• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Noob Daytona 116520 4130 clone build thread.

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
Right, I have my first hiccup.

Contacted Phong in regards to a 78490 clasp with the hole in. "No problem" he says, "I have one, but I'm away until April so I'll post it then." Fine. I ask for pictures, he doesn't have any, but assures me it's properly marked with stainless markings and is the same as the one in this picture I sent him:

SfR96z5.jpg

I paid the $150 plus $60 shipping. Today a parcel arrives from Phong. Inside was this:

3dUR38X.jpg

EhsvTEM.jpg

I'm hoping there has been a mix up somewhere, and this wasn't intended for me. I've seen better clasps on £20 canal street reps. Will update.

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13

Contacted Phong in regards to a 78490 clasp with the hole in. "No problem" he says, "I have one, but I'm away until April so I'll post it then." Fine. I ask for pictures, he doesn't have any, but assures me it's properly marked with stainless markings and is the same as the one in this picture I sent him:

SfR96z5.jpg

I paid the $150 plus $60 shipping. Today a parcel arrives from Phong. Inside was this:

3dUR38X.jpg

EhsvTEM.jpg

I'm hoping there has been a mix up somewhere, and this wasn't intended for me. I've seen better clasps on £20 canal street reps. Will update.

WTF? Trademark stamp in Swedish?

Reactions: capice

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
WTF? Trademark stamp in Swedish?

Haha it's a beauty isn't it! God only knows, looks to be some extinct language, but that's the least of my worries with this monstrosity.

Last edited:

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13
Haha it's a beauty isn't it! God only knows, looks to be some extinct language, but that's the least of my worries with this monstrosity.

Worst case scenario you could swap it with one of the ARF clasps and sell it off. Noone would notice. :rofl:

Reactions: bill33

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Running within 4 secs a day, power reserve is good, still going strong after 36hours. Resets back to zero perfectly every time without fail.

powerreserve should be 72 hours

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
shit, just look for a gen

I know it’s junk. I’ve been searching, they’re like hens teeth. See one the other day for just under £1k, I’m not paying that.

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong

SfR96z5.jpg

3dUR38X.jpg

EhsvTEM.jpg

sorry to see and hear that you received that clasp!

I hope there was some serious mix up... everything on it is so wrong

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
I know! Awful isn’t it. It’s so bad my girlfriend even laughed at it. I’m fairly confident it’s a mix up. Or a wind up haha.

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I know! Awful isn’t it. It’s so bad my girlfriend even laughed at it. I’m fairly confident it’s a mix up. Or a wind up haha.

haha at least you guys are having a laugh!

The postage is quite expensive as well for a clasp like that. I don't even know where to begin..

From my ultra limited daytona experience, i don't think i have even seen an older 116520 clasp before

Even the daytona 16520 clasp on phong's website look bad though:
sub-band-2.jpg

http://www.jewelryandwatch.com/contents/en-us/d98.html

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
haha at least you guys are having a laugh!

The postage is quite expensive as well for a clasp like that. I don't even know where to begin..

From my ultra limited daytona experience, i don't think i have even seen an older 116520 clasp before

Even the daytona 16520 clasp on phong's website look bad though:
sub-band-2.jpg

http://www.jewelryandwatch.com/contents/en-us/d98.html

What else can you do? Pointless getting stressed over it ha.

I know, it was express DHL and was here in a few days to be fair.

This is the one, 78490, was around from 2000-2008, the best clasp Rolex have ever made IMO.

syQZFre.jpg

Yeah thats awful also, looks like it has the same engravings/codes/gibberish as the junk I received.

Attachments

• 285470.jpg
    285470.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 0

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
sorry i was meant to say an older decent 'rep' 116520 clasp

i am planning to sand the rehaut as well and I have been looking at the older gen 116520 clasp. They seem very expensive!

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
Of course, my apologies.

I had a great one, bought it from someone on rwg.bz and stupidly sold it. Can't track it down for the life of me.

There's a NOS one on eBay now for just shy of £1000. I won't pay that much though.

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
Clasp sent was an error thankfully. Full refund offered and accepted.

That leaves me looking for a clasp still. If anyone has one they’d like to sell please let me know. Good rep one or Genuine Rolex.

lelloarena

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/11/17
Clasp sent was an error thankfully. Full refund offered and accepted.

That leaves me looking for a clasp still. If anyone has one they’d like to sell please let me know. Good rep one or Genuine Rolex.

I have one but poor quality, bought from Nembo on Repgeek
I can send you pictures later

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
This thread is the final verdict and answer to the popular question: "Should I buy the celebrated ARF Daytona or the new Noob Daytona with the 4130 clone?"

ANSWER:

If you want the most accurate and best Daytona by far externally, and if you do not care about all subdials working, buy the ARF Daytona for less than 500 USD and enjoy it immediately out of the box.

If you care a lot about the new 4130 clone movement and that all the subdials are working, buy the new Noob Daytona for around 600 USD. But be prepared to fiddle around for weeks and months in order to mod and franken that inaccurate rep for achieving the same ARF Daytona out of the box quality and look. And that might easily add another 1.000 - 2.000 USD or more.

You choice.

I don't agree with your statement as it's way too general. It depends on which Daytona reference we're talking about. According to the OP the NOOB 116500 (not this 116520) would be way closer to gen, as it would have correct text spacing, correct rehaut engravings, correct dial and correct case, and the working chrono which ARF does not have. So NOOB 116500 >> ARF 116500 but ARF 116520 >> NOOB 116520

Reactions: Akonhell

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Nice writeup but what a junk-piece right off the bat. Nice they cloned the movement and all but rest is horrible.