• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob ceramic insert with platinum plating

efthimis

Mythical Poster
20/6/15
But the challenge is indeed to produce in a "rep territory" cost and for all of us to change the insert without breaking it.. and last one is not an easy one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rjk1

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/13
Yea, i have a concept watch now.....
The 100th Anniversary Submariner produced by sponge Bob.....
124358_zps2wavoi3i.jpg

If the price is 300 dollars, I would like to buy a gen insert...

Yes, the price will be less than $300, but the yield loss must be amortized....
Tough to amortize something that's a regular cost in every insert you do.

nasssy

Known Member
26/7/15
Good morning, I appreciated you like this mod and i am evaluating the possibility of offering this service.

I started to do this treatment from last December and the first sample is 4 months old, it's color gets dark a bit, but still match gen.

This insert is 4 months old and here is the photo under dim light:
DSC_2791_zpsjqc5l1za.jpg

This From the beginning, I took the pearl off to avoid spoiling it, but the insert cracked accidentally, than i always seal the pearl after this tragedy......

About the material, it is 99.99% pure platinum "bulk", not powder. It is expensive if you just need a layer to be coated on the insert.

Not sure if I understand you correctly, are you saying the colour gets darker with time i.e.4 months , even tho it is 99.99 % platinum.. How can this happen when it is pure? doesn't make sense

My Gen GMT2 platinum insert is as bright as the day I bought it and so is my Platinum wedding Ring

Spongebob

8/9/10
But the challenge is indeed to produce in a "rep territory" cost and for all of us to change the insert without breaking it.. and last one is not an easy one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can't have your cake and eat it, we'll see...

I remember there are some video on youtube, will posted later...

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
You can't have your cake and eat it, we'll see...

actually you can have your cake and eat it .....

but to eat it and still have it....well thats the real trick .......

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
Removing the noob insert is easy as hell guys.I've done it many times with a hairdryer

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
WOW, this could be the best way to remove insert without breaking it, I will try it tomorrow!!!
Most people use a soldiering iron.but i didnt have one so grabbed my birds hairdryer and there we go ha ha.and a soldier iron can get too hot imo and crack the ceramic.so I don't really recommend that method

Spongebob

8/9/10
Most people use a soldiering iron.but i didnt have one so grabbed my birds hairdryer and there we go ha ha.and a soldier iron can get too hot imo and crack the ceramic.so I don't really recommend that method

I have to save more money for my next build, so hairdryer win.......

And no need to remove the bezel from watch head right?

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
I have to save more money for my next build, so hairdryer win.......

And no need to remove the bezel from watch head right?
I never take the bezel assembly off.as I would have no way of putting it back on .I don't have an xtal press

HerbertPeter

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/3/15
I remember last year was a guy wich did exactly the same as you with the same idea, he vanished a few days later, I think he also ripped of one or two...

maybe I find the thread

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
I remember last year was a guy wich did exactly the same as you with the same idea, he vanished a few days later, I think he also ripped of one or two...

maybe I find the thread
I was thinking the same lol
Wasn't that guy from Hamburg?

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
But how you remove it from the bezel after heating up the insert? with blade?
I heat up the fukker with the hair dryer.then gently grab the pearl area and see if the insert moves .if it does I wiggle lithe insert a bit untill loose then use my finger nail to get it up.or I use a sewing needle or anything I have lying around

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13

maybe I find the thread
I remember that dude

rjk1

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/13
actually you can have your cake and eat it .....

but to eat it and still have it....well thats the real trick .......
You could eat it and have it again in 6-8 hours... Just sayin'