• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NOOB Pepsi GMT 126710 BLRO mini review

1675Fanboy

3/9/15
With the CHS movement failures quite common due to jumping hour spring, could someone please tell me what the usability of the watch is after failure? Is the GMT hand still moving in sync with the movement? with regards to the failure is it that the spring breaks or just becomes dislodged from correct position?(i.e. will the spring potentially be troublesome lose in the movement) I think like most members that have large collections its not really viable to give box space unless its still usable after failure, unless you have time and desire to mess with it. Thanks in advance.

Mine failed and yes, the GMT hand works just fine and keeps sync/time. So you can tell the time with it but it’s no longer track two time zones. The Mercedes hour hand just stays wherever you set it. Also, note that the date no longer ticks over automatically at midnight as it’s tied to the Mercedes hour hand.

I’m getting mine converted to ICHS. Can’t be doing with this sh!te on a $700 watch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020 and Pietros

acmcc

Supporter
Certified
3/4/14
Mine failed and yes, the GMT hand works just fine and keeps sync/time. So you can tell the time with it but it’s no longer track two time zones. The Mercedes hour hand just stays wherever you set it. Also, note that the date no longer ticks over automatically at midnight as it’s tied to the Mercedes hour hand.

I’m getting mine converted to ICHS. Can’t be doing with this sh!te on a $700 watch...

Thanks 1675Fanboy - I agree this shouldn't happen for a $700 watch! its a shame the Mercedes hand stops. I guess now your on the path it will be a nice piece in the end. good luck with the work

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

1675Fanboy

3/9/15
Thanks 1675Fanboy - I agree this shouldn't happen for a $700 watch! its a shame the Mercedes hand stops. I guess now your on the path it will be a nice piece in the end. good luck with the work

Thanks fella. I'm swapping the crystal for a gen also. It certainly wasn't my original plan when I ordered this piece to end up with a further $450 spent on it but I guess once it's done it'll be a sturdy and good looking rep....

JDM180

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/9/13
Thanks. I think I will get the BP dial and go on a search for ARF GMT iCHS hands (what the heck, treasure hunt!).

Is BP dial as good as GMF , I noticed GMF has really nice hour markers and correct size 3,6,9 ! so really wanted that but my TD can only get BP

Cheesemonger

I'm Pretty Popular
23/11/13
Is BP dial as good as GMF , I noticed GMF has really nice hour markers and correct size 3,6,9 ! so really wanted that but my TD can only get BP

I am not sure if it is, but we’ll find out. BP has always made good dials IMO (their 116900 was very close to the gen one when I had that swapped out).

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
I emailed Ryan this morning to see what he’ll do to rectify my bad movement. Mentioned that RWI is showing many issues like mine. Fingers crossed I’ll get a positive response.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Does anyone know how well these movements can be regulated?
I’m running around +25 seconds per day-what is everyone else averaging?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

It's a clone ETA 2824 movement. They can be regulated to 0 secs/day , 0.0 B.E. and 270+ amplitude provided the balance assembly, escape wheel and mainspring are working well. Those parts can be replaced, even with gen parts if not working well. In fact, most of the movement can be replaced with gen parts except the mainplate and the unique GMT bits.

The pic shows an ICHS 2836 movement (CHS conversion), but this is the result of careful regulating that is achievable on an ETA clone with properly functioning parts.

silo.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JDM180 and Pietros

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I emailed Ryan this morning to see what he’ll do to rectify my bad movement. Mentioned that RWI is showing many issues like mine. Fingers crossed I’ll get a positive response.

I would advise buying an ICHS movement and hand set. Send Ryan a link to a watch with the parts you want like this one

https://www.intime05.co/rollie/5541...eel-edition-black-dial-on-bracelet-a2836.html

Should run $125 ‐ $150 plus shipping. It probably won't be long before TDs won't be willing or able to supply these but you're in a good position to be shown preferential handling. I wouldn't hesitate a second to make this swap after one failed right OOTB. It's a 1:1 swap into the case.

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I posted this in another thread but it belongs here as well.

I recommend NEVER using crown position 2 on the CHS movement except to initially set your GMT and hour hand differential. Once that is set, put the watch on a winder. Then you only have to adjust the date five times a year and only in February will it be more than a one day advance. On those occasions, use crown position 3 to advance the date. That way you avoid using the jumping hour spring at all. Otherwise it's like using an A7750 chrono. Works great til it breaks.

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
I posted this in another thread but it belongs here as well.

I recommend NEVER using crown position 2 on the CHS movement except to initially set your GMT and hour hand differential. Once that is set, put the watch on a winder. Then you only have to adjust the date five times a year and only in February will it be more than a one day advance. On those occasions, use crown position 3 to advance the date. That way you avoid using the jumping hour spring at all. Otherwise it's like using an A7750 chrono. Works great til it breaks.

This is excellent advice. I have two watch winders and never use them. Since there’s no quick set date, by keeping these wound you only need to set a different date maybe 5 times annually. This is smart for other GMTs also with no quick set date. Setting the date on GMTs is a pain even on gens. Keeping it on a winder is a brilliant idea here. I would have never thought of this. Thanks @ KJ2020.

I have not had issue with the 5 CHS before and even this one. To set the date I set time forward in position 3. It’s a pain turning 24 hour time cycles to set the date. But if you wear it daily or keep on a winder you won’t need to and it’s not an issue.

Sorry to hear of the few with issues. I hope the TDs allow for some consideration, or replacement. The part I find most interesting is that Noob says it will only offer this CHS going forward? I wish I had their confidence.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Sorry to hear of the few with issues. I hope the TDs allow for some consideration, or replacement. The part I find most interesting is that Noob says it will only offer this CHS going forward? I wish I had their confidence.

I just hope the other factories don't follow suit, what a shame.

acmcc

Supporter
Certified
3/4/14
Ryan offers a 1 year warranty on movements and Angus 6 months, its important to return the watch to them if you can to make the factory's fix them, its the only way they will refine the spring in the movement to be reliable. You have a risk going back through customs, Angus said its about 90% success rate sending back through Chinese customs! but if you closely follow there postal instructions you should be ok.

Reactions: Pietros

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Ryan offers a 1 year warranty on movements and Angus 6 months.
Well, that's better than nothing at least, even though the custom process is risky.

1 year warrranty at Ryan's, that's actually a fair deal. Maybe the other TD's will raise their warranty standards up as well.

One question we'll have to ask : under what situation will the warranty work? Because how do you know as a TD that the braking of movement isn't the results of bad manipulation of the owner?...

And again, warranty is nice but that does not resolve the reliability problem of the movements.

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pietros

14/12/18
UK
Well, that's better than nothing at least, even though the custom process is risky.

1 year warrranty at Ryan's, that's actually a fait deal. Maybe the other TD's will raise their warranty standards up as well.

One question we'll have to ask : under what situation will the warranty work? Because how do you know as a TD that the braking of movement isn't the results of bad manipulation of the owner?...

And again, warranty is nice but that does not resolve the reliability problem of the movements.

To be fair, if this movement is fit for purpose, ‘bad manipulation of the owner’ should be impossible.
The jumping hour hand is an integral part of the GMT movement yet we know it can’t be used because of a component weakness that was identified a long while back.

If the TDs issued advice not to ever use the jumping hour hand then they would be justified in refusing a warranty claim for a broken jump hand spring.

Ultimately, I find it incredible that noob continue to use that spring-they should manufacture a reinforced spring for all future GMT movements and make it available free of charge to anyone who bought the movement with the weak version.

They’d probably sell a mother load more of this beautiful watch if it had a solid, fully functioning movement.

Sent from the RWI App

acmcc

Supporter
Certified
3/4/14

1 year warrranty at Ryan's, that's actually a fait deal. Maybe the other TD's will raise their warranty standards up as well.

When they repair the movement they can determine if its user neglect or part failure. The CHS problem is a common weakness in this movement, the more the factory's have to repair them the more likely they will be to modify the next generation or offer ICHS in this model. If they get a lot back they might offer ICHS movement as a repair option!

At this price they want them to be a success as you are paying a premium due to the gen being in great demand, this piece should be no more than $548 tops. Noob in particular are pushing the price thresholds to see what the market will stand.

Reactions: KJ2020 and Pietros