *some people* just can't cope with it.
@smf88011 . . . wishing you the very best on your future watch endeavors, may it be on Reddit, or somewhere else.

P.S. 5 safes and 11 lock boxes for watches . . . wow, just wow!

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region

friend.
Noone is doubting you and your word.

The only thing that is being said is that we only have a few posts from a new uncertified account from a random stranger. It's hard to make any kind of opinion based on this.

Doing all the Moonswatches will take some hours of work. None of us hobbyists make serious money out of this. That's not even the point...

For myself, I can make >$1000 an hour just by accepting an adhoc consulting request from the dozen in my linkedin InMail box. It's clearly not the token few tens of euros charged on top of parts that's our motivation.

The only request we are making out of you is that you engage in the discussions and you contribute positively to the community, before we consider taking such work. That does not feel like any form of irrespect, does it?

If you do find this request too onerous, then indeed, you should give up on RWI.

Reactions: ck7747 and Hesekiel

ssf88130

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
23/3/24
Rest in peace Dad!

Steve (SMF88011) is/was my father. He had a hemorrhagic stroke on Sunday.