• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New heavier 15400 by APS

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
I would like to ask owners of this (or a similar non tungsten model from APS) model, which quality the leather straps has. We all know leather straps on Reps are often bad and a good croc strap compatible with the 15400 often costs nearly as much as the watch itself. At least for me the quality of the leather is very important, so this is a crucial point for the buying decision.

Reaps

-
25/9/22
I would like to ask owners of this (or a similar non tungsten model from APS) model, which quality the leather straps has. We all know leather straps on Reps are often bad and a good croc strap compatible with the 15400 often costs nearly as much as the watch itself. At least for me the quality of the leather is very important, so this is a crucial point for the buying decision.

Reactions: JayBee0815

Jimbothegreat

Known Member
Patron
Certified
30/12/23
It comes with cowhide. To get one with crocodile leather costs about $110 :)

Reactions: JayBee0815

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
Yeah, that’s about right. If you’re not going for a designer-branded strap, they’re usually pretty darned cheap.
I know, but unfortunately most (not all!) cheap straps are bad in quality. I know, this is a subjective question and everyone has different opinions. But for me a cheap or medium quality strap for a rep of a very high quality watch is an absolute dealbreaker. I always smile about the guys, who reject QCs because a index is one degree off and wear this flawless beauty on a PU-leather strap, which is so stiff, that it can be used as a diving board in a mice cage ;-)
Especially with a tungsten model, where you pay a premium to "deceive" yourself and not others, the best possible "Gen feeling" is part of it for me.

And a quick word about Croc-Straps. I know the problem from JLC and Calatrava Reps. The Rep straps are mediocre at best (e.g. APS JLC Ultra Moon) but usually so bad that you don't really want to wear them with such a beautiful watch. There are a few good suppliers who offer quality at fair prices - e.g. ZicZacLeather. But they almost always come from South East Asia and German customs are merciless when it comes to crocodile leather. Good straps with certification that come from EU suppliers tend to cost 200 euros plus. That's ok. But then there's the problem of "proper" connections - not all of these suppliers offer AP-compatible straps. And if you do find one, you're looking at 400 euros plus.

Reactions: gilrob

Kaptajnen2000

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/7/17
I remember talks about the APSF using 15500 cases for their 15400. Anyone know if that is the case for this one? I am by no means an AP expert so also curious to hear if anyone has been able to assess how the APSF dials compare to gen. Quite in love with the grey one.

fishysquishy

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
19/10/15
"Fyi the rose gold is too copper on these. Thats local market review of this model."
Hi, I received my qc pics and now you got in my head about the copper tone.. to be honest I didn't really see it in the pics you posted only some which very likely can be lighting. My question is, does mine look improved or does it look more coppery then the previous apsf versions. its very tricky as lighting plays a big part but was hoping to get other opinions whether or not this is an issue with this latest version or not

findingtime384

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/4/24
Florida
I
have a JF version and the quality is great