• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New to the world of reps.

Mazod

Watch lover
31/3/24
California
Hello everyone! I hope you’re all having a great weekend and Easter whether you’re with family or not. I just registered to the website and I’ve been trying to do as much research as possible on different TD’s websites that I have come across here on RWI. I’m very close to pulling the trigger on an AP from Jtime. I’m sure this question has been asked a million times on the forums but I’d like to see if anyone has had experience going swimming with the reps.

The specific model I’m looking at is the royal oak 41mm 15510 SS ORF with the black dial. On the newbie section it states they are water proofed and can be used while swimming, but, the website also has a water resistance guide and from what I understand it is NOT okay to go swimming with the watch based off what the chart says. Watch description says >50m and the chart says no to swimming with that rating so I’m a little confused as to what’s okay and what’s not.

I don’t ever plan on doing something like deep diving. The swimming pools I would be going in would be max 3-4m (9-12ft) deep.

If anyone has had experience with this, please fill me in. If theres something I’m missing or don’t know, please teach me! I would love to learn more and come to a better understanding. If it’s better to just not swim with them in general that’s fine too! I’d rather take off the watch before jumping in the pool rather than ruining it, but, if it’s okay to swim with it would be awesome.

Thank you ahead of time for the responses and whatever else is received. I look forward to being slowly being a part of this community.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Hello,

I'm sure @eBoy will formally welcome you, but to give you a quick answer, you don't go swimming with a rep unless it's been pressure tested by your local watch maker. The same applies to older GENs as gaskets dry out and there's no more water resistance.

Reactions: Linksrat and Mazod

Mazod

Watch lover
31/3/24
California
Hello,

I'm sure @eBoy will formally welcome you, but to give you a quick answer, you don't go swimming with a rep unless it's been pressure tested by your local watch maker. The same applies to older GENs as gaskets dry out and there's no more water resistance.
Thank you for the reply. I understand not swimming with an older one due to dried out gaskets etc. I will look into pressure testing once the watch itself is received.

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Hello everyone! I hope you’re all having a great weekend and Easter whether you’re with family or not. I just registered to the website and I’ve been trying to do as much research as possible on different TD’s websites that I have come across here on RWI. I’m very close to pulling the trigger on an AP from Jtime. I’m sure this question has been asked a million times on the forums but I’d like to see if anyone has had experience going swimming with the reps.

The specific model I’m looking at is the royal oak 41mm 15510 SS ORF with the black dial. On the newbie section it states they are water proofed and can be used while swimming, but, the website also has a water resistance guide and from what I understand it is NOT okay to go swimming with the watch based off what the chart says. Watch description says >50m and the chart says no to swimming with that rating so I’m a little confused as to what’s okay and what’s not.

I don’t ever plan on doing something like deep diving. The swimming pools I would be going in would be max 3-4m (9-12ft) deep.

If anyone has had experience with this, please fill me in. If theres something I’m missing or don’t know, please teach me! I would love to learn more and come to a better understanding. If it’s better to just not swim with them in general that’s fine too! I’d rather take off the watch before jumping in the pool rather than ruining it, but, if it’s okay to swim with it would be awesome.

Thank you ahead of time for the responses and whatever else is received. I look forward to being slowly being a part of this community.
eboy-ralph.gif

Hello and WELCOME from the official RWI reception desk!

You are receiving this introduction because you either posted in the "new members say hi" section or —for the first time(s)— elsewhere. In the latter case, consider introducing yourself in the aforementioned section.

If you haven't already, please make sure to read all relevant sticky threads. They contain important and essential information such as the forum rules! Most importantly the sales rules, because you will NOT yet be eligible / allowed to sell unless you meet certain criteria / are certified first.

A good starting point is this list of resources on RWI:

Please also take another look at this important sticky that you should already have seen after logging on for the first time:

This quick anti-fraud guide is essential if you are about to order from a dealer for the first time:

If you need any further assistance, feel free to contact me or @Feefo!

We will gladly help, but please allow some time for PM responses as we have lifes outside of RWI!

Linksrat

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/12/23
Chicago area
Thank you for the reply. I understand not swimming with an older one due to dried out gaskets etc. I will look into pressure testing once the watch itself is received.

I'm working to become much more knowledgeable on watches but most guys here have forgotten more than I'll ever know. That said, my understanding is any watch (rep or not) that says 50M is NOT to be under water. I think 100M is when you can feel comfortabel swimming. 300 for diving. https://www.watcho.co.uk/watches/information/water-resistance-on-watches-guide.html

rolex4me

often nice, sometimes evil😜
Supporter
10/4/16
Hello, I do this by having my watchmaker test my 2 watches (that I go swimming with) once a year. This only costs a few dollars and I have more peace of mind when swimming :).
I don't go into the water with any other watches because you can't trust the promises on the websites (at least in terms of tightness)

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
I bought my own pressure tester off eBay and can test to 10 Bar which is OK for swimming. Just test it every six to 12 months and you’re good to go if it passes, if not, don’t get it wet or get it waterproofed, the bubbles will tell you where the issue lies if there is one!