• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Okay... I HAVE to ask...

tiresmoke

8/4/06
I've been thinking this since I started getting into watches but I've been afraid to ask the question. But I've come to a point where I just have to ask...

What is the deal with everyone's fascination with Panerai watches? Am I the *only* one in the world (or at least on these boards) who doesn't like Panerai's? I'm beginning to think that I might have some sort of mental defect. ( okay, I didn't just set myself up there or anything! :wink: )

I'll duck now and take the flames.

Smoke

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
It's okay mate... You've supporters too. All in all, it goes back to personal taste. That's the bottom line.

luisik

20/3/06
I am with you... i personally think this is just a fashion where everybody wants to look as a movie star.
My hat off to some marketing manager somewhere in Hollywood...

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
tiresmoke said:
Am I the *only* one in the world (or at least on these boards) who doesn't like Panerai's?
Well, I dislike new ones, will that do?

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
:lol: history will repeat itself... Again people... Personal preference.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
there is only one watch worth having in the world..
Rolex Submariner LV

Panerai are an Italian blight upon the universe, designed by
people with no taste for people with no taste

:D

Klink
Life is Good!

well, maybe not completely accurate
as to my view.. i like both.. guess i am only
half tasteless.. but, which half?

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
Klink said:
there is only one watch worth having in the world..
Rolex Submariner LV

Panerai are an Italian blight upon the universe, designed by
people with no taste for people with no taste

:D

Klink
Life is Good!

well, maybe not completely accurate
as to my view.. i like both.. guess i am only
half tasteless.. but, which half?
your not the only one. i don't care for them either. but thats just me.

eLiNK

2/4/06
tiresmoke said:
Am I the *only* one in the world (or at least on these boards) who doesn't like Panerai's?

You are not the only one.

Aliens are everywhere.

I'm one of them.

eLiNK

2/4/06
But as my collection grows, I find it increasingly difficult not to consider adding something different.

tiresmoke

8/4/06
I suppose that down the road a bit, I might possibly consider one; but I don't see it happening any time soon. There are sooo many models of Rolex, Omega, and Breitling that I want before I will get bored enough for a Panerai. :lol:

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
Panerai watches

Quote from one of the guy at the P site:

"It is like children. You don't understand until you have one."

And then two, three,.........

geopatr69

Renowned Member
28/3/06
:lol: :lol: You can not have just one!! :lol: :lol: You wont understand until you jump in buy the first one!! And then watch out!!! :lol: :lol: And on the other hand you may be one of the few immune to the Panerai curse!! :D :D But you'll never know unless you buy one!! :D :D

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
boy am I stupid!
It ust occurred to me what is going on here..

It is the classic 'Ford vs. Chevy' discussion!

LMAO!

Life is Good!
Klink

rah

29/3/06
I also have no desire to have one. Rolex and Omega are my watches of choice. I agree Klink it is the classic Ford and Chevie thing. It might also be an age thing. At 60 I have no desire to switch my taste or my preferance.

Maybe if someone gave me one I might wear it just out of gratitude to the benefactor.

RAH

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
I was just like everyone of you who doesn't get it........until THE DAY.

I had seen them on the forums for months and kept hearing the name repeated in thread after thread. I didn't get it, they were just these plain looking oversized wall clocks that people were wearing on their wrists. They all look the exact same and most don't even come on a bracelet, they come bands, oh no they call them straps.....straps....and they buy more than one for just the one watch......can't they make up their minds? At that point I decided that I needed to see one in person. This would help me make up my mind and maybe understand the lust for these things or I could at least decide that I hated them.

I looked up the Panerai website and found the AD in my area....the ONLY AD in my area. Weird!

So, on THE DAY we decided to head down to the mall that contained the AD. It was a nice day out and the sun was sitting high in the sky. We talked about going to different stores and maybe eating at one of the nicer restaurants, but I reminded her that my main interest was the watch store. She smiled and rolled her eyes, but she said that she remembered.

Once we arrived and found the store I was in heaven. Watches and watches and nothing but watches this was the greatest store ever. I looked at the Pateks, the JLCs, the Breitlings, the Omegas, the Rolexes.......and then I saw the case. The great big Panerai display case that should have contained 20 something watches, but only contained 3. I was a little surprised, but I stared at the 3 they had anyway.

As I stood there a clerk popped up from nowhere and asked if he could show me anything. I told him that I was interested in looking at the Panerai that they had and asked why they only had 3. He laughed and told me the rest of them sold yesterday. He opened the case and asked me which I preferred. I thought about it and not really knowing the difference I asked for the white one. He handed me a PAM 113. I took it and began to look at it. The leather was very nice and the dial looked much better than in any of the pictures I had seen. I really liked the look of the movement and seeing it in real life was pretty cool. I showed it to my wife and she smiled, but didn't pay much attention. The clerk suggested that I try it on, with a very big smile.

I held out my wrist and placed the watch on the appropriate spot, the leather band wrapped itself around my wrist and I began to fasten the buckle. I noticed right away that the leather was very soft against my skin and that the metal and glass on the back of the watch were very cool. Once the buckle was fastened I turned my wrist back to look at the dial. Just then lightning flashed outside and the thunder shook the entire room. The lights in the store flickered and then steadied. The earth began to tremble and everything in my peripheral vision became extremely blurry. The whole room began to spin out of control and everything went completly silent, but I could not take my eyes off the watch.

Suddenly I was brought back by the sound of my wife's voice, asking me what I thought. The only thing I could offer was a giant, ear to ear, idiot's grin. I was hooked, I knew it and the clerk's expression showed that he knew it as well. He had the most evil grin on his face and to this day I swear I saw horns. That bastard HAD HORNS!

When I got home that night, I ordered my first Panerai. It was a model PAM 192 and I waited in agony for every second that it was not on my wrist. I ordered 5 straps that night too. I currently own 2 Panerai and I am about to order 2 more. The screen saver on my desktop at work and my laptop at home are both straight from the Panerai website. I think a woman wearing Panerai is dead sexy. I am trying to talk my wife into a Panerai. I have a Panerai tie tack. I plan on finding a Panerai logo sticker for my next car. I look at every Panerai hat, shirt, jacket, etc that shows up on ebay. One of my DOGS is named Panerai. I am completely hooked!

The point to this story is that it is easy to look at not understand. It is easy to think we are all nuts. It is easy to just not get it. It is not easy to try one on and walk away. This things are cursed!

erd04056

Renowned Member
2/4/06
Ford VS Chevy

LOL....Thats a good one Klink. I do belong to a Chevy Diesel site, and this type of bickering is common. Just glad to see that it is not limited to the Ford and Chevy guys....Makes for interesting reading!!