• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Moonswatch reps - review of the cheap as chips new versions

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
So after seeing @cvp3's post on the Moonswatch reps I decided to look around a bit on the Gate and Alibaba. As you know there have been several versions of this rep floating around and they all had mineral crystals and fake battery doors. Colors were off to varying degrees and the movements were microsteppers. So I talked to some sellers I have used and got better info. I talked to my Alibaba guy he had an old version for about $30 with the mineral glass crystal. That's an old version so I passed. The seller who had the most sales on DHGate answered me during CNY and told me he had a new version that had the plexi and better engravings. They still have the microstepper quartz movement. Coupons and quantity discounts brought all that down to $217.19 for all 11 Moonswatch reps. Seemed a no brainer.

I ordinarily would post these in an Ali/Gate section but there isn't one here. In truth you'd be nuts to order these from a TD. Way too cheap elsewhere and there is no margin on these for a TD and shipping would kill the deal.

They got here in 17 days and 5 of those were waiting for CNY to end to be able to ship. I really like these and and I was sure I would not. While they are not spot on, these are really nice looking. I'll look at one of them in detail and then show you all the dials.

So lets start with the group pic:

3eH6xW.jpg

and now the Uranus model. Biggest issue is the dial. Its iridescent , but the gen is flat. It actually looks better than the gen to me. The ad said that it has an S in the center of the plexi and its there.

3eHUX2.jpg

I'd note that this strap is supposed to be the same length as the gen, and in order to see all that Speedmaster logo stuff on the band your wrist can't exceed 7.5 inches. You can still wear it but I think it would look funny.

3eHAs5.jpg
3eH29p.jpg
3eHhKb.jpg
3eHeDF.jpg

Now all the different dials. There are shade variations between the reps and gens if you compare them online but I don't think anyone would ever know the difference unless you had them side by side. The Saturn for instance looks a bit different than the gen, but not worse. And its a difference in the color graduation in the planet, hardly noticeable.

And I honestly think some of these reps look better than the gens.

3eHWbE.jpg
3eH5qt.jpg
3eHiUn.jpg
3eHIhY.jpg
3eHOnD.jpg
3eHmQ3.jpg

Note that this one has the 9 subdial installed incorrectly. I fixed it but some might not have the skill. Still, 1 out of 11 with a problem isn't bad.
3eHoRs.jpg
3eHYsk.jpg
3eH1Zo.jpg
3eH9qJ.jpg

I think I like the Earth one the best.

3eHrUS.jpg
3eHtQQ.jpg

The battery door looks functional.

3eHnXP.jpg

And opening one it obviously is. However its far easier to pop off the case back.

So it has a removable case back with a rubber o ring. The battery door is functional too.

3eYYqW.jpg

I'm replacing all those fake Renata batteries as they are known to leak.

All in all these are good enough for me as the gen ain't all that great either. I got them all for less than one. Great stocking stuffers.

Here is the link I used. Mods take that out if you think it inappropriate. I include it because I think it would be foolish to purchase these from a TD. As I said earlier, no margin for them and ridiculous shipping for something this cheap. Final verdict these punch way above their price point. To me this is what a rep should be. Reasonably close to the gen, and throwaway cheap. YMMV

https://www.dhgate.com/product/bioceramic-planet-moon-mens-watches-full/776581467.html

Last edited:

haze3715

walked out, no purchase history.
Supporter
Certified
8/8/21
Canada
I bought from the same seller as well. I got the Moon, Uranus, and Jupiter.

The Jupiter one I was the most excited for and the sparkly orangey bezel and dial is the same colour.

You pointed out the differences for the Uranus. Not digging it thus far.

Lume on the Moon is way more green than it should be. So far it is the only one I can tolerate, lol

Dial on the Moon and Mercury look the same - can you confirm?

Is the bezel and dial on the Neptune matte?

rek00001

24/4/13
This is very cool!
I got the Mission on Earth from the same seller, about 2 months ago, as it was my favorite version also.

I was very disappointed, it came with shiny brushed steel subdials, a huge giveaway. Watches_77 said they all come that way. It cooled my enthusiasm for these reps, but now I may re-consider getting another one. Your M on E has the correct matte white subs.

Reactions: JimmyBobby

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Thank you for the super interesting write-up. Much appreciated! One follow-up question . . . so guys with a larger wrist, say 8" plus, are out of luck?

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Wow TY for that Rich. I am fascinated by them, I still do not know if I like them. I was really pissed off when I could not get a real one as I live in Ireland and they are just not sold here and it looks like they will never be. I bought one of the old reps: the Saturn one for around €30. I was pretty pleased with it but it is by no means a daily wearer.

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
I bought from the same seller as well. I got the Moon, Uranus, and Jupiter.

The Jupiter one I was the most excited for and the sparkly orangey bezel and dial is the same colour.

You pointed out the differences for the Uranus. Not digging it thus far.

Lume on the Moon is way more green than it should be. So far it is the only one I can tolerate, lol

Dial on the Moon and Mercury look the same - can you confirm?

Is the bezel and dial on the Neptune matte?
Yes Moon and Mercury are the same. The bezel and dial on Neptune is matte. Dial is a blue version of the Moon really.

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Thank you for the super interesting write-up. Much appreciated! One follow-up question . . . so guys with a larger wrist, say 8" plus, are out of luck?
Well, you could put them on a nato or one of the many, many rubber straps that are now on Ali and the Gate for these. My wrist is 7.5 and you can see where the strap hits. You can wear them if you have a larger wrist, but you won't see all the logos on the strap. I'm buying some of the rubber straps anyway as they add a nice variety.

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Wow TY for that Rich. I am fascinated by them, I still do not know if I like them. I was really pissed off when I could not get a real one as I live in Ireland and they are just not sold here and it looks like they will never be. I bought one of the old reps: the Saturn one for around €30. I was pretty pleased with it but it is by no means a daily wearer.
Yeah, exactly the way I felt. But honestly I play a lot of pickle ball and tennis and these are great for that. Great gym watch.

Just not in the pool...................... :)

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
@C Master et al so I was going to replace all the fake Renata batteries. Guess what? They are REALLY fake batteries. As in it just a piece of metal glued to the movement under the battery door. The door doesn't line up with the real battery!

What will they think of next?

3exhXi.jpg

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
@C Master et al so I was going to replace all the fake Renata batteries. Guess what? They are REALLY fake batteries. As in it just a piece of metal glued to the movement under the battery door. The door doesn't line up with the real battery!

3exhXi.jpg
LMAO that is a proper fake. Full marks on that one. AAA+++ rating at least.

haze3715

walked out, no purchase history.
Supporter
Certified
8/8/21
Canada

3exhXi.jpg
Holy shit. I need to go crack one of mine open and check it out.

Thanks for your feedback on the Neptune colours and dial. I wonder how much wear these things are going to get. *maybe* 1 week out of the whole year, lol?

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I got the $35 moon a bit before Christmas and it’s one of my favourite watches. I usually wear it on a RAF strap as I prefer it to the regular one, and I’m ordering a NASA Velcro strap from Cheapnatostraps soon too.

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
For fuck sakes!
this thread just cost me $30
better than this....