• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega UPO Franken Bezel help!

qsb5

Known Member
3/8/11
I'm getting a franken UPO ready for work, so far I've acquired the gen dial, hands and crystal. I'm debating on whether I should get the gen bezel from ofrei as well.

So the question is, will the gen bezel fit without any modification like the 42mm? I talked to a couple of modders about this and so far, Vac doesn't do the bezel and Goin is unsure whether it will fit right out of the box.. So yeah, any inputs on this would be greatly helpful..

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
If the bezel insert only, yes , will fit well but you need sanding of the bezel bottom insert. As for the whole bezel to fit in, it need some modification. Rep bezel and gen bezel are different. Anyway, the rep bezel is damm spot on, i dont see the need to replace the bezel insert holder. Only the insert needs to replace.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
It wont fit. It need modification for sure. Because the money are too many just get an aftermarket bezel with decent pearl and there you go, no troubles, no risks...

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
It wont fit. It need modification for sure. Because the money are too many just get an aftermarket bezel with decent pearl and there you go, no troubles, no risks...

For PO, none of the after market bezel insert is as good as gen. yes i see some pearl is center but the pearl trim sits too high. Not like rolex sub, there are some very good after market bezel insert for sub.

Yes, its pricy but end of the day, you are getting a gen insert.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Yes you are correct one that, but you can trim that thing down and get a nice result. At last this is waht i did and add a gen pearl... And here is the result.

IMAG0139.jpg

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
I will say the gen bezel insert is still worth buying , if you are perfectionist. I dare to say when a lot of people look out for PO rep, the first thing they look at is your pearl to verify whether yr PO is gen ir rep.

qsb5

Known Member
3/8/11
Where do you get a gen insert? I've been looking on ofrei and ebay and I couldn't find one.

Not sure about getting the gen pearl, its almost impossible to find from where I am.. :(

Did you get the aftermarket bezel insert from wholesaleoutlet990?

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
Where do you get a gen insert? I've been looking on ofrei and ebay and I couldn't find one.

Not sure about getting the gen pearl, its almost impossible to find from where I am.. :(

They sell it as a package, no insert only. So u need to buy the while bezel. You can get it from ofrei.

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10

I bought the Wholesaleoutlet one. Will let you know if it's any good when in comes in.

qsb5

Known Member
3/8/11
I bought the Wholesaleoutlet one. Will let you know if it's any good when in comes in.

Great! Thanks man.

Btw, which one did you get? He has 2 different black bezel for the 45.5mm. One is $27 I believe, and the other $35.

qsb5

Known Member
3/8/11
Hmm, the pearl looks slightly different. But the positioning of the pearl is still way too low and not centred though.. I recall seeing a perfectly centred pearl from the same seller somewhere in the forum and it looked quite good. So I don't know, you might have to request him for a good one.

I e-mailed him today and he did not answer a single question I had for him. When I asked the difference he only said "get the expensive one" wth.

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
When I asked him to send a picture of the insert he said that I will get as shown in the picture on Ebay...no other pictures. I took the more expensive one. Lets see if it is good. Still worth a shot.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
The pearl on the aftermarket inserts, you need to flick it and pitch it. They are crappy outties. Then you may have to open up the hole on the new insert with a needle file for your rep pearl which should sit under the insert.

qsb5

Known Member
3/8/11
So, what you're saying, the rep pearl is sitting on top of the insert? And there is no hole on the insert for the pearl to sit in?

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
The Aftermarket Insert has a zit sitting on top of it's surface. There is a smaller hole underneath for which you can push the Rep Pearl (The one that came with your watch) from underneath. The hole in the Aftermarket insert may be too small, hence you may have to enlarge it.

Did I confuse you? Almost confused myself tbh. ;)

qsb5

Known Member
3/8/11
Oh gotcha!

I'll post a few pictures once the aftermarket bezel comes in and post the result.

Definitely very tempting to get a gen bezel, but the damned thing is more expensive than the watch itself not to mention it needs heavy modding, I don't know if I have the balls to do it myself :(

I've read a thread by Inushuk somewhere that Uwe successfully installed the gen bezel as a whole, instead of the insert only. Anybody know what modding(s) are required? And how difficult it is?

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
I am interested of the same thing. Uwe had to do modding but what?

qsb5

Known Member
3/8/11
I am interested of the same thing. Uwe had to do modding but what?

Doesn't seem like a lot of people know how to transplant the whole gen bezel into a UPO. I've been searching all over RWI, RG and RWG and found nothing on this matter. The only confirmed successful installation of the gen bezel is by Uwe.. But since he's in Germany, its really inconvenient for me to use his services due to the difficulty of German customs..

This sucks..

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
Where praytell ARE that "lot of people" >>>

I will say the gen bezel insert is still worth buying , if you are perfectionist. I dare to say when a lot of people look out for PO rep, the first thing they look at is your pearl to verify whether yr PO is gen ir rep.
Who are so vigilantly "look out" for those PO reps..???...Certainly not on MY planet!!!...I've been wearing occasionally, a very badly flawed (by our standards) PO for over 5 years now, and have only had ONE fellow human even notice it...AND he liked it!!!(BTW...HE was wearing a GEN, PO at the time!!)

I'm not saying it's wrong to be overly obsessive about your watches...Just don't try to blame the "sane" folks out there!!!...;-)...;-)