• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NoctiLumina vs Superluminova you decide! ;)

Kleif

Horology Curious
13/8/15
Does anybody know if Noctilumina will ship as a gift, or low value internationally? Thanks!

spazthecat

22/11/12
Hi,

I just got a NL kit with the fine pigments and have been playing around with it. It is probably just me, but does the dry finish seem rather "gritty"? I tried a couple of different pigment to binder ratios started with just under 1:1 and going up to 1:2 and even the more dilute pigment to binder ratio didn't seem to have a very smooth finish.

Thanks,
Andy

BoredPanda

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/4/16
Can't believe it took me this long to notice this thread.

Luming is def something I want to get my hands on trying! Is it hard to start with?

Where do you guys find so many dials around to play with :|

spazthecat

22/11/12
Hard to start? Nope, not hard at all.

Hard to do it well is a different matter:)

The thing I've had the most trouble with is getting the ratio of lume to binder correct on a consistent basis.

I picked up a test dial from raffletimes. Ken was/is clearing out a newer explorer type dial for something like $12. Seemed like a good dial to start with.

--Andy

Can't believe it took me this long to notice this thread.

Luming is def something I want to get my hands on trying! Is it hard to start with?

Where do you guys find so many dials around to play with :|

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaper2981

26/6/15
Who does lume jobs in conus? and around how much do they cost?
this thread just made me want to get my watches lumed correctly and i think if i do it myself ill ruin the watch

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
Who does lume jobs in conus? and around how much do they cost?
this thread just made me want to get my watches lumed correctly and i think if i do it myself ill ruin the watch

Maybe try doing it yourself? It's fun to learn. I user Superluminova and so does zocker. In my opinion it's the best lume money can buy it lasts the longest and is the brightest. Their binder also mixes very well others may offer cheaper prices to lume your watch but they also use cheaper pigments. My philosophy is do it once and be done! I have used noctilumina and it's an average product.. It's cheap yet works well. If you want what the gens have use Superluminova there is a reason all the genuine manufacturers use it.. Rolex, panerai, AP, just to name a few... Superluminova isn't cheap at $45 a gram but you get what you pay for!! The best lume pigment on the earth! :) I used to think noctilumina was great until zocker showed me the light... Sure we argued over it but once I did my first dial with it I was hooked. [MENTION=61105]zocker4711[/MENTION] we don't always agree but we agree Superluminova is the shît!! Haha

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
Hi,

I just got a NL kit with the fine pigments and have been playing around with it. It is probably just me, but does the dry finish seem rather "gritty"? I tried a couple of different pigment to binder ratios started with just under 1:1 and going up to 1:2 and even the more dilute pigment to binder ratio didn't seem to have a very smooth finish.

Thanks,
Andy

Buy Superluminova and A60 binder problem solved. I constantly had problems with uneven dirty looking lume that was gritty and had particles of unmixed binder in it.. I switched to SL and never ever looked back. Scott is a great guy to deal with and he always treated me right so I feel bad basically putting his product down... It's just that I am after absolute performance no cost barrier and SL wins... For the price NL is good stuff but I want the best! HerbertPeter lume is also great!! It's the closest thing to Superluminova I have ever used. He has even color matched Rolex blue exactly!!

zocker4711

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/3/13
+111 :thumbup: [MENTION=99350]Thehitman[/MENTION]...

TheHitMan said all about it... Don´t pay twice ;) Buy directley SuperLuminova or if you want ChromaLight buy the Lume from HerbertPeter

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
We are both lume addicts!! And truly love all things that glow. If it's the best lume I want it! I spent all kinds of money on every pigment possible.

Sure some pigments are as bright as SL but they are coarse like grains of sand and that makes it very hard to work with and looks like sand once it dries.. SL is very fine powder mixes nice an smooth looks nice and smooth when dry yet shines like a torch. I have no idea how they do it. Large particle size usually performs better and lasts longer. The exception is SL it can be super fine particles but glow like other pigments that are coarse. They also must have good particle size distribution because it mixes well and doesn't ever have chunks of unmixed pigment in the bowl. Some pigments do that. Other brands Really fine stuff does this and once it dries it looks odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kleif

Horology Curious
13/8/15
Has anyone tried WB24 from Noctilumina?
I want white daylight color, but have a hard time to decide between WB24 and and B17. Would be interesting to see comparison pics.

Reaper2981

26/6/15
Maybe try doing it yourself? It's fun to learn. I user Superluminova and so does zocker. In my opinion it's the best lume money can buy it lasts the longest and is the brightest. Their binder also mixes very well others may offer cheaper prices to lume your watch but they also use cheaper pigments. My philosophy is do it once and be done! I have used noctilumina and it's an average product.. It's cheap yet works well. If you want what the gens have use Superluminova there is a reason all the genuine manufacturers use it.. Rolex, panerai, AP, just to name a few... Superluminova isn't cheap at $45 a gram but you get what you pay for!! The best lume pigment on the earth! :) I used to think noctilumina was great until zocker showed me the light... Sure we argued over it but once I did my first dial with it I was hooked. @zocker4711 we don't always agree but we agree Superluminova is the shît!! Haha
Is it that easy as it seems? Where can i buy some superluminova ? Are there any good and detailed tutorials you know of? Thanks really this is really interesting,

frediiii

3/7/15
I just started my first lume project with the hour hand of my noob LMPO. I used noctilumina B17F and am borderline disappointed. It does not glow any better than the noob lume.

24981f9e9193025a6edcdf269236bae7.jpg

6f153ddf735d3921be929b4a182bb596.jpg

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA

In those pics, the hour hand does look brighter. But there are a couple things that can affect brightness no matter what pigment you use. One being the ratio and also after the lume is applied and cured, to then apply a nonluminous white backing, which will be the "base coat" since you're applying from the bottom.

And the whole debate between SL and NL, I have no opinion since I have not forked out the extra dough for SL. All I do know is that I have been using NL from the beginning and its always been good to me. I've worked on countless Frankens and matched hands to gen dials and dials to gen hands... and they have always been a great match in day color, texture and glow. I've even had a few "complaints" where the relume was brighter than the gen counterpart. Maybe it just comes with practice, but I have definitely been able to bring the best out of NL and I won't be changing anytime soon.

frediiii

3/7/15
In those pics, the hour hand does look brighter. But there are a couple things that can affect brightness no matter what pigment you use. One being the ratio and also after the lume is applied and cured, to then apply a nonluminous white backing, which will be the "base coat" since you're applying from the bottom.
I agree. I have the feeling that my pigment ratio was a bit on the lean side. also the stock lume also has a white color backing which the freshly lumed minutes hand has not (yet). I will continue experimenting

frediiii

3/7/15
Some better shots in complete darkness and next to a gen 8500 CrPO

d2f3b5990d667b6ae23e8f46c2f5490b.jpg

a8321879989e4a40765ee43ffb86ec56.jpg

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
Looks good to me @frediiii

Quick PS... your relumed hr hand on the gen dial.

4DZglB.jpg

Was that with or without a white backing on the hand?

frediiii

3/7/15
Looks good to me @frediiii

Quick PS... your relumed hr hand on the gen dial.

4DZglB.jpg

Was that with or without a white backing on the hand?
See that's the thing... I didn't relume the hour hand yet. That's the NOOB lume. Looks brighter than the nocti minute hand and the damn GEN :)

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
I thought you had relumed the hour hand based on this...

I just started my first lume project with the hour hand of my noob LMPO.

But either way, it just takes practice with ratios. Here are a couple dials I just relumed, both paired with gen handsets.

I1SYfk.jpg

VK90du.jpg

7JMNlj.jpg

SK6LcU.jpg

TqcRCw.jpg