• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Okay... I HAVE to ask...

geopatr69

Renowned Member
28/3/06
:D :D @Roeod4- That was a great story 8) And I thought I was the only one who had the same experience!! :lol: :lol:

16520b

16/4/06
Omg, that is so true. I used to be a Rolex guy having many gens including a SS Daytona ..... until I ordered a El V2 Fiddy ..... omg so beautiful, now I have 2 Pams and 2 more coming :lol:

Roeod4 said:
I was just like everyone of you who doesn't get it........until THE DAY.

I had seen them on the forums for months and kept hearing the name repeated in thread after thread. I didn't get it, they were just these plain looking oversized wall clocks that people were wearing on their wrists. They all look the exact same and most don't even come on a bracelet, they come bands, oh no they call them straps.....straps....and they buy more than one for just the one watch......can't they make up their minds? At that point I decided that I needed to see one in person. This would help me make up my mind and maybe understand the lust for these things or I could at least decide that I hated them.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I beg to differ with you guys. Though I admit I own more than one piece, I don't have the urge to obtain anymore new PAMs in near future.

16520b

16/4/06
I guess part of the reason that got me hooked is the compliment from others ..... they always assume they are gen....... i guess "stealth" is the word 8)

don't get much compliment when wearing my gen rolexes except when i have the ss daytona on ......

canuck88

25/3/06
I had the same feeling until I decided to get a 212 flyback to see what the fuss was about - once you have it on your wrist, I promise you'll change you're mind :)

Repmaniac

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
15/3/06
Well, hat to sound like a broken record, but it's true. You gotta have one to understand. AND, once you get one, your adventure isn't over because now you get to play with the straps! :D

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
takashi said:
Mercedes vs BMW to put it in more modern term :twisted:
Mac vs. Windows PC, if you want to be modern. Sega vs. Nintendo for our Glorious Dr Hamster ... er, DRMMaster

bremerk2

26/3/06
Panpan

My only concern is-I hope "They" don't flood the market with these ugly ducklings @ $15.00 a copy. Than everybody will get at least a dozen and the world becomes a PANERAI.

Spring is eternal

casey

Horology Curious
6/4/06
pannies

The main reason for my like of panny reps is the qaulity and the fact that they look so darn real. Not to many reps you can say that about and I have owned many reps from different brands and in my opinion nothing compares.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Why Panerai

You know, I used to think the same as you do. I couldn't understand why anyone would want a Panny, UNTIL I tried one on. As soon as I put it on my wrist, I wanted one. You need to go to a store that sells Panerai, and try a few on. I'll wager that you will end up owning a PAM rep within 60 days after you do that.

al0857

Horology Curious
28/4/06
Okay... I HAVE to ask...

------

When Pam 1st time introduced to me, I was totally no interested in this BIG Toy. Once I bot my first PR, I could not stop myself to get more and more. Right now, I have a 090, 192 and is buying another soon.

Yeh, just get one and you will find out why Pam is so attractive.

ken72

Renowned Member
19/3/06
I was not a fan of panerai either until I purchased a base model rep. It soon became my daily wear. I had to get rid of it though because it dwarfed all my other watches. It made my real rolex oysterdate (which I loved) and my real tag heuer automatic 2000 chrono and anything else in my case look like a small ladies watch. I found it hard to wear anything else. As much as I like the looks and the attention it attracted, I had to let it go. It was just making it too hard to realy enjoy my other watches. I will admit they are very addictive so be very careful if you buy one. You may find yourself making a hard choice between keeping the pan and selling everything else off selling it to save the rest of you collection.

ryaku

3/4/06
I don't like em at all and it's likely i won't change my mind. :?

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
Some people do some people dont..thats life..same kind ..with cars...I dont like porche and dont intend to buy one if I have money...so its the same feeling...

dont go for it..if you dont really like it..coz..once you buy it....you will bankrupt...

Monty

Known Member
6/4/06
Experience

I went to the Jewelers and asked to see the Panerai watches. I was shown the Captains alarm watch (automatic) the 183 and one other that I cannot recall. The Captain's watch had either a 40 or 42mm dial. The others were 44. I have a wimpy 6.5 inch wrist. I tried on the 44 mm. It looked terrible compared to the 40mm Submariner that I was wearing.

Nevertheless, there was something about the simplicity of design, the curved crystal, the blue reflective tint, and the blue screws in the movement. Also, they just felt nice, kind of a buttery smooth feel.

So I waited around until a used 111 came up on the foum, the TRC forum that is. It was one of the early EL 111s with the Swiss Unitas movement and the upside down Panerai Plates on the back. Eddie Lee said that he thought that the early 111s were the best. Reliable etc., although he never really gave his reasons or justification for this although he was asked about it.

I purchased it and received it. I was thrilled. It looked like heck on my wrist. However, if I wear a long sleeve shirt then that helps to make it look a lot better as when the watch is seen, the cuff of the shirt balances out my skinny wrist. Since I wear long sleeve dress shirts on most days it works out fine. However, if I wear a short sleeve shirt, the look is comparable to a small boy clomping around in his father's shoes.

Anyway, I really like the large numbers, the bright bright superluminova glow that is seen even in the daylight, and the other characteristics I mentioned above. I only have the 111 and I really do not think I will get another although I do like the tuxedo hands on one of the models.

In short, the photos of the Panerai watches never capture that certain Panerai quality that people find attractive. In regard to notice, when I wear it people notice it probably five to one than the Rolex. They don't know what it is but they like it and comment on it.

F.P. Journe

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/3/06
There are very few watches I don't like :) They say "diamonds are a girl's best friend". Well, they can have 'em. For the boys, it's watches :twisted:

THOR509

Renowned Member
12/4/06
why ill buy a Pam Vintage california dial:)

1 There are not that many Pans "in the wild" . Im 76 and have never seen one worn:)
2 I love simplicity. Thats why ill buy a california dial
3 Quality of reproduction and mvmts
4 Finish
5 Unusual crown
6 They just look"right" when on a strap . Omaga. brittling and rolax do not. they are "natural"on a bracelet
7 I have nothing against other watches. I have a gen omega, a gen girard perageux, a gen solid gold mirexal, a 25 YO movado rep , the"museum" one , 2 rolax sub reps, and an omaga rep LOL

I will buy this pam soon and will prob be the only one i buy:)

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
actually, I like both rolex and panerai...

there is a certain fascination with the pannies that
grows on you..

: )

Life is Good!
Klink