• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Not having good luck with GEN PO

tt88

㊙️ Time does not wait ㊙️
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
15/9/12
Village, of course
Usually there is only one piece available (sometimes not because it's a small AD, they just don't want to saturate the local market), and everyone will be trying it on. Some customers refuse to take off their watch or jewelry before trying and scratches are made.

And if scratches are really bad, either higher discount will be given, or they can do a aftersales polish it for you.

If you really think want a brand new one, get them to order one and keep it in the delivery box sent straight from swiss. It will be fresh from the factory, but that doesn't guarantee scratchless too.

Good luck.

Sent from my Bezel using a 116610

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
For that money on a watch at an AD, u have the rights to be as picky as u like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. Obvious

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/5/13
It depends on what kind of scratch it is and whether you paid full price or not.

D

d4m.test

I don't disagree with you... just trying to decide what to do...

Just ask for a discount if you didn't get one already.

When I purchased a gen from a grey market seller, it had a few imperfections on the bezel that annoyed me. They offered me a big discount if I kept it and they replaced the bezel under warranty.

If you're worried about something else going wrong because of some bracelet dings, you're being paranoid. If it was dust on the dial it would be a different story, since that would mean it was opened after the factory QC.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

hypercore

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/8/13
I have to agree with hypercore. IF I bought a brand spanking new Omega from an AD I would want it to be immaculate. There is no reason that a brand new watch should have any scratches what so ever.I understand that the bracelet will eventually get scratches, but if I am shelling out that kind of cash I want them to be scratches from me. And saying that its going to get scratched anyway is kind of crazy. That's like buying a new car with rock chips on the hood and saying oh well is was bound to happen anyway.

Me personally I think that I would return the watch and find another place to do business.

Thank you. You understand exactly what I'm saying!

hypercore

21/8/13
just return it ... find another place to buy the watch. you should be happy spending 4k, not disappointed.

Yes, I'm definitely going to return it. As it turns out, there are not too many Omega AD around here. Might be a drive to get to the next closest one. One thing I found out is that Rolex, for instance, pulled out a bunch of AD stores from the area. Only about 4 (out of 12 before) left over, about two years ago.

hypercore

21/8/13
Ask them for a new one!

The manager is working on getting a new one, which is what it was supposed to be with the one I have in my hand at the moment, as the original had the same (a bit more prominent scratches) case of scratches. What made it worse with the replacement that I have right now is that it's supposed to be from their corporate office, which is supposed to be from OMEGA directly. REALLY!!!

My theory is that they are getting returns from customers (30 day return poiicy at the store), and if it gets minor scratches, the are buffing it, putting some shrink wrap on the bracelet and calling it "NEW from the factory".

Sorry, but I look at things at work that need a lot of attention to detail, and noticing such obvious scratches is pretty clear...

I ordered UPO-45.6 yesterday, and will compare it to the GEN side by side to get an idea. I'm giving these guys one more chance to make it right with the GEN, or I'll just get it from some place else.

hypercore

21/8/13
yeah, but did you check it with an electron microscope? I think one of the carbon molecules in the stainless steel band was just a teeny bit off. Better return it for another one.

Well, good! You obviously have a clear understanding of the situation to make such a comment, and no matter how sarcastic and smart you think you're being, when you pay 4+ grand on a watch, and not just a few hundred on the REPs you're used to buying, you too would want it to be without scratches. An EM is hardly required for the scratches / buffing to be apparent on the watch I've been sold.

hypercore

21/8/13
Probably a store display model, that has been tried on a few times, or a return. The AD is trying to fob you off, best thing to do is get a refund and to go to another AD/store and buy what you are happy with....or possibly use the situation to your advantage and negotiate another discount (on top of the standard one!) due to the condition.

This sort of thing happens quite a bit, not just with Omega, but with all watch brands. It's not a big deal but an AD has to get rid of stock eventually even if it has acquired scratches during the time it has been looked at by other potential buyers. By right those should be kept as a 'store model' or else sold at a discount. Some AD's don't have the luxury of keeping 'store models', but trying to sell you at full price an opened model is a no go.
In your case op, a clasp scratch isn't so bad, so use to your advantage and ask for an extra several hundred off and see what they say? Some display models have dings...which also have to be sold, heavily discounted.

Completely agree with your assessment!

Probably a store display model, that has been tried on a few times, or a return. The AD is trying to fob you off, best thing to do is get a refund and to go to another AD/store and buy what you are happy with....or possibly use the situation to your advantage and negotiate another discount (on top of the standard one!) due to the condition.

This sort of thing happens quite a bit, not just with Omega, but with all watch brands. It's not a big deal but an AD has to get rid of stock eventually even if it has acquired scratches during the time it has been looked at by other potential buyers. By right those should be kept as a 'store model' or else sold at a discount. Some AD's don't have the luxury of keeping 'store models', but trying to sell you at full price an opened model is a no go.
In your case op, a clasp scratch isn't so bad, so use to your advantage and ask for an extra several hundred off and see what they say? Some display models have dings...which also have to be sold, heavily discounted.

Completely agree with your assessment of the AD is doing. I attempted to get some discount the first time around. The manager was quite firm that he couldn't do anything, but that he would get a new "sealed one from corporate". Ok. Well, I think I'm almost at the end of my patience with them.

For that money on a watch at an AD, u have the rights to be as picky as u like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think so too!!!

Live with it?

For 4+ grand, no, I'm not going to "Live with it" :)

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Even if i find the OP overacting, i think he is right.

Ok its the bracelet and not as major thing a scratch on the case but what the heck?

This is a brand new watch and the guy paid a serious amount of $ for it!

Can we have photos of the beauty?

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
A little disappointed that it wasn't perfect for an upper end watch. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to be perfect, at least cosmetically..

Sorry to tell you but Omega is not an upper end watch. An upper end watch is Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Breguet and a few other that most of the models retail over 30k $.

Also for people to know for Omega the routine in QC is if it's not visible to the bare eye at 6 inches then its not a flaw. You would be surprised if you look at the dial on 25 gen PO with good magnification and realize that at least 5 of them is not perfect.

And if we talk scratches, man if you got a 100% all perfect omega and then open the plastic box it comes in to AD then remove the other wraps. Look at it, put it on your wrist blink your eyes then you will have some tiny tiny scratches somewhere on it..

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Jealous of what exactly? This thread is going nowhere, I'm not sure what the OP is trying to achieve.
Then go elsewhere, plenty of other threads. The guy is as entitled as you are to post whatever he likes (within reason). I think you are just envious of someone who has a spouse nice enough to buy him such a great gift.

Sorry to tell you but Omega is not an upper end watch. An upper end watch is Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Breguet and a few other that most of the models retail over 30k $.

Also for people to know for Omega the routine in QC is if it's not visible to the bare eye at 6 inches then its not a flaw. You would be surprised if you look at the dial on 25 gen PO with good magnification and realize that at least 5 of them is not perfect.

And if we talk scratches, man if you got a 100% all perfect omega and then open the plastic box it comes in to AD then remove the other wraps. Look at it, put it on your wrist blink your eyes then you will have some tiny tiny scratches somewhere on it..

While I agree it's not an upper end watch (not even middle of the field) I wouldn't want a brand new watch with a buffed out scratch either. For 4k that's not acceptable to me.

techlogik

16/7/09
This jewerler is screwing with you. He is "trying to get a new one" yeah...right. They aren't trying to do anything and hoping you will just stop asking and not come back anymore.

These watches are a dime a dozen, they are mass produced and overpriced.

Simple, return the thing, get a refund, say goodbye, go someplace else.

Or, return it, build a Franken for less, and it will be 99% of the way there and save several thousand dollars.

hypercore

21/8/13
Even if i find the OP overacting, i think he is right.

Ok its the bracelet and not as major thing a scratch on the case but what the heck?

This is a brand new watch and the guy paid a serious amount of $ for it!

Can we have photos of the beauty?

When you pay real money for a gen, and get something less than perfect, I'll gladly listen to you or any one say that I'm over reacting :)

hypercore

21/8/13
Jealous of what exactly? This thread is going nowhere, I'm not sure what the OP is trying to achieve.

I'm sorry, I'm new here. Did not realize this was such a serious place. I was simply relaying something that happened. Nothing more.... Nothing less. I wasn't looking for sympathy or for that matter any real meaningful advice. No of fence to the admin or the people that run this site, but forums like this never really solve any REAL problems and I was not looking for some sort of solution. I'll leave other members to play that game. Tell you what, ill never post such a thing again so you don't feel I'm wasting you valuable precious time ;)