• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New heavy 15400

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
In a nutshell, instead of gold plated steel, we now have a gold plated tungsten alloy. This is not really anything new, and one improvement vs gen is the weight of the case. Comes with its own pros and cons but I would not recommend wearing one personally.

Reactions: Storm.

wertman1

Horology Curious
23/10/09
In a nutshell, instead of gold plated steel, we now have a gold plated tungsten alloy. This is not really anything new, and one improvement vs gen is the weight of the case. Comes with its own pros and cons but I would not recommend wearing one personally.
Can the tungsten take more or less gold plating? If you added a bracelet the weight should be up there l would think. I believe it’s about 150 more than steel version.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I do not have enough knowledge or data about the plating capacity of tungsten vs steel. What I do know is that depending on the actual composition of the alloy used, it may pose certain health hazards or allergy for the wearer. This is not substantiated, I am just saying that based on a recent discussion with a vendor in China.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I do not have enough knowledge or data about the plating capacity of tungsten vs steel. What I do know is that depending on the actual composition of the alloy used, it may pose certain health hazards or allergy for the wearer. This is not substantiated, I am just saying that based on a recent discussion with a vendor in China.
Interesting take. I know lead wouldn't be a good idea, but I'd like to know how Tungsten could be harmful.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Interesting take. I know lead wouldn't be a good idea, but I'd like to know how Tungsten could be harmful.
I’m not sure either. Entirely new to this and was just sharing what the vendor told me. From my reading so far it seems tungsten is used for a lot of jewellery. So the difference could be in the specific composition. I asked him for the composition of the alloy used and he would check it for me. He was unable say if lead is part of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Storm. and TESLA760

VenomGT3

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
29/4/22
USA
Wow. So tungsten weighted reps could be hazardous?

jimbo-o

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/5/23
Louisiana
Tungsten has a far worse ability to be plated compared to steel. I won’t go into all the chemistry, but certain alloys of tungsten that include copper provide the best uptake of gold plating but it’s only marginally better than other versions of tungsten. For number comparison, 1-10, tungsten is like a 3 in plating capability where steel is like a 7-8 depending on the alloy. Copper would be a 10.

In terms of toxicity, if something is gold plated, it’s essentially wrapping it with plastic clean film providing a barrier between it and you so unless that plating is disrupted by damage you will be fine. The science behind plating is also essentially homogenous in its application so you don’t have to worry about ‘holes’ in the plating not being covered and anything getting in contact with you

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Tungsten has a far worse ability to be plated compared to steel. I won’t go into all the chemistry, but certain alloys of tungsten that include copper provide the best uptake of gold plating but it’s only marginally better than other versions of tungsten. For number comparison, 1-10, tungsten is like a 3 in plating capability where steel is like a 7-8 depending on the alloy. Copper would be a 10.

In terms of toxicity, if something is gold plated, it’s essentially wrapping it with plastic clean film providing a barrier between it and you so unless that plating is disrupted by damage you will be fine. The science behind plating is also essentially homogenous in its application so you don’t have to worry about ‘holes’ in the plating not being covered and anything getting in contact with you
Thank you for your expert opinion and I appreciate it a lot. Much better than taking stabs in the dark and arriving at misinformed conjectures sir.

• Love
Reactions: jimbo-o

Martycus

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS
Tungsten is a hazardous substance and can be considered toxic if inhaled. It's also a brittle metal and often combined with other metals make an alloy.

A potential health hazard that comes into play is during the manufacturing process into a finished product. When the metal or alloy is worked on - grinding, polishing welding, etc. it's kicking up a fine dust that's powder-like and if the fabricator (worker) is not well protected, the powder can easily come in contact with exposed skin, eyes, mouth and inhaled.

Reactions: legend

MFK100

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
16/11/20
Bought out of curiosity with deep crystal , as i already have a gen 15400or dial as well!

I can feel it is heavy , the leather strap is very good quality , snugs well with the plots. Plating is better than expected as well , better than what is shown in pics. Gen dial with deep xtal will take to another level! I am not really someone who enjoys full gold but did it out of curiosity !

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Comprato per curiosità con Deep Crystal, dato che ho già anche un quadrante gen 15400or!

Sento che è pesante, il cinturino in pelle è di ottima qualità, aderisce bene alle trame. Anche la placcatura è migliore del previsto, migliore di quanto mostrato nelle foto. Il quadrante Gen con Xtal profondo porterà ad un altro livello! Non sono proprio qualcuno a cui piace l'oro pieno, ma l'ho fatto per curiosità!

Beautiful watch bro ;-)

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Are those gold-plated screws or stainless-steel screws that is securing the strap to the case? Hard to tell on my monitor.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yes, it sure looks like SS. I personally would change the screws to match the case.
Why so? All bracelet securement screws on AP gold Royal Oak models are stainless steel like they should be. Given that they need to be functionally robust to secure the straps to the case and also be in contact with the sharp edges of the screwdriver, using either gold or gold plating won’t make sense.

Reactions: Dienekes and Allure

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20

I’m not sure either. Entirely new to this and was just sharing what the vendor told me. From my reading so far it seems tungsten is used for a lot of jewellery. So the difference could be in the specific composition. I asked him for the composition of the alloy used and he would check it for me. He was unable say if lead is part of it.
@legend is fully correct, tungsten is known to cause many skin irritations.
Tungsten carbide is on most cases bound together with nickel, which is what is known to cause for example blacking of the skin.

If nickel isn't used, it's usually cobalt which in itself is s whole different monster and causes eczema of the skin.

Reactions: legend