• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Rolex 6542 Project

idinwo01

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/11
What factory makes this nail polish, and what version?
[emoji1] jokes

Looks pretty dang rad though.

What TD carries the base watch?

JAFO

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/13
What factory makes this nail polish, and what version?
[emoji1] jokes

Looks pretty dang rad though.

What TD carries the base watch?

I used Wangdoodle Factory Grape polish V6.9. It's kinda rare but I can sell you a bottle for 100 American dollars!!

I picked this one up from Lucy - Truetime168. She should be able to get plenty of them since you don't see a lot of guys buying them. I say go for it!

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
holy crap JAFO, all you need is the Pan Am engraved caseback and you got one of the best modded pieces in RWI

JAFO

16/10/13
holy crap JAFO, all you need is the Pan Am engraved caseback and you got one of the best modded pieces in RWI

Thanks brother! I can't wait to get the case back engraved!

idinwo01

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/11
What do you think would happen if the insert were dropped in a dilute bleach solution (much like the common vintage treatment for metal inserts)?

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Another option is JoeyB over on RWG makes custom inserts for the 6542 with lumed numbers. He will age the insert and numbers for you when it is produced. Even gen owners over on the vintage Rolex forums buy from him.

idinwo01

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/11
Another option is JoeyB over on RWG makes custom inserts for the 6542 with lumed numbers. He will age the insert and numbers for you when it is produced. Even gen owners over on the vintage Rolex forums buy from him.

Do the original bakelight inserts have lined numbers?

Deeje

Renowned Member
28/3/14
Lol. You were working on a new watch. Heck I never heard you mention it more that 77 times. Lol.

But that insert looks freaking awesome now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAFO

16/10/13
What do you think would happen if the insert were dropped in a dilute bleach solution (much like the common vintage treatment for metal inserts)?

It would probably strip every bit of paint off faster than you could say Oh shit!! Lol

Best to try to use some fingernail polish or the equivalent - just a little bit at a time.

JAFO

16/10/13

Exactly. I wonder if he can make them to fit different size bezels?

JAFO

16/10/13
Do the original bakelight inserts have lined numbers?

They did. The originals were lumed with radium.

If I had stripped all the paint off, I would have mixed up some yellow to get the right shade, filled in the numbers then repainted the back side dark red and dark blue. I'd still do the next steps: scuff the back with a scotchbrite and then remove some of the paint and then paint over it with the dark purple polish. The gens - most of them - do have that blackened/bleed over look to them at this point. And if you wanted to go really gnarly you could put a coat of varnish on the top side and then kinda haphazardly chip some of it off. But since the rest of my watch isn't aged to that level I'm just gonna keep the top side like it is, sanded over just to make it more dull looking.

Rolexxx

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
5/3/15
Spot on great eye for detail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAFO

16/10/13
Thanks guys!

Update: My modder says he may have to machine a new retaining ring for this one. Like I said, the retaining ring is a really bad design on this one and the factory actually had it glued to the case top! No biggie though - Kev can fix and/or make anything and it'll be better than new before long. But if you decide to pick one of these up - make sure you verify with the dealer that the retaining ring isn't glued down. Otherwise you'll twist that bezel one day and it will jump right off in your hands lol.

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
My 1675 says hello and yes I am now going to read the picture taking tutorials all you guys kill me with your awesome pictures, Do you all live in lint free clean rooms??

_MG_2323.jpg

JAFO

16/10/13
Sweet!! I love your 1675! I have that same GMT hand for my1675. It's the next upgrade for it.