• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Rolex 6542 Project

JAFO

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/13
Ok, the watch that got me into watches was the Rolex 1675. I've got a nice one, modded all to hell by Ko67, relumed by Cwazy, great piece and I love it. But....ever since I got it I had been wanting the watch that started it all - the 6542. Now, you can build your own and get say a Yuki case and bezel group, etc. But I wanted to keep this one on a budget so I decided to start with a decent 6542 base watch. Now, there's one factory making these watches and supposedly they come with a Swiss 2824 movement. Yeah, not really. It's a confirmed Asian 2836. But at least you don't have to pay extra for the "swiss" movement that's not in there.

The watch is pretty nice right out of the box. Yes, the rehaut is wrong, but I can live with it. The insert is acrylic and it's painted on the back side, as you'd imagine. No, the numbers on the insert aren't lumed. And the insert is really bright blue and red. It does have the cool "floating numbers" effect since it's clear acrylic. But it just looks too new. The dial is good but the hands - again - are just too new looking. And the hands are silver, which is correct. The case is fine but the bracelet kinda sucks. It's really well made but it's got springs in the links that allow it to stretch. So it's pretty damn stiff. Anyways, here it is, as I got it a month or so ago.

703B4CC3-E5F7-4E03-92F7-B4D40B22860C_zpsyfvdmakt.jpg

4ACFDD9C-DA92-4E06-997C-BDEB9D382BC7_zpscyx9mm3o.jpg

49B687A0-3F4D-419C-9088-DF4C8ABDE50C_zpsvqctcpoj.jpg

Now, the dial is printed in gold. So I figured it needed gold hands, plus the GMT hand sucks. So I contacted Daz and commissioned him to source me a set of gold plated hands and I asked him to lightly age them. I'm not going for the "abandoned in the jungle" look here, just a light aging. Daz came through and a week later I had my new/old hands. So off to my modder Kevin it went. Now, Kevin worked a bit on the insert to make it look a bit older. He also reworked the lume on the dial indices so they'd look more aged too. Then he installed the hands and this is how it looked when I got it back. Pretty damn good I think.

CD118172-E04B-4FFE-B402-CF411065A88F_zps3bultqz3.jpg

Well, today I was sitting here in my home office and noticed the bezel was turned a bit and I went to realign it and the bezel and the retaining ring came off as a unit. I'll get more into that later. But since I had it apart...I figured it was time to give a shot at doing something to the insert to try to age it up some. Now, I didn't want to strip all the paint off the back because I was concerned about getting the line between the blue and red just right. So what I did was lightly scuff the back with a green scotchbrite pad. Then I got my daughter's nail polish remover - Acetone babayyy!!!! - and I lightly removed some of the paint off the back. If you scuff it up first it will make the paint come off in a haphazard/random/really ugly way. Which is what I was going for.

Now, I figured since I didn't to strip all the paint off I'd just paint over the back side with black nail polish. So I asked my daughter to take a look at my insert and see how she thought that would coat it (She's 14 so you can imagine just how thrilled she was to be listening to another one of my "look at this watch" stories. Not). And she said "Don't use black. I've got a dark purple that is almost black but it's not totally opaque. Try that." So I did. And this is what the first coat turned out like:

BCF5F701-D0F4-456E-A326-8BDEFA2E7CAA_zpsdotmxrwu.jpg

Not too bad, huh? When I flipped it over to look at it I flipped out cause I thought it looked awesome! So I let it dry and slapped on another coat.

F627C55D-3701-4918-B6F8-BBB8E7C36CD0_zpsctromrsd.jpg

4545A146-8D72-4116-9432-1215AD431DFF_zpstzgfapxt.jpg

B511DB78-BFE8-4CB3-A826-A3AA2C8A0750_zps9jaeya8k.jpg

So I let that dry and holy crap did she have a great idea or what?!!! Doing just those couple of steps gave this insert an almost translucent bowling ball effect. Unfortunately it didn't do much to darken up the numbers but I tried. And here's what it looks like on the watch:

F9AD14E2-008C-4608-BCAE-2A1DB356D220_zpsuyfdynxh.jpg

95D78026-EFD4-4336-9657-5F015D431892_zpskk63lulj.jpg

Not too bad, huh??

I forgot to mention what happened with the bezel. Ok, so the damn thing came off, retaining ring and all. So I'm looking at it and I see that there's some kind of glue all over the top of the case. The retaining ring isn't exactly a tight fit on the plexi. You can pull it off with barely any pressure from your fingernail. The bitch of it is that I can't just snap it back on because the damn thing don't snap on or press fit on. So I'm gonna have to send it back to Kevin to work his Jedi voodoo and then it'll be done. So if you get one of these 6542 base watches - be sure before you mod it all to hell to check and see if the retaining ring is glued on.

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
its too bad... its bad ass... alright bad pun...

looks awesome JAFO, wear in good health my friend

JAFO

16/10/13
its too bad... its bad ass... alright bad pun...

looks awesome JAFO, wear in good health my friend

Thanks brother! I appreciate that! It's by far my favorite watch, even beyond my modded up 1675. It's just a really cool/not too common piece.

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
Wicked,,,,you just don't see these very often. Not at all. This is the watch that started the Rolex GMT gig. This one for the pilots anyway. I am thinking the EPX1 was first. Hell I dunno

Great job GGB...great job.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Oh my, that looks like it came of a 'time machine' from a lost airline pilot in the 'Twilight Zone' !! Great !! Wow !! Amazing watch !! ......... ROLEX !!

JAFO

16/10/13
This was the look I was going for on the insert. Obviously it didn't turn out this good. But it's a lot closer than I thought I could get it.

21AE53FB-30D3-46FC-8AE9-D26E82E48B81_zpsmdq8urfx.jpg

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
Jafo... that is totally gorgeous.... right up my street... congratulations matey.

Ubpfc

Renowned Member
2/5/14
United States
Gorgeous piece. I love these aged look reps.
It never ceases to amaze me the skill that you guys have modding these watches. Props to your daughter also.

JAFO

16/10/13
Gorgeous piece. I love these aged look reps.
It never ceases to amaze me the skill that you guys have modding these watches. Props to your daughter also.

Thanks man! But honestly, I was just kinda wingin' it on this one. With the insert, I figured there was a 50/50 chance of absolute disaster but luckily it turned out ok lol. Now, if I could just figure out how to reinsert the stem in a 21j without jacking the keyless I would be on to something....

JAFO

16/10/13
Thanks guys! Some of you should build one of these or mod up the base watch. Theyre not all that common.

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
I would love a 6542. That and a 1675 deserve places in my watchbox. :)