• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Ulysse Nardin Blue Surf from HONT!!!

Lezzare

Supporter
Certified
29/1/09
SG
This is my first attempt in reviewing a watch and i'm actually taking the trouble because it is one sweet looking watch :D

A little history:

The Ulysse Nardin Blue Surf watch offers timepiece enthusiasts a limited edition Maxi Marine Diver that celebrates the spirit of the ocean waves, a territory well known by Ulysse Nardin, since ships aided by their precise chronometers were able to make their difficult journeys in greater safety. The Ulysse Nardin Blue Surf watch is presented in stainless steel or 18K rose gold, its impressive 42.7mm case displaying fine craftsmanship and intricate detail, including an elaborate caseback which is secured to the case with individual screws.

Water resistant to 200 meters, the Blue Surf watch makes an ideal companion for any water related activity, and its unique and striking appearance ensures that it stands apart from the crowd. Ulysse Nardin is well known for its spectacular dials, and also its use of the color blue in marking the introduction of special timepieces. For the Blue Surf watch, Ulysse Nardin has produced a special dial with a unique three-dimensional wave motif, which has been given a unique galvanized finish for an exceptional lustre and play of light.

Gen vs Hont's (Pardon my camera skills)

3836105825_e368aa030e_o.jpg
3836890918_2b012feb5f.jpg

At the price I paid, I think that this is a very well replicated watch. The quality certainly exceeds the price. If you want to compare accuracy, the biggest flaw I spotted was that the seconds @ 6 dial is significantly lower as compared to the gen. Also, the waves on the bezel is not as wavy as compared to the gen. The buckle clasp is not the smoothest but it does its job. Adjusting the strap is similar to Porsche Design, it requires cutting. About the metal piece cutting into the strap, my strap had some signs of cutting but I think its because the strap has been over straightened. The lume is very standard, hardly glows and only for a very short period of time. The lume pic I took below is photoshoped, it does not look that good in real conditions. In conclusion, this watch is not flawless, but as we all know, there is no 1:1. At a tiny fraction of the gen price, this watch is amazing. I would like to say that I am in love with Ulysse Nardin and this watch and I hope Hont would buy more Gen UN watches to replicate.

3836890926_418cd5f54d.jpg

3836890938_227ec33100.jpg

3836890950_f76ddba0b3.jpg

3836890954_93cc6655b4.jpg

3836890962_67d50056e2.jpg

3836896192_04d19dc56c.jpg

Migge

Renowned Member
15/1/09
That is just fantastic!

So the lume isnt that good, huh?

Some dealers (Not hont) advertise it as having really good lume.

Congrats on the watch, its beautifull as can be!!

Cheers
Mike

Oh, you forgott the obligatory wristshot :wink:

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Great writeup. I'm really glad to see that, after many years of nothing but $20 crap reps, UN is finally getting its due in the rep world. Now if they would only do a decent Maxi Marine with Roman Numerals....

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Thanks for doing this.

The strap seems to be a subtle, gray-blue shade in your pics. Is my description of the strap color a fair one? I was concerned that the strap would be blueberry-blue!

Migge

Renowned Member
15/1/09
seanf said:
Great writeup. I'm really glad to see that, after many years of nothing but $20 crap reps, UN is finally getting its due in the rep world. Now if they would only do a decent Maxi Marine with Roman Numerals....

+1 on that!

Stunning pieces, that can be had on a leather strap!

Lezzare

Supporter
Certified
29/1/09
SG
Migge said:
That is just fantastic!

Cheers
Mike

The lume is standard rep stuff..nothing special

Its too late now for a wristshot, will do one in the morning outdoors

Migge

Renowned Member
15/1/09
Lezzare said:
Migge said:
That is just fantastic!

Cheers
Mike

The lume is standard rep stuff..nothing special

Its too late now for a wristshot, will do one in the morning outdoors

Haha, just joking with you.

How is the AR on this piece btw?

Regards
Mike

coop

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
Flippin sweet!

What was the price tag on this beauty?

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Thx for this very awaited first review :D

With the Maxi Mariner I've become a fan of the U.N. design.

That Blue Surf exactly matches what I expected, i.e. a slightly simpler yet still original design (hate it or love it).
Besides a blue watch misses in my collection.

What refrains me for now is that I wish to know about the RG serial number plate. In the user's manual I posted the other day, I understood the gen "could" be silver colour, although some member confirmed he saw the gen and it was RG. So I'm a bit intrigued. Not a big issue actually, the watch is very credible. But aesthetically I would prefer it silver :oops:

I'd love to compare the quality of this case and strap with the Maxi Mariner version.

Regarding the placement of the date and cyclop. The chrono version suffers of the same problem. That's because we have an other movement in the rep...

So, is the lume really blue on the hands (as it appears on Hont's pics) or just an other shade of green ?

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
nice review, at the moment I am not a UN fan, but it could happen fast

Lezzare

Supporter
Certified
29/1/09
SG
Pix said:
Thx for this very awaited first review :D

So, is the lume really blue on the hands (as it appears on Hont's pics) or just an other shade of green ?

The AR is actually quite good. As for the lume, the hands are just slightly bluer. I charged the watch under spotlight for 1min and the lume still came out dull.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
That watch seriously grows one me ;)
The clasp looks engraved, that's also a sign of good treatment in the replication.

LedZeppelin

Looking Around
19/8/09
Thx for the review.
Nice watch. Very cool to wear with aloha style. limited edition isnt my fav variation, hope they will make a regular version soon. like the price too.
I m not sure but i saw the similar models (gens) with solid caseback , SS bracelet. Waiting for more versions :shock:

gasdoc

Certified
26/11/06
My collegue has the Blue Surf - definately has the sapphire caseback, blue movement...now I am wondering though if the serial number plate is in fact gold or not. It might be another UN he has that I am thinking of...he also has the AQUA, which is an AMAZING watch.

Either way, I assume the plate isn't solid gold, so it should be easy to "make it" silver.

Thanks for the review!

Is the bracelet made of titanium, I thought the gen rubber was titanium and rubber? That may be another model too.

Anyone know if the bracelet from the chrono will fit?

cheers

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I like the UN models. I had a chance to buy one at half price when Shapur-Mozaffarian moved their boutique out of the hotel at Union Square and I'm still kicking myself for it. I really like your Blue Surf, thanks for the review.

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Great review thank you! I have one in transit to me from Hont also...
I am disappointed that they had the gen to work with and still missed so many details that should have been easy to do, and also not to expensive. Then again, we are dealing with people who would leave out a one cent screw to save money.

aganthorp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/6/09
You have made me want one of these and I have never even looked twice at a UN. Nice watch.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
You did not mention the power reserve.... how's that working for you?

This movement held up the release of this watch many many months as we waited for it to be replicated so it could have a functioning power reserve.

I cant wait to review this watch.

Fantastic write up!

Lezzare

Supporter
Certified
29/1/09
SG
gasdoc said:
Is the bracelet made of titanium, I thought the gen rubber was titanium and rubber? That may be another model too.

cheers

Buckle has laser etching "Titanium" but its steel material.

daytona4me said:
You did not mention the power reserve.... how's that working for you?

My estimation is that a quarter of the power reserve meter lasts about 10hours. Hence a full cycle is about 40hours.