• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Not sure if I have gen or clone ETA?

kendog870

30/6/09
Re: A small problem with hont - paid for ETA, got ETA clone

Im still weary about anyone offering a swiss eta. There was a post up the other day about eta movements, and how they are rare and far between now. That anyone paying for a swiss movement will likely get an aisian clone. It can get alittle confusing when you are a greenhorn like me [smilie=alien.gif]

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09

kendog870 said:
Im still weary about anyone offering a swiss eta. There was a post up the other day about eta movements, and how they are rare and far between now. That anyone paying for a swiss movement will likely get an aisian clone. It can get alittle confusing when you are a greenhorn like me [smilie=alien.gif]

its unfortunate that i came in to the rep culture late and i will probably never get a swiss eta rep (unless i buy it from a member). For now, i am just happy that the asian eta's are just as reliable and cheaper!

kendog870

30/6/09

I agree. Iv heard that the asian movements can last a very long time. Im interested in getiing a quality contructed watch thats as close as 1:1 as possible.(if possible)

Gadgetguy

Known Member
5/6/09

You all may be right by saying that swiss ETA movements are really rare.

But then I would strongly argue that our beloved sellers should not try to sell us (and charge for it) something that does not exist!

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09

they are trusted sellers because they dont take your money and run. they may do quality control and such but i dont blame them for not opening every single watch they send out. They are already busy enough dealing with the thousands of stupid questions we ask. i blame it on the factories who are "potentially" scamming the dealers!

hontwatch

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/12/06

Gadgetguy said:
I have bought a Royal Oak Automatic Swiss ETA from Hont.

The watch was running slow, so I took to the watchmaker to have it adjusted. I just heard back today from the watchmaker: he told me that the movement is not Swiss ETA, it is a low quality asian ETA copy with a number of small imperfections.

I am really surprised, since based on all the great feedback (related to hont) I have not expected this.

I have already emailed him about this issue - lets see what he responds...

hello

you can take photo <the AP movt>

I Had do business with the factory for some years and not happen problem yet <order eta but give me asia clone>

so i not open the caseback for check everytime, <i trust the factory>

you can post movt picture here ,then i will give picture to show factory ,

sure if asia clone movt ,i will do refund to you ,and i will pay shipping cost to you for return the ap to me

regard

hont

Gadgetguy

Known Member
5/6/09

hontwatch said:
Gadgetguy said:
I have bought a Royal Oak Automatic Swiss ETA from Hont.

The watch was running slow, so I took to the watchmaker to have it adjusted. I just heard back today from the watchmaker: he told me that the movement is not Swiss ETA, it is a low quality asian ETA copy with a number of small imperfections.

I am really surprised, since based on all the great feedback (related to hont) I have not expected this.

I have already emailed him about this issue - lets see what he responds...

hello

you can take photo <the AP movt>

I Had do business with the factory for some years and not happen problem yet <order eta but give me asia clone>

so i not open the caseback for check everytime, <i trust the factory>

you can post movt picture here ,then i will give picture to show factory ,

sure if asia clone movt ,i will do refund to you ,and i will pay shipping cost to you for return the ap to me

regard

hont

Thank you for the professional and fast reply.

The watch is still at the watchmaker. I will pick it up Tuesday and take pictures then. I will also ask him which part he said was bent in the movement.

What specific part should I take a picture of? I am not very good with macro photography, and it may be difficult to take a pict through the glass back, but I will do my best.

Thank you again: it looks you will do everything to get this solved. I am impressed!

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06

talk with your watchmaker and ask him if it is ok for you to take pictures of the parts that make him feel it is an asian copy and the specific problem before he reinstalls the case back.

this is the first time i have seen a dealer offer to pay return shipping. :shock:

pretty cool.

Gadgetguy

Known Member
5/6/09

Hello all,

I have to say I am now embarassed. I called my watchmaker asking him for specifics to why he thinks the movement is not ETA - and I felt that suddenly he is not so sure any more.

Maybe he thought initially that a "fake" watch can have only a "fake" movement.

When I insisted that it could be in fact a real ETA, he said that yes, it could be, and he is not absolutely sure.

So maybe I was wrong all along and hont did send me an ETA movement...

So: I apologize for the confusion (I will still send a pict to Hont). And I am truly impressed by hont's professional behavior!

I am sure will buy from him again.

Sorry to you all for raising an issue, which most probably is no issue at all...

I hope you forgive me... :oops:

BlueRod37

8/5/09

Gadgetguy said:
Hello all,

I have to say I am now embarassed. I called my watchmaker asking him for specifics to why he thinks the movement is not ETA - and I felt that suddenly he is not so sure any more.

Maybe he thought initially that a "fake" watch can have only a "fake" movement.

When I insisted that it could be in fact a real ETA, he said that yes, it could be, and he is not absolutely sure.

So maybe I was wrong all along and hont did send me an ETA movement...

So: I apologize for the confusion (I will still send a pict to Hont). And I am truly impressed by hont's professional behavior!

I am sure will buy from him again.

Sorry to you all for raising an issue, which most probably is no issue at all...

I hope you forgive me... :oops:

Hi i only read the last 6 or 7 messages, i've seen that hont offered to refund, and pay for the return package (very kind of him).

i have also seen that in the first place you were low profile and not accusating and puching hard.

and now you are humble and feel sad because maybe, your watchsmith was mistaken.

i don't see ANY reason for us to not forgive you, to me there is nothing to forgive,
someone ( an expert to your eyes) said it was fake,
you show up the probleme without any anger or rude words, then
the same "expert" (watchsmith) said he wasn't so sure and you feel sad.

i say that you are acting like someone good,

if you want to see a bad behavior of accusation against a trusted dealer, go to RUBY's review and look for a thread called
OP VS RUBY 0 to 1 Ruby is the best (something like this) 14 pages because of someone which accused a trusted dealer of not being one and with rude words

just my point of view.
Just take a picture to clarify this, and if the factory had made a mistake Hont said he will change it.

Guillaume

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06

that's why i was telling you it is very difficult to tell the gen from the clone. i understand why your watchmaker would have a preconceived opinion about a rep having a gen eta movement but these aren't canal street reps. time4direct told me even his watchmaker is having a very difficult time telling the clone from the gen and he has been working on reps for 20 years now. that tells me it's not always easy to know exactly what you are looking at, especially if you are not familiar with reps.

the good thing is your dealer is behind you 100% and everybody got to learn something from this!! :D

vdubpower

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/06

why the hell should u only get a partial refund, he should totally refund the entire differenc eof the two movts,

Time4Direct

Trusted Dealer (In Memoriam RIP)
Gold Patron
25/3/08

vdubpower said:
why the hell should u only get a partial refund, he should totally refund the entire differenc eof the two movts,

I am sure he will !

Not all these "Watchmakers" are at the hight of their proffesion you need to remember, like auto mechanics when you take your car in there is always something that is not correct about it and if they had serviced it last time it would have been perfect.

Some of these watchmakes are like some of the members here know too much about nothing.

So before you send Hont for stoning or cusificution better let him get the opinion of the factory who assembled the item

gazumi

Renowned Member
21/8/08

Hont is as trustworthy as they come. Sometimes I even send extra money along with my orders in case I need to add something before he ships. If not he just keeps it for me.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR

For the pictures : do not use flash, set the macro mode on, have enough lighting to get a sharp picture. We need to see the Rotor, the ETA stamp and the shockproof system (Incabloc). But even with this, it's probably hard to tell. Unless you have a movement without markings, in which case we immediately know it's a clone (I have such one movement in my Omega Railmaster).

I've never delt with Hont, but I feel he has really the right reaction : if any mistake, he will take care. The only point is to show there's a mistake. It seems the thoughts of a watchsmith are not enough, because indeed, the clone is so good and experienced watchsmithes are not always able to make the difference.

Good point in this thread is that we learn it's better to go for the ETA clone, if available. Nobody will send you a gen ETA by mistake :lol:

PHicks

Renowned Member
29/8/08

Pix said:
Nobody will send you a gen ETA by mistake :lol:

That was funny Pix!

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07

NOW A WHOLE GEN...THAT"S A DIFFERENT STORY!!! BLUEFAKES SOLD ME A WATCH THAT WAS THE ULTIMATE 1:1 A++++. SOOO EXACT. WHEN I SENT IT OFF TO THE ROLEX FACTORY FOR SERVICING,THEY WERE TOTALLY FOOLED!!!

Hambone

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/11/06

I have a larger problem with Hont. You see I bought the actual person named Hont, and when I got to the airport to pick him up from China, damned if hadn't sent me a clone of
himself :roll:

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State

Hambone said:
I have a larger problem with Hont. You see I bought the actual person named Hont, and when I got to the airport to pick him up from China, damned if hadn't sent me a clone of
himself :roll:

:lol: :lol:

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08

Gadgetguy said:
Hello all,

In light of this, I've taken the liberty of adjusting the topic title so as not to perpetuate the possible miscommunication. :)