• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Not sure if I have gen or clone ETA?

Gadgetguy

Known Member
5/6/09
I have bought a Royal Oak Automatic Swiss ETA from Hont.

The watch was running slow, so I took to the watchmaker to have it adjusted. I just heard back today from the watchmaker: he told me that the movement is not Swiss ETA, it is a low quality asian ETA copy with a number of small imperfections.

I am really surprised, since based on all the great feedback (related to hont) I have not expected this.

I have already emailed him about this issue - lets see what he responds...

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
Re: A small problem with hont - paid for ETA, got ETA clone

yes, i would wait for a reply but i am afraid a lot of people would find this same thing no matter who they bought their watch from. i have a sea dweller on it's way and i ordered it with an asian clone eta. no need in paying for it if you aren't going to get it.

Gadgetguy

Known Member
5/6/09

hk45ca said:
yes, i would wait for a reply but i am afraid a lot of people would find this same thing no matter who they bought their watch from. i have a sea dweller on it's way and i ordered it with an asian clone eta. no need in paying for it if you aren't going to get it.

I know that this is not a rare occurance, but since hont was so highly rated I hoped that I would get what I paid for - i.e. a genuine swiss ETA.

I just dont know what the solution is: I already paid a local watchmaker to have the watch adjusted. Shipping it back is expensive... would he maybe offer a partial refund?

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06

if the movement is ok now i wouldn't send it back. you will have to wait and see what resolution they offer.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06

agree on HK..if it is running ok now, keep it and work something out with Hont. I have one cloned ETA movement and it runs in one week + 1sec....it takes gen parts also if you have a problem

Gadgetguy

Known Member
5/6/09

Thank you all, I will see what he suggest.

I will also need to see how well the watch runs. The watchmaker told me that some part (I forgot which one) was slightly bent, and it would require replacing ($100). The watch will run with that part, but may not be extremely accurate. We will see...

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR

Hi,
for sure it's impossible to ask the dealer to open all watches.
So this may happen, and Hont surely made no mistake there.

But.

There's (still) a price difference between the ETA clone based and "gen"? (refurbished ?) ETA based reps. The problem is less to know if it's a good movement, but more if you paid the full price for it. At that time there should be a price discussion with Hont, which he should himself have with his supplier.

Where I'm very surprised is that according to the latest pictures/testimonies, it is extremely difficult (even impossible) to see the difference between both. As the Asian clone is a perfect clone (no shilling intended :p ). That's why I feel happy to be confirmed I have an Asian clone rather than a surplus gen ETA. And as all parts are compatible, I eventually don't care if we talk Swiss or Chinese.

I asked my watchsmith to check in my Railmaster (while tearing it appart for servicing) if the movement was Swiss or Chinese. He told me this is something he can't do. And he's not a bad watchsmith.
That's where I'm wondering :
- either you have an outstanding watchsmith
- or you have a movement inbetween (I saw some clones without markings and without ETA stamps). Or maybe one of these Sellita movements ?

BTW, don't pay 100 USD to replace one part in an unknown movement, when you can buy the gen thing for a bit more or a new Asian clone for probably less (look on ebay)

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06

for 100 USD you can get a complete new ETA movement from the bay...........

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06

Gadgetguy said:
Thank you all, I will see what he suggest.

I will also need to see how well the watch runs. The watchmaker told me that some part (I forgot which one) was slightly bent, and it would require replacing ($100). The watch will run with that part, but may not be extremely accurate. We will see...

it is very difficult to tell a top quality eta clone from a gen eta. if you have a problem part that costs 100.00 to replace just notify the dealer and let them handle it.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09

ETA clone or Swiss ETA, it makes little difference to the vast majority except for us. to me it doesn't. The fact that it is a high beat is good enough for me. I personally would not send it back as it will be a major hassle and could end up in a big mess.

I would suggest to take a close up pic of the back, send the pic to Hont, and then see what happens. If this is truly a mistake in Honts end, then he will reply. If it is a mistake in the advertizing on his website, then that could be a different story. Alot of mistakes go published in the advertized claims. I've seen dg2813 advertized as high beat 28,8 bph.

I think I ended up getting a low beat 21,6 movement in an advertized dg4813 28,8 movement from another dealer. But I can't be sure as I don't have the means to test it.

Gadgetguy

Known Member
5/6/09

Pix: thank you for your comment.

I am not sure if my watchmaker is outstanding or not. He was recommended to me, and so far he was able to fix all watches I gave him to fix. After they have been fixed they run very accurately and well.

Based on my chats with him, I think he can differentiate between a gen ETA and an asian ETA copy. I got the impression that he is experienced with asian ETA replicas.

I have already paid him $88 for a broken part on another watch (UPO - balance wheel was damaged). I have never considered having the movement replaced - but than again, for the $88 he also did a complete servicing. I will check in getting a new movement instead of fixing a watch (for the future) - but would not a new movement require servicing (some time in the first few months)? So am I not better of getting the one I have fixed / serviced - for about $100 vs. getting a new one and then pay for having it installed and maybe serviced?

Please guide me...

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06

servicing is more than 100.00, if he is going to repair and service it i would make sure exactly what the servicing consists of.

If you see Kay

26/1/09

guru said:
for 100 USD you can get a complete new ETA movement from the bay...........

If that's so and servicing costs the same. i wouldn't bother with servicing. I'd just replace the whole movement. I consider watch movements all disposable if anything goes wrong. Considering the price of a watchsmith's services nowadays....

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR

If you get a brand new gen one (sealed in its packaging), it should come serviced. I am not confident on ebay's one to be brand new nor serviced.
If the movement is fixed, cleaned and oiled for 88 USD, then better keep the watch, at least you know you have something reliable now (except this small part). But, hell, 100 USD just for one part... :?

The gen Swiss ETA matter is really difficult these days, and IMO not controlable. That's why as it was mentionned before, better choose the ETA clone (when it's advertized so), no surprise and no wrong spent money.

Sometimes you don't have the option Swiss ETA or Clone ETA. That's where we enter the grey area... Probably what happened to you. If in the end Hont makes a gesture for you, then your matter is solved and it's a happy end. But for this, you have to prove him your movement is not gen.
A macro shot of the movement would indeed help understand what you really got in your watch (I can't make the difference personally) : but again, maybe it's not the "perfect copy" we are used to and we'll see it.

Gadgetguy

Known Member
5/6/09

hk45ca said:
servicing is more than 100.00, if he is going to repair and service it i would make sure exactly what the servicing consists of.

Hmm. So maybe he is not as great a watchmaker as I thought he is... I will try to see if I can find someone else give a second opinion on his work as soon as something he did stops performing properly.

I wonder how much they charge if you want to replace a movement, as that would be an extra cost in addition to a new movement.

Pix: for now the watchmaker has not fixed or serviced the AP watch in question. He just regulated it, and told me it should run ok, but maybe it will not be extremely accurate due to that bent part. If he replaces the part he does also the oiling and cleaning, that is why he charges $100. He charges $15 for regulating. (the CAN$ 88.- amount I paid for getting my UPO fixed, cleaned and regulated)

I will see what hont suggests, and I will see how the watch performs (how accurate) as I did not pick it up yet (watchmaker is downtown I live / work about 1 hr drive away. I will pick it up early next week)...

If you see Kay

26/1/09

Before you contact Hont, take a macro shot and post it here.

Let us take a look at it and comment.

markharris

2/4/09

IMO i will never pay a premium for a swiss eta as we never no what we will get my asian clones all run perfect in fact they keep better time than my 2 gens with swiss eta

tell hont he is a good guy i dont think he would do this i bet he does not know its a clone
im sure he will sort you out

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06

Gadgetguy said:
hk45ca said:

Hmm. So maybe he is not as great a watchmaker as I thought he is... I will try to see if I can find someone else give a second opinion on his work as soon as something he did stops performing properly.

I wonder how much they charge if you want to replace a movement, as that would be an extra cost in addition to a new movement.

Pix: for now the watchmaker has not fixed or serviced the AP watch in question. He just regulated it, and told me it should run ok, but maybe it will not be extremely accurate due to that bent part. If he replaces the part he does also the oiling and cleaning, that is why he charges $100. He charges $15 for regulating. (the CAN$ 88.- amount I paid for getting my UPO fixed, cleaned and regulated)

I will see what hont suggests, and I will see how the watch performs (how accurate) as I did not pick it up yet (watchmaker is downtown I live / work about 1 hr drive away. I will pick it up early next week)...

i wouldn't use that to say he isn't a good watchmaker. he might just have a low overhead does does work cheaper than his competition. just ask him what his service consists of.