• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Not having good luck with GEN PO

hypercore

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/8/13
Bought my PO-45.5 two weeks ago, but returned it a few days later at the local jewelry store. A little disappointed that it wasn't perfect for an upper end watch. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it to be perfect, at least cosmetically, but it was not. It had a number of scratches on the the steel strap. So I returned it. Meanwhile, the manager ordered a replacement from "corporate". It arrived in about 4 days; that was actaully last week, but I did not have a chance to go pick it up until today.

The watch was wrapped in shrink wrap, and a plastic cover was on the crystal. All seemed a-okay. I brought it home and tried it on, but was too busy admiring the dial (it has the red lettering). Wife walks by seeing me admire it (it's afterall a gift from her to me for my recent birthday)... BUT she notices a scratch on the steel band (she can spot a cop sitting a mile away... literally, and warn me 10 seconds before the radar detector goes off when they are gunning). I start looking it over more carefully now. And what really has me worried when I notice on the backle a very soft, but definitely present, vertical scratch that's been buffed. I look even more carefully, and notice the entire buckle looks buffed.

To me, it's one thing to buff it after some usage, but this is SUPPOSED TO BE brand new, from OMEGA -> Corporate -> store. Perhaps it is. But I'm not happy and neither is my wife about the fact that it's not "perfect" out of the box.

Not sure what I'll do. I've already spoken to the manager, and he knows he's going to lose a sale, but he seems like a decent guy, and is going to get another one for me (he himself wears the Orange 45.5 PO). But that has nothing to do with anything, other than that he understand my concern for wanting a perfect specimen.

I am on the hunt for a REP UPO 45.5, and have thought that maybe, just maybe, the GEN is not meant to happen, and might as well just return it and be done with it, and be happy with the REP.

A little sad right now...

hypercore

21/8/13
I would be afraid to sell you a rep.

It's a matter of perspective, and more importantly expectation.

When I'm buying a REP, there's a different level of expectation than when buying a GEN, don't you agree? Or is it the same level of expectation paying $300 +/- for a REP, and paying $4000 +/- for a GEN. To me, it's more than just a subtle difference.

I just got my REP Sea Dweller last Saturday. It's good. I love it. The clasp is shit, but it is what it is. I'm okay with it. I'll replace it with something else if it becomes an issue. Everyone that's seen it, none of them watch experts, thinks it's real, until I tell them and they still don't believe me that's is a REP.

hypercore

21/8/13
QFT
You will nick the steel band over time anyways.

I fully agree!!! I had this conversation with the manager of the jewelry store, and he completely agrees with my feelings about wanting it to be perfect.

The ISSUE isn't the nice or the buffing itself. It's the fact that it has been buffed. So then the question arises in the head:

1. has it been bought and returned by someone. - I don't want some one' return! Do you?

2. What are they trying to pull (the jewelry store, if anything? Perhaps they're not doing anything wrong, but I don't know that. The only thing I can look at and go by is that I'm getting a piece that simply does not look pristine. End of story.

boneyjr

Renowned Member
22/3/11
If it were the case, dial or bezel.. I would want it spotless. But bracelet? Eh, not so much.

dsmdave

Renowned Member
15/1/11
I have to agree with hypercore. IF I bought a brand spanking new Omega from an AD I would want it to be immaculate. There is no reason that a brand new watch should have any scratches what so ever.I understand that the bracelet will eventually get scratches, but if I am shelling out that kind of cash I want them to be scratches from me. And saying that its going to get scratched anyway is kind of crazy. That's like buying a new car with rock chips on the hood and saying oh well is was bound to happen anyway.

Me personally I think that I would return the watch and find another place to do business.

bobkat

6/7/12
just return it ... find another place to buy the watch. you should be happy spending 4k, not disappointed.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
yeah, but did you check it with an electron microscope? I think one of the carbon molecules in the stainless steel band was just a teeny bit off. Better return it for another one.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Probably a store display model, that has been tried on a few times, or a return. The AD is trying to fob you off, best thing to do is get a refund and to go to another AD/store and buy what you are happy with....or possibly use the situation to your advantage and negotiate another discount (on top of the standard one!) due to the condition.

This sort of thing happens quite a bit, not just with Omega, but with all watch brands. It's not a big deal but an AD has to get rid of stock eventually even if it has acquired scratches during the time it has been looked at by other potential buyers. By right those should be kept as a 'store model' or else sold at a discount. Some AD's don't have the luxury of keeping 'store models', but trying to sell you at full price an opened model is a no go.
In your case op, a clasp scratch isn't so bad, so use to your advantage and ask for an extra several hundred off and see what they say? Some display models have dings...which also have to be sold, heavily discounted.