• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Release SBF Daytona with DD4131 Proprietary Movement (Most advanced version)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
There are at least 2 of us in this thread who don't give a flying monkeys fuck what's inside a rep with a closed case back.

As long as they are sensibly reliable and keep decent time once run in and regulated I definitely don't give a shit ;)

As for display case backs, there isn't many decorated movements that will fool anyone who knows movements, I'm no expert at all, but I can soon spot a fair few of them.
I share your sentiment.

1. Closed caseback = movement visuals cease to matter
2. Open caseback, clone movements = yes looks decent but like you said the tells are still there for those in the know
3. Open caseback, clone movements, gen bridges/plates = can pass off as gen from casual inspection but often the balance wheel assembly will look off especially for free sprung movements
4. Open caseback, clone movements, gen bridges, "free sprung" movements (faux free sprung for those few produced so far, maintaining the visuals but not the function) = looks gen yes, but can potentially run like crazy, though not always. Its like sticking a fireworks in the ground and guessing which way it will take off.

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
🇩🇪
I share your sentiment.

1. Closed caseback = movement visuals cease to matter
2. Open caseback, clone movements = yes looks decent but like you said the tells are still there for those in the know
3. Open caseback, clone movements, gen bridges/plates = can pass off as gen from casual inspection but often the balance wheel assembly will look off especially for free sprung movements
4. Open caseback, clone movements, gen bridges, "free sprung" movements (faux free sprung for those few produced so far, maintaining the visuals but not the function) = looks gen yes, but can potentially run like crazy, though not always. Its like sticking a fireworks in the ground and guessing which way it will take off.
5. Open caseback, clone movements, gen bridges, gen balance, gen rotor, among some other gen parts. That's my case, looks gen, and passes any visual test unless a watchmaker inspection. Poke a black hole in my wallet you don't need the Hubble telescope to see it.

Honestly, I prefer anything that can shove a 2824 or NH35 inside, probably not 7750. Not a Daytona I know.

Reaps

-
25/9/22
I placed an order and will update thread

For half the cost of the Clean, with a stable chronograph movement with a column wheel and vertical clutch, it is too good of a watch value wise

The SL 4802 is great (I own one) and can be bought off the shelf with no issue from Aliexpress. Visually it has no impact on these closed caseback watches.

50hr power reserve? Doesnt bother me since I have to wind watches everyday anyways

Undirectional rotor? Ok I own a SL4802 it isn't that bad....

This is why AR+ and QF dont understand. If they charged half price for their Daytonas like SBF here they would sell many more models....

There is a untapped market of good value replicas that has been lost with the rising costs of replica

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
I placed an order and will update thread

For half the cost of the Clean, with a stable chronograph movement with a column wheel and vertical clutch, it is too good of a watch value wise

The SL 4802 is great (I own one) and can be bought off the shelf with no issue from Aliexpress. Visually it has no impact on these closed caseback watches.

50hr power reserve? Doesnt bother me since I have to wind watches everyday anyways

Undirectional rotor? Ok I own a SL4802 it isn't that bad....

This is why AR+ and QF dont understand. If they charged half price for their Daytonas like SBF here they would sell many more models....

There is a untapped market of good value replicas that has been lost with the rising costs of replica
This!
We see this with many reps that are issued by several factories. There is a model that is state of the art in terms of quality, and the "poorer" factories then price their models at the same price or with a maximum discount of 10%. Of course, we then go for the best model. Especially in the case of the very expensive Daytona, this means that factories such as APS or ZF have simply gambled and are unable to sell their watches. That can't really be in the interests of the factories either. It's better - as VSF is doing now - to enter the market with a significantly lower price, then there will also be a market for models that are not the front runners in their category.

Ah0rsey

18 hands high, bushy mane.
Patron
Certified
9/8/22
uk
after reading all this the one thing I remember is @dogwood saying after his tear down "doesnt wind in both directions and it might be noisy".....

personally I don't care if it looks good or gen "like" if it sounds like a heli taking off, for me that maybe a flaw in the rotor design overall. I'm not sure how easy or not to lubricate this problem away it'll still spin freely 50% of the time. Think I'd rather a Clean 126x

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
I was a bit sour when I first saw the SBF version since I just bought a clean daytona less than 2 weeks ago and paid almost twice the price. But dogwood's analysis kinda sooth the pain a bit

Reactions: Karbon74

Guiltycat

Supporter
Patron
Certified
31/8/22
after reading all this the one thing I remember is @dogwood saying after his tear down "doesnt wind in both directions and it might be noisy".....

personally I don't care if it looks good or gen "like" if it sounds like a heli taking off, for me that maybe a flaw in the rotor design overall. I'm not sure how easy or not to lubricate this problem away it'll still spin freely 50% of the time. Think I'd rather a Clean 126x
That’s what gets me is well, I’ve read on another forum that the sl4801/2 has some noise in the uni directional rotor, I’ve personally had enough noise from my reps with the miyota9015 :censored: . Slightly oiling the rotor does help

Although price is tempting, $400 from TD and 350 non
Clean is $750 td and 650non

Reactions: Mkempes and Ah0rsey

Reaps

-
25/9/22
I own the SL-4801 from the ADGF Daytona and it isn't as bad as people put it. Ok if you obnoxiously and violently spin your wrist like a fidget spinner then it'll spin, but it's pretty much unnoticeable in a regular room with people talking.

I'll take a video sometime and post it.

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Ok if you obnoxiously and violently spin your wrist like a fidget spinner then it'll spin, but it's pretty much unnoticeable in a regular room with people talking.

100% agree, many Gens have noisy rotors, yes a couple of droplets of oil will help, again, it wouldn't bother me one bit, I mean, FFS it certainly doesn't sound like a Helicopter winding up :ROFLMAO:

Guiltycat

Supporter
Patron
Certified
31/8/22
I own the SL-4801 from the ADGF Daytona and it isn't as bad as people put it. Ok if you obnoxiously and violently spin your wrist like a fidget spinner then it'll spin, but it's pretty much unnoticeable in a regular room with people talking.

I'll take a video sometime and post it.
I’m probably just spoilt by the dd4130 and sh4131. Can’t feel or hear the rotor on those.
How’s the 4801 feel on the wrist? Any other movement you can compare it to?

Reactions: Dave2302

Reaps

-
25/9/22
100% agree, many Gens have noisy rotors, yes a couple of droplets of oil will help, again, it wouldn't bother me one bit, I mean, FFS it certainly doesn't sound like a Helicopter winding up :ROFLMAO:
Wait until people find out that the 30k Patek 324c caliber is noisy as fuck, it's like a zipper flying around, ..... noise is just inherent to mechanical objects in general, you can minimize it but it's to be expected

I’m probably just spoilt by the dd4130 and sh4131. Can’t feel or hear the rotor on those.
How’s the 4801 feel on the wrist? Any other movement you can compare it to?
Doesn't feel any better or worse than the DD4130. And I've owned both the BTF and Clean variants of the watch, I've also had multiple of them serviced.

I actually think OOTB the SL-4801 felt better, it was crisper in winding, I think maybe the legal nature of it means it's assembled better. I don't really have a moment with it where I was like "wow, that was loud". Of course 1 data point might be difficult, experiences may vary.

The pusher action feels the same as the 4130, I mean, nothing to complain about, fairly satisfying.

Bobi01

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/2/19
I think this is the same dials like Clean factory

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Some good iron filings and token pubes in that movement! Still, that aside it looks good.

• Haha
Reactions: Dave2302

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Some good iron filings and token pubes in that movement! Still, that aside it looks good.

Yep, I think the 4801 / 2 movements look to be way better built than the ponced up 4131's, and why do we care what the balance looks like, from the dawn of watches the regulating system used in 99.9 % of movements has always been the same design and has mostly served us well (y)