• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New heavy 15400

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
@legend is fully correct, tungsten is known to cause many skin irritations.
Tungsten carbide is on most cases bound together with nickel, which is what is known to cause for example blacking of the skin.

If nickel isn't used, it's usually cobalt which in itself is s whole different monster and causes eczema of the skin.
Now I know why my neighbor Pauline has

1. A new 15400OR which she refused to show me close up and
2. A blackened wrist.

I’m going to forward your post to her and say “I told you so”.

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Now I know why my neighbor Pauline has

1. A new 15400OR which she refused to show me close up and
2. A blackened wrist.

I’m going to forward your post to her and say “I told you so”.
Kill Her Now Lala Anthony GIF by ABC Network

Reactions: legend

SwePe

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/9/22
EU
@legend is fully correct, tungsten is known to cause many skin irritations.
Tungsten carbide is on most cases bound together with nickel, which is what is known to cause for example blacking of the skin.

If nickel isn't used, it's usually cobalt which in itself is s whole different monster and causes eczema of the skin.
Do you guys think this will be a factor even if the tungsten is plated?

My naive thinking says it should then be a protective layer between the tungsten/nickel/cobolt and the skin, but I could be totally mistaken.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Do you guys think this will be a factor even if the tungsten is plated?

My naive thinking says it should then be a protective layer between the tungsten/nickel/cobolt and the skin, but I could be totally mistaken.
Plating WILL wear off over time and I don’t know if the composition of gold plating and tungsten and its elements is harmful for the skin. Its just something too new for anyone to have concrete information about.
I don’t think you can find gold plated tungsten commonly outside of this hobby and the composition of the tungsten alloy used for the “heavies” in our hobby could differ.

Reactions: Allure and SwePe

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Plating WILL wear off over time and I don’t know if the composition of gold plating and tungsten and its elements is harmful for the skin. Its just something too new for anyone to have concrete information about.
I don’t think you can find gold plated tungsten commonly outside of this hobby and the composition of the tungsten alloy used for the “heavies” in our hobby could differ.
Yep

Might be like our early AP reps where the steel didn't get to bind with the gold plating because of all the tin and scrap metal in the mix lol

SwePe

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/9/22
EU
That’s a good point. Can’t image that so much research have been made on plated tungsten replicas😅

Reactions: legend