• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Ulysse Nardin Blue Surf from HONT!!!

gazumi

Renowned Member
21/8/08
Thanks for the review Lezzare. I noticed that your serial # is 140. I've seen 130 and 530 as well. Beautiful watch.

Gavilan

Horology Curious
15/2/07
COMMENWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA MELB EMS Released from Customs

OMG i will get mine tomorrow!!!!!! That was quick.

Cant wait :lol:

polaris

27/11/08
Is it just me? 'Cos from a cursory inspection the dial seems off, where the waves are embossed shouldn't it be a darkeer blue?, the waves on the bezel, the teeth on the coin-edge, And if I am not mistaken is that a 21j movement?

TY to the bleeding edge collectors, awaiting your photos.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
yes it is likely an asian 21j, for 150bucks you cannot expect a geniune eta?

This is IMO, a good bang for bucks watch..

coop

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
Just emailed Hont today to order this beauty! Hope I hear back from him soon so I can pay, then this and another from him(Yacht Master II w/working count down timer)will be on the way!

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
People keep saying there are "several" flaws on this rep, but no one seems to have taken the time to list them.

The only one I see that has not yet been mentioned is the deployant. The buttons to open the deployant are nicely blued on the gen, while they remain SS on the rep.

Someone mentioned that the metal parts of the strap are Ti on the gen, but SS on the rep. That is unfortunate.

Although people keep saying the seconds subdial is "too low" on the rep, I do not think that is correct. The subdial and the seconds hand both appear to be in exactly the correct place. What is too low is the DATE WINDOW. If you look carefully at the rep dial, the seconds subdial is in the right place, but the date window is so low that it actually breaks into the bottom of the subdial. The lowered date window also forces the rep to use a smaller 6 o'clock hour marker.

Those are the only flaws I see. Am I missing something?

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
let me explain that given the movement that had to go into this dial, that "flaw" was something that could not be avoided... period..

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
jj69 said:
People keep saying there are "several" flaws on this rep, but no one seems to have taken the time to list them.

The only one I see that has not yet been mentioned is the deployant. The buttons to open the deployant are nicely blued on the gen, while they remain SS on the rep.

Someone mentioned that the metal parts of the strap are Ti on the gen, but SS on the rep. That is unfortunate.

Although people keep saying the seconds subdial is "too low" on the rep, I do not think that is correct. The subdial and the seconds hand both appear to be in exactly the correct place. What is too low is the DATE WINDOW. If you look carefully at the rep dial, the seconds subdial is in the right place, but the date window is so low that it actually breaks into the bottom of the subdial. The lowered date window also forces the rep to use a smaller 6 o'clock hour marker.

Those are the only flaws I see. Am I missing something?
The blued movement which IMO would have been inexpensive to replicate. Perfect? No...Replicate? Absolutely. It's an instant tell.

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
<-MrZoSo-> said:
The blued movement which IMO would have been inexpensive to replicate. Perfect? No...Replicate? Absolutely. It's an instant tell.

I forgot to mention that one. But, I've always drawn the line at the backside of watches. Who's really going to see it?

Besides, the rep uses a completely different movement anyway. If it had a Sea-Gull 2982 with a module just like the gen, the failure to plate it blue would bother me a lot more.

Personally, I'm bothered more by the failure to plate the buttons on the deployant than just about anything else.

Gavilan

Horology Curious
15/2/07
I am wearing mine now. I love it.

I'm wondering why we are so critical of a watch at this price point.

I can understand picking the shit out of a watch that the dealers are selling for over $500. At that price, they should be near perfect. Case in point the AP safari. Buy that one and the dial color is wrong and as an extra gift the movement will die very soon after you get it unless you are lucky enough to have someone who can service it for you.

But this is a stunning watch, what other rep at $150 has real AR, not the horrible blue tint line on the PO and the Chopard GT working PR seconds at 6 that runs!!!!

I have other 21J asian movements, and they do feel cheap when you pull the stem out, but this feels pretty good when you set the date and the time. It has a real quality about it.

I understand that we were hoping for a Super Rep.

Personally, well done Hont. You have done an amazing job, in my opinion, it is one of the best bang for your buck watches in a very long time.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
Gavilan said:
I am wearing mine now. I love it.

I'm wondering why we are so critical of a watch at this price point.

I can understand picking the s**t out of a watch that the dealers are selling for over $500. At that price, they should be near perfect. Case in point the AP safari. Buy that one and the dial color is wrong and as an extra gift the movement will die very soon after you get it unless you are lucky enough to have someone who can service it for you.

But this is a stunning watch, what other rep at $150 has real AR, not the horrible blue tint line on the PO and the Chopard GT working PR seconds at 6 that runs!!!!

I have other 21J asian movements, and they do feel cheap when you pull the stem out, but this feels pretty good when you set the date and the time. It has a real quality about it.

I understand that we were hoping for a Super Rep.

Personally, well done Hont. You have done an amazing job, in my opinion, it is one of the best bang for your buck watches in a very long time.

Well said!
You put it so much better in words than me..

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
That's what I was hoping to hear, Gavilan! I'm sure it will be worth my $175!

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Yep...What I wanted to hear also. I am very excited about this watch do not misunderstand. I can live with flaws...It's a rep after all.

zenmaster

Known Member
21/8/09
this is indeed a very nice replica

question: how does this compare to maxi marine diver chronograph?

i'm trying to decide between the two... but they just both seem so nice!

Migge

Renowned Member
15/1/09
zenmaster said:
this is indeed a very nice replica

question: how does this compare to maxi marine diver chronograph?

i'm trying to decide between the two... but they just both seem so nice!

This I would know also!

But keep in mind the price difference is huge, if similar quality and finish you cant go wrong with the Blue Surf :D

cheers
mike

zenmaster

Known Member
21/8/09
Migge said:
This I would know also!

But keep in mind the price difference is huge, if similar quality and finish you cant go wrong with the Blue Surf :D

cheers
mike

Blue Surt is USD175?
How much is the MM Chronograph?

Migge

Renowned Member
15/1/09
zenmaster said:
Migge said:
This I would know also!

cheers
mike

Blue Surt is USD175?
How much is the MM Chronograph?

Who quoted you USD 175?

The MMD Chrono is a bit over 300 USD.

Cheers
Mike

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
the cartel is selling at 178 + 35 shipping= 213

hont is 150+25 shipping =175

go figure

Migge

Renowned Member
15/1/09
alvinado said:
the cartel is selling at 178 + 35 shipping= 213

hont is 150+25 shipping =175

go figure

Yes, alvi I know. :D

JUst thought he got quoted a price of 175 without shipping, just to let him know

to get this watch from El Honto :D

Cheers
Mike

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
I can see this is now in black - I think I'll for that and then...

I can save the blue for...

the Phantom Blue Freak from Ulysse Nardin

haha!

Wat$$