• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New QF 116519LN (real?) meteorite dial Daytona

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Mine sadly seems to have developed some rust on the dial. A noticeable dot at 4 and also some slight brown hue from 5 to 9. I got mine a year ago here m2m and have not worn it for a few months. Any idea how to safely remove those stains and maybe prevent them developing in the future?

• Sad
Reactions: Hasselbaink

mmaggi

Renowned Member
17/2/22
New York, USA
@deadaglev - That's a beautiful dial. Meteorite, dial print and sub dials look very good. I always thought QF did a good job with their meteorite dials yet they never got much love on RWI.

I would bring it to a watch smith to find out what could be done. Maybe there's some solution that could be applied that would remove it? Sanding it wouldn't be a good idea because it's too close to the markers. I'm guessing the rust appeared because of some residual moisture in the case. Therefore all the seals should be checked out as well.

Maybe @Oascom could chime in?

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
It is very beautiful indeed. If you are lucky and get a good dial with a nice pattern, then the QF is amazing.
Sanding it is obviously out of the question, i am looking for something that will not damage the dial or change its appearance in any way. Maybe something that can be applied locally just on the rusty spots?

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
@deadaglev - That's a beautiful dial. Meteorite, dial print and sub dials look very good. I always thought QF did a good job with their meteorite dials yet they never got much love on RWI.

I would bring it to a watch smith to find out what could be done. Maybe there's some solution that could be applied that would remove it? Sanding it wouldn't be a good idea because it's too close to the markers. I'm guessing the rust appeared because of some residual moisture in the case. Therefore all the seals should be checked out as well.

Maybe @Oascom could chime in?

It is very beautiful indeed. If you are lucky and get a good dial with a nice pattern, then the QF is amazing.
Sanding it is obviously out of the question, i am looking for something that will not damage the dial or change its appearance in any way. Maybe something that can be applied locally just on the rusty spots?
Pencil eraser and micro crystaline to seal it. Very delicate work be careful

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Pencil eraser and micro crystaline to seal it. Very delicate work be careful
thank you very much. I will try pencil eraser. Not sure what micro crystaline is and how to apply it (all google is suggesting is some wax that looks like it might be used on furniture).

sudo mysql

Horology Curious
18/3/23
conus
thank you very much. I will try pencil eraser. Not sure what micro crystaline is and how to apply it (all google is suggesting is some wax that looks like it might be used on furniture).
I know almost nothing but that sounds like it may be the right product. After you remove the rust you need to seal it so it doesn't continue rusting from exposure to air and moisture; wax would do that, it's often used to preserve metal for museum display.

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany

@deadaglev

Any update here? Might prevent me from buying a meteorite dial Daytona...
Sadly have not been able to get to it yet. So many things and projects at the same time and i wanted to use the opportunity to upgrade to a deep crystal. Which i don’t have yet:)