• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega UPO Franken Bezel help!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
Thanks for that "Q">>>>

A real classic post!!!....Bookmarked for future reference for sure!!!

This "hobby" makes a lot more sense to me when we can occasionally step back and laugh at our own insanity without getting nasty..!!

And as you're aware, I do that A LOT!!!,,,;-)...;-)

Inushuk

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/10/10
As per what Uwe told me about my Ultra Franken UPO it took a while and some mods to swap Rep Bezel to Gen One.

here is an email Uwe sent me when he was doing the bezel :

"The bezel is a little problem. It is 2mm of from the rehaut but I have fixed it.

The only problem where I am thinking about is the ring under the bezel. It makes the clicks and block the bezel to the direction against clockwise direction.

Normally it sits 3mm deeper...but I am thinking about the problem and keep you informed.

Thanks
Uwe"

Best is to send him a mail and ask him how he did it.
Below the thread of my Franken...

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/my-upo-franken-70348

here is the video done by Uwe after the modding

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmJaz0YQck8"]SAM 2315 - YouTube[/ame]

qsb5

Known Member
3/8/11
Thanks for the info Inushuk! That bezel rotates and clicks exactly like the gen! Amazing! I think I'm going to hold off getting the gen bezel until I can get more info on how to do it (Response from uwe) and I might order an aftermarket bezel from ebay in the meantime.

I noticed that you have had experience with the aftermarket bezel insert, is it a straight swap out of the box? Or are there some modding required? Hows the quality of the pearl? Is the pearl sitting on top of the bezel or is there a hole in the bezel like the rep/gen? Do you have any close up shots of the aftermarket bezel?

Inushuk

19/10/10
R2D4 gave all explanation on the previous page about this aftermarket insert ...
How to modd it to have a nice pearl better than on my brother's

here are some picts

The insert
insertwholesaloutet990.jpg

The insert monted on my brother franken UPO
110328upossb01.jpg

Difference with Aftermarket insert on a Rep Bezel (left) and Gen full bezel (right)
uweupo11.jpg

qsb5

Known Member
3/8/11
Forgot about R2D4's post :p

Any ideas on how to make the hole in the aftermarket larger without damaging it? Did you do anything to fit the aftermarket insert into the rep bezel? Any adhesive required for the insert?

Inushuk

19/10/10
I don't know about the hole as I did not do any mod on this one.
Just took the insert off ; clean the bezel and glued the aftermarket one on !

Dingo1974

Horology Curious
4/9/11
I don't know about the hole as I did not do any mod on this one.
Just took the insert off ; clean the bezel and glued the aftermarket one on !

What's the best method of removing the insert? I've read it's a case of heating it up with a hairdryer or something to loosen the glue then try and prise it up with a fine knife.

Are there any other tips?

Thanks

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
What's the best method of removing the insert? I've read it's a case of heating it up with a hairdryer or something to loosen the glue then try and prise it up with a fine knife.

Are there any other tips?

Thanks

There is but it might destroy yr current bezel. Drill a small hole(not too deep to damage yr bezel holder) and use tweezer go in and hook/pull out the old bezel. This method is the safest without accidentally damage other part of the watch. It will most likely bend yr old bezel.

I try the heat up and prise it with knife. Very risky and nearly scratch my bezel holder and crystal. The rep maker uses plenty of strong double side tape which you need certain force to prise it out...

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
Aftermarket one from Wholesaleoutlet990 on ebay has arrived. It is, compared to the rep one, a 100% improvement and close enough to gen for all to be happy with.

Except lume is crap and the pearl is in need of some shaping.

But as it is more than 800% cheaper than gen, it rocks. :cheer:

sunnydale

29/8/09
I got mine today, the pearl is not centered. I am not happy with it. It is way off but not touching the edges at least. I informed the seller, hopefully he will reply soon.

qsb5

Known Member
3/8/11
I got mine today, the pearl is not centered. I am not happy with it. It is way off but not touching the edges at least. I informed the seller, hopefully he will reply soon.

Pictures? Did you specifically requested put an emphasis on the centred pearl when you ordered?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
You were fro the unlucky ones... I bought the same one months ago and i got this

IMAG0057.jpg

So its a hit and miss...

sunnydale

29/8/09
The seller wanted pictures so they are there. Lets see what he replies.

sunnydale

29/8/09
They shipped me another one, the shipper was adviced to choose good one! Now only 10-30 days waiting time... :)

qsb5

Known Member
3/8/11
dang, I didn't realize that the pearl was sitting on top of the bezel and not in the bezel.. Hmm, drilling the bezel without damaging it would be extremely difficult. Looks like Gen is the only way to go.. How hard was the installation Sunnydale? Did it fit without any modification? How did you manage to pry the original insert off?

sunnydale

29/8/09
qsb5, the bezel insert has a hole but it is smaller than the pearl. Did someone changed the pearl to gen one I remember? So it should be possible to drill a bigger hole for the pearl. Insert is really thin so be careful.

Installation was easy, I took a sharp knife and made a small hole to insert and bended it off. As I was too keen to take it off quickly, I made a small scratch on the bezel :( It would not have happened if I would have made the hole more center to the insert. But nevertheless taking off is easy, there are many threads telling how to heat up the glue or make a hole. If you can take off the whole bezel changing insert is easier. My method destroys the old insert (I would have burned it anyway, it looked awful so no harm done).

New insert is not exactly the same as old so I took a bit aluminium off from the backside of the insert (same way as someone did when he changed gen insert to rep bezel).The insert sits a bit higher on the bezel than older one but I don't mind because you cannot see it really. The diameter is the same so it is a direct fit.

Although my pearl is not centered it is a huge improvement to older green one. And luckily new one is on its way!