• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Microbrands are breathing new life into watchmaking.

Kcnminus

GS fanboy
1/11/17
Emmmmm micro brand .... you might want to read up. Lets start back in 1881 ...

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/special/heritage

And the Seiko you posted is a re-issue of the 62mas ... an icon comparable to the sub.

0c05e94d4cfaccef4c6567e0f91e6447.jpg

AND Grand Seiko fit and dinish makes Rolex look like a Timex. So there is that.
I did put a disclaimer in my original post about the SPB143 below the image, as well as the influence of the 62MAS on that model, lol. The honorable mention was just to bring it back to the topic of gens under $1k.

But yes, as an owner of a GS, I love mine and wear it often. :)

Kcnminus

GS fanboy
1/11/17
Baltic's newest watches.... :love:

I love those too, but my only qualm about it is that it costs about the same as a pimped out Kilo/Yodog 6263. Decisions, decisions...

MattSP

Known Member
8/1/22
UK
Yessss..... sorely, sorely tempted to prorder a reverse panda but funding for me is stretched at present.
It would cause too many lasing sulks in the SP household 😆

Kcnminus

GS fanboy
1/11/17
How did I miss this thread?!
Microbrand lover here, too. All mentioned are great. In a hurry right now, just to mention a couple you should look at: Vapaus and Aevig (handwound) and straum. See ya!
Will make sure to take a look and report back!

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Here we go guys, a couple of micros from my collection.
A Baltic titanium, an HTD skin diver, love the dial design but the bracelet is a bit rattly tbh. An Aevig Thor, handwound, with a beautiful linen-texture dial and the Vapaus Veli, also handwound, love the slate dial and the syringe hands.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
And an oddball, doubt anybody heard about this, the Peren Nera Rogue X

crashworkz

Gentleman
Certified
14/11/22
EU
I'm really happy that I stumbled across this thread. Some great inspiration and nice to see something a bit different from the big players. Brew was really cool. Love the retro look of the Metric, and it made me go into a rabbit hole of 80's style accessories. :ROFLMAO:

Work Working GIF

Reactions: Kcnminus and Feefo

Kcnminus

GS fanboy
1/11/17
A Baltic titanium, an HTD skin diver, love the dial design but the bracelet is a bit rattly tbh. An Aevig Thor, handwound, with a beautiful linen-texture dial and the Vapaus Veli, also handwound, love the slate dial and the syringe hands.
I love your micro collection! I might be eyeing an Aevig in the future.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
I love your micro collection! I might be eyeing an Aevig in the future.
Thanks! I just couldn't stop buying the last year, so many beautiful pieces. If it wasn't for fees and taxes I'd bought a couple us micros as well. But then, there's so much variety in the EU that I say to myself, stick to locals.
If it's the textured dial you like (seeing you're a GS lover) have a look at straum and anOrdain... (anOrdain actually UK, but I got friends that can take the watches with them..;)

crashworkz

Gentleman
Certified
14/11/22
EU
I love the Vapaus Veli. Such a clean look, and the crystal is smoooth! :love:

Kcnminus

GS fanboy
1/11/17
Thanks! I just couldn't stop buying the last year, so many beautiful pieces. If it wasn't for fees and taxes I'd bought a couple us micros as well. But then, there's so much variety in the EU that I say to myself, stick to locals.
If it's the textured dial you like (seeing you're a GS lover) have a look at straum and anOrdain... (anOrdain actually UK, but I got friends that can take the watches with them..;)
I actually got a chance to see AnOrdain's dials up close both inside the watch and on its own. The enameling is INSANE and they could easily ask much more than their retail price. I'd love to get one of those myself as well. :D

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU

What do y'all think of the recent Yema Kickstarter? Outside of the balance wheel and hairspring, the movement is entirely in house and made in France.

Tbh the design is a mishmash between AP, PP and VC overseas. I don't doubt they're well made, but I just have the feeling they are riding the integrated bracelet hype...

Reactions: Onepickledginger

Onepickledginger

Gone Gin
Patron
Certified
9/8/20
Tbh the design is a mishmash between AP, PP and VC overseas. I don't doubt they're well made, but I just have the feeling they are riding the integrated bracelet hype

100% agree. I was very close to pulling the trigger on one, but the design just didn't speak to me. On paper though, the specs seem just about perfect.

Reactions: Feefo

Frank_NRW

24/2/22
France / Germany
Not a watch for me but I admire manufacturers who dare to be different. They have just failed to push the concept far enough. The steel strap is old fashioned. But at least no nasty lugs…The Bell & Ross BR-X5 is the 2023 version of this 1990 concept…

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
I have nothing against a hype per se as long as the design approach is clear or original. I mean, so many of today's microbrands owe their fortune on the reinterpretation of the vintage diver, for instance. I have more of a problem when things are merely copied without so much of a thought on the overall design of all features together. But I do appreciate trying to go new or bold ways, although this sometimes can produce most ridiculous results.

Reactions: Onepickledginger

Frank_NRW

24/2/22
France / Germany
MAT mil spec.
Serious piece of kit.
I am surprised that microbrands don’t seem to concentrate on bespoke watches. Are you aware of any microbrands offering custom watches ?

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
What's funny is the people who will claim these microbrands are a waste of money because "they are using an ETA movment and not an in house creation" when so many of the mid-luxury $3k - $10k watches are doing the same thing.

I have missed this creation by HELM watches each time it came back into stock. They have a great lineup of watches that I think is a great deal for the price.