• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Clean GMT - First Impressions

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Thats just awful lol. So much gunk and grease 😵‍💫
CLEAN isnt very clean it seems.

The ball / hole bezel is genius. How does it hold in place? Friction fit as the traditional one? Any chance of micro adjustment of tightness of the operation?

And fully agree, @CTime you're doing a bombastic job, seriously impressed and grateful we have you. 🫡

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you hahah I will inform them when I meet them next time. I will kick the sh** out of them and force them to update it, wish me luck🤞🤞
LOL, awesome bro 🥊 🥊

This is way for CLEAN to totally outperform the competition and firmly establish itself as THE premier GMT rep factory. What a coup it would be for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adidos and AG91

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thats just awful lol. So much gunk and grease 😵‍💫
CLEAN isnt very clean it seems.

The ball / hole bezel is genius. How does it hold in place? Friction fit as the traditional one? Any chance of micro adjustment of tightness of the operation?

And fully agree, @CTime you're doing a bombastic job, seriously impressed and grateful we have you. 🫡
The Rollerball bezel has a hytrel ring same as always. The hytrel fits under the retaining ring lip. It's a modified design taken from the Sub, just an extra ball and no click. There's no adjustment needed - it's firm and strong but easily moved with a little force. It snaps into the next detent with a satisfying thunk that you can hear and feel. I daresay it's a better design than the gen.

The insert is adhered with double-sided tape but tbh I greatly prefer that on a rep. It's much more forgiving to work with for removals and reinstalls. Press fit inserts carry a much higher risk factor. Also there is no way to press an insert out from the bottom with the Rollerball bezel so you have to use a hobby razor blade. This removal technique is not fun with a press fit insert.

j1J6hn.jpg

Last edited:

Hugg727

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
15/2/23
NJ,USA
@KJ2020 Thank you for explaining some of these bezel mods. I have only been on here a month or so but I am planning on using you guide to make the GMT II bezel better, once my Batgirl comes in.

Reactions: mcboom and KJ2020

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
The Rollerball bezel has a hytrel ring same as always. The hytrel fits under the retaining ring lip. It's a modified design taken from the Sub, just an extra ball and no click. There's no adjustment needed - it's firm and strong but easily moved with a little force. It snaps into the next detent with a satisfying thunk you can hear and feel. I daresay it's a better design than the gen.

The insert is adhered with double-sided tape but tbh I greatly prefer that on a rep. It's much more forgiving to work with for removals and reinstalls. Press fit inserts carry a much higher risk factor. Also there is no way to press an insert out from the bottom with the Rollerball bezel so you have to use a hobby razor blade. This removal technique is not fun with a press fit insert.
Thanks for the detail bro. I meant hight adjustment, but if its like you say, theres probably very little variation in the gap betwen the bottom of the bezel and top of the case, so thats another + mark for this type of design.

Yeah, agree with you on the press fit risks, I have not managed to crack one yet, but thats due to a number of them Ive done, rather than my skill lol.
I strongly prefer an watchmakers epoxy for the bezel (the black, slighly flexible stuff) rather than double sided tape, as I swim and shower and do everything else in between, with my watches, so I dont even wanna think about loosing another bezel at sea. (happened to my gen kermit flat 4 insert years ago)

• Wow
Reactions: mcboom

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for the detail bro. I meant hight adjustment, but if its like you say, theres probably very little variation in the gap betwen the bottom of the bezel and top of the case, so thats another + mark for this type of design.

Yeah, agree with you on the press fit risks, I have not managed to crack one yet, but thats due to a number of them Ive done, rather than my skill lol.
I strongly prefer an watchmakers epoxy for the bezel (the black, slighly flexible stuff) rather than double sided tape, as I swim and shower and do everything else in between, with my watches, so I dont even wanna think about loosing another bezel at sea. (happened to my gen kermit flat 4 insert years ago)
Ah yes, I have used various glues on inserts at times. Even made epoxy beds in deep bezel wells to later double-side tape a much thinner replacement insert. You could use epoxy to adhere this insert. Applying it in short lines at specific locations rather than a continuous bead is something I usually do to make removal a little easier. This bezel well is solid.

3662Q2.jpg

The Rollerball bezel sits tight against the case. No gap at all. I was a little concerned about gouging up the underside getting it off but it went OK. It's still apart atm, I'll post a side profile pic in the other thread when I get it back together. We should stay on track here :cool:

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Oh yes yes, sorry for the d-tour, Ill move to your other thread about this. 🫡

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
The dial looks right on. LEC is large and visible. Hands are fine also. Date wheel is good. Don’t see much issue with it. Would need it in hand to see the bezel. I ordered mine and look forward to getting it and reviewing it.

mag8

11/2/15
EU
are the movements still setting the time rotating the crown in the opposite direction compared to gen?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
are the movements still setting the time rotating the crown in the opposite direction compared to gen?
For 126x GMT models, the DD3285 sets time like the gen.

3285 - backward crown = fwd hands

For 116x GMT models (CLEAN still makes the all black insert 116710 LN and TT 116713 LN), the previous VR3186 movement sets time like these gens and will be different from gen if CLEAN puts the DD3285 in them.

3186 - fwd crown = fwd hands

Last edited:
Reactions: mag8

mag8

11/2/15
EU
For 126x GMT models, the DD3285 sets time like the gen.

3285 - backward crown = fwd hands

For 116x GMT models (CLEAN still makes the all black insert 116710 LN), the previous VR3186 movement set time like the gen and will be different from gen if CLEAN puts the DD3285 in it.

3186 - fwd crown = fwd hands
thanks, pretty clear

Reactions: mcboom and KJ2020

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Thanks @trailboss99 for an honest and succinct write up!

Do you think the insert is the same or better than my prev female bat?
TheRealWorld.jpg

You are asking the wrong person. If I can't see it on my wrist I really don't give a damn but yes, the blue/black divide is cleaner and the paint is probably a bit neater with less overflow.

Seriously tho, what the hell is the point of such hugely blown-up images, are you Clark Kent? As I said, yes it's probably a bit better but can anyone (including you without a loupe) notice? No. Is each and every gen perfect? No.

Last edited:

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
TheRealWorld.jpg

You are asking the wrong person. If I can't see it on my wrist I really don't give a damn but yes, the blue/black divide is cleaner and the paint is probably a bit neater with less overflow.

Seriously tho, what the hell is the point of such hugely blown-up images, are you Clark Kent? As I said, yes it's probably a bit better but can anyone (including you without a loupe) notice? No. Is each and every gen perfect? No.
This.

Paul Newman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
31/3/15
Thank you for the images, is the crystal in the new cleans improved? For me it was the main thing aside from the bezel turn or whatever.

GMTlover

27/12/12
Still hoping for a VSF GMT with proper bezel construction and good AR’ed cyclops.
Should be an easy winner

SubNot

Supporter
Certified
17/5/19
EU
Thanks for the images and review. Is the bezel and dial of the Clean GMT an easy swap with genuine ones? I've got a gen bezel and gen dial from a 116710LN and I'd like to build a franken and I'm considering the clean as base after reading this post. Thanks in advance.

CTime

Renowned Member
Trusted Dealer
29/9/22
Guangzhou, China
Thanks for the images and review. Is the bezel and dial of the Clean GMT an easy swap with genuine ones? I've got a gen bezel and gen dial from a 116710LN and I'd like to build a franken and I'm considering the clean as base after reading this post. Thanks in advance.
It should fit, my friend. I confirmed with clean already

Reactions: SubNot