• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NAUTILUS 5711 PPF Blue Dial OUTTTTTT!!!

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
Im still rolling with pf‘s blue 5711 and cant see myself selling it in the near future lol.

The thickness ( + 0.3 - 0.4 mm compared to ppf ) is no reason at all to get rid of it.

I agree with blackjaguar...Under direct light ( indoors ) it does have a purple touch to it but this is how the dial actually looks like :

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Beautiful, and completely agreed with your assessment here. I decided to keep my blue PF, as well, and decided to forgo purchasing the blue PPF (for now). Unless I see some photos to convince me otherwise, I think I'm going to stick with the PF. It just looks too beautiful in natural light to let it go, and it's still a phenomenal watch. It also helps that I acquired the White PPF, which I think for now is the better version of the two.

Last edited:

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
Beautiful, and completely agreed with your assessment here. I decided to keep my blue PF, as well, and decided to forgo purchasing the blue PPF (for now). Unless I see some photos to convince me otherwise, I think I'm going to stick with the PF. It just looks too beautiful in natural light to let it go, and it's still a phenomenal watch. It also helps that I acquired the White PPF, which I think for now is the better version of the two.

I believe that when the PF first came out (about 18 months ago?) it was made available in a "standard" version and also a 40th anniversary version - is there any consensus as to which of the two versions is more accurate??

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
I believe that when the PF first came out (about 18 months ago?) it was made available in a "standard" version and also a 40th anniversary version - is there any consensus as to which of the two versions is more accurate??

I don’t think there has been enough reviews of the 40th edition. The “standard” edition is great after the DWO mod and some modding of the bracelet to remove sharp edges. Otherwise, it’s a great rep.

Oh, there is also the obvious difference in thickness (9mm), but that’s really not an issue on the wrist.

Reactions: J0n4s

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16
Well I’ve ordered mine, let’s wait and see when it arrives, from the pics and videos so far it could be great or it could be awful, lol, only one way to find out!!

DC

Thank god for that, I was going to be a guineapig but will sit on my hands until yours arrives!

Reactions: Mr.Marbella

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I don’t think there has been enough reviews of the 40th edition. The “standard” edition is great after the DWO mod and some modding of the bracelet to remove sharp edges. Otherwise, it’s a great rep.

Oh, there is also the obvious difference in thickness (9mm), but that’s really not an issue on the wrist.

I love the baguette diamond on the 40th and the silver lining around the date window, but can't stand the stupid 40th marking on the dial

Reactions: BlackJaguar

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
I love the baguette diamond on the 40th and the silver lining around the date window, but can't stand the stupid 40th marking on the dial

100% concur, love the baguette markers, makes a watch feel truly special to have baguette markers, but the 40th Anniversary logo right across the dial was just a bizarre choice, very un-Patek!!!

DC

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
100% concur, love the baguette markers, makes a watch feel truly special to have baguette markers, but the 40th Anniversary logo right across the dial was just a bizarre choice, very un-Patek!!!

DC

Would not have put it better : "very un-Patek" it's very "show of", lack of class and distinction to it and really contrast with the still subtle baguette diamond markers and diamond solitaire in the bezel. I wouldn't have pick a regular 5711 is the 40th anniversary had a regular dial, this would have been my first choice !

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
40th Aniversary selling for 380K now!

Pocket change money ...

VQ723X.gif

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12

Reminds me of Ford F150 logo lol

But love the little daimond at 6 o'clock on the side of the Bezel. Nice little touch.

OverTheTop

Known Member
12/11/14
Buying a rep and finding a new one better is 50% happiness 50% displeasure... and I want to say just few words for those who haven’t buy yet a 5711 and has the intention to buy it...

This because I saw in these days too much people dispensing wrong information about the rep of this watch...and somebody, probably to convince himself of their purchase, make some confusion...

I had a gen and I know the feelings with this watch... and I had in my hands few reps of this watch...

I can start saying that if you are searching something like gen you can stop wasting time... I wasted too much time to reach this awareness...

Year by year “our friends” (the factories) has made important steps with that watch but even now they haven’t reach the “perfection”...

For someone perfection stay in the movements for others stay in the design...to me the best could be a PPF with just some correction...

One of the best Nautilus was a batch of the SW200...I still have it...beautiful! The only problems with that were :

the big endlink,
for someone the movement
and the dial that in front of light became too light grey...

Nowadays the only 2 nautilus to consider are PF and PPF...but to me only PPF...

I had blue PF in my hand some days ago and also the grey one...

Overall it was the best rep of 5711 before the PPF came out...but who knows the 5711 can call it out from 100 meters!

Indoor, outdoor...the colour of the blue dial is good only in some angles...most of the time you see an electric blue that is far away from the gen.. So much better the grey one if I have to choose..

Dimensions are not like gen. A bit bigger overall (bracelet width, bezel width, etc)

the bracelet is quite flexible and apart the width is well done.. a little bit thicker than the gen...

The engravings of the clasp (the words Patek Philippe not the logo) and the bezel is the best we can have...or near...

Now that we have that PPF there is no competitor IMHO...just 0,2-0,4 mm makes the difference, the bracelet seems to be flexible,thin and light like the gen..these three particulars are important with this watch! Gen hug your wrist softly...

Blue dial is still not perfect (like the white one) but better than the others. The best you can find now.

To me the imperfect engravings, the protruding crown, the movement plate and the imperfect bezel are the things that I would like to see improved just because of their ease..

Then - if they can do like the white dial - I would like to see a really beautiful blue dial...and yes...we could call it a Super Rep

However...forgot all the reps like MKF, JJF, ecc the best now is only PPF.

I hope that all of you can read this words with the intention that I put in these...no hate, no profit, just passion!

bbgf 5562

Horology Curious
31/3/19
I want to say just few words for those who haven’t buy yet a 5711 and has the intention to buy it...

Thanks very much for this writeup. How do you think the PPF white compares to retail white, is it at super rep level? I really wanted blue but I kind of wanted an aquanaut-blue shade of blue, so maybe PPF will be for me even though it isn't the same as retail. Or maybe I should just get an aquanaut. Shame they don't make blue ZF calatrava's.

Lovelyrose

Renowned Member
2/9/14
Thanks very much for this writeup. How do you think the PPF white compares to retail white, is it at super rep level? I really wanted blue but I kind of wanted an aquanaut-blue shade of blue, so maybe PPF will be for me even though it isn't the same as retail. Or maybe I should just get an aquanaut. Shame they don't make blue ZF calatrava's.

Hi new member =] haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bbgf 5562

maison888

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/14
Buying a rep and finding a new one better is 50% happiness 50% displeasure... and I want to say just few words for those who haven’t buy yet a 5711 and has the intention to buy it...

First of all congrats on having the chance to own a gen and the majority of us cannot argue with your statement because of that. But I must say that I have a different opinion since I did encounter a gen while wearing my rep. I'm not saying that you or anyone else is wrong so don't take this the wrong way :). I hope that I also don't add more confusion to those who are still looking to purchase a 5711.

I own a MKF V5 and I had a chance to meet a gentleman who owns a gen a few weeks ago when I was at a restaurant. He was nice enough to let me inspect the watch while it was on his wrist and I did have my Nautilus at the same time so I was able to do quick a comparison. I obviously could not have him hold his wrist up the whole time so I looked for things that stood out to me naturally.

Immediately, first tell for me was the way the bracelet and case shines compared to my rep. It had a brilliant shine, almost gleaming in a way. I do take care of my watches and wipe them down after I wear it so there is very minimal scratch (or nonexistent) blemishes that would affect how light reflects the material. But even then the gen just reflected light differently. Was it obvious? Yes but only if you own a rep, because I'm sure to him my Nautilus was as good as gen.

Second thing that stood out was the gradient and hue of the blue dial. Is the blue on the V5 accurate to gen? To my eyes it's very close. Although if you really pay close attention the gen is a bit lighter...and by "a bit" I mean that very conservatively. I can say that the MKF did an excellent job with the blue to black gradient because it was spot on.

Third thing is obviously the DW.

Overall, I think it's passable (or wearable some would say) and I would even go as far to say that the MK looks pretty damn great despite its flaws (DW, crown guards, misspelling,etc).

Now I have not own a gen nor have I seen any other gen IRL than the one I mentioned above but from my short experience alone I was able to point out those very apparent characteristics at first glance. To me comparing something that cost a fraction of the price to a $2X,XXX time piece is not something to fuss about.

For those who are still looking to get one, keep in mind that there will never be a perfect rep. Buy what looks good to you and what you're happy with. There's nothing wrong with going after perfection or making your watch as close to gen as possible but are you pleasing yourself or are you pleasing that small percentage of people who might know what you're wearing (depending on your surrounding of course). I mean don't get me wrong if someone is able to produce an aftermarket DW to replace the factory ones I'd jump on it right away but I still enjoy wearing the watch as it is...with all the known flaws and even after knowing what it lacks to gen with my own eyes.

Despite the reps not having the "accurate" dial color, we need to keep in mind that there are also different variations of blue dial on a gen. So to me it seems like we're trying to shoot a moving target because unless someone can document a side by side comparison of a gen and a rep that it was intended to imitate then we will never have 100% accurate comparison.

Enjoy this hobby as it is!

ztealth

11/8/13
That's the Chinese way of doing business. They will never make a perfect one. Once they get the dial correct, they will take a step back and mess something up on purpose. They don't realize if they can make even more money if perfect one model of a watch and keep selling them.

Reactions: vcappp