• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Maybe, baby...

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Audra's 8 weeks along now. I got a fetal doppler (thanks to a generous friend here on the forum), and hopefully we'll be hearing the heartbeat with it soon. Audra met with the midwife the other day. I guess we'll be doing the homebirth thing.
Anyway, hope you guys are doing well. Will, Kurt, Robb, Roger, and all the rest of you guys, I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
8 weeks!! That's awesome!
I'm sure your Thanksgiving was at least as great as anything the rest of us enjoyed.
God bless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Maybe a home birth won't be as easy as we thought. No doctors in the area are willing to be a back up in case of emergency. That's really shitty that they're trying to blackmail people into having a hospital birth, when home births are proven safer, with lower rates of fetal mortality, ADD/ADHD, and other preventable disabilities.
Most of my friends overseas had home births/birthing center births. America is too money hungry, and it's starting to be detrimental to the health of the people.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
But the reason for healthier births at home is NOT due to birthing at home, it is because most who choose this option tend to be more conscientious in their pregancies and pre-natal health choices.

However frustrating it may be, if something DOES go wrong in delivery, wouldn't you want the best technology and experienced experts immediately available vs. waiting for an ambulance and transport, etc? After all, we are talking about the health of your wife and child here.

Find a local hospital with a nice home-like birthing center and call it a happy compromise.

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
I understand, and yes, I do want the option of a hospital if things go wrong (we live a few blocks from the hospital, that wouldn't be an issue if things went wrong). The problem is that at the hospital the women are treated like cars in for an oil change. They induce EVERY woman who's there for more than 10 hours, they give epidurals to more than 50% of them (phrasing it more like it's a necessity than a request), and they have a 15% c-section rate. That's RIDICULOUS. Less than 1-2% of births require c-section. They just do them to herd the women through like cattle. I understand a hospital is a business, but it's nuts.
My wife and I are very informed, and intelligent individuals. We already have a midwife who's preformed over 1000 births. She just moved to the area, so she hasn't found a doctor willing to back her up yet.
The doctor groups around here actually refuse to care for a woman if she chooses to do a home birth, even after she's had the child, stating "ignoring doctor's advice". Is that not blatantly contradictory to the Hippocratic oath?
Sorry for rambling on, but my wife is upset, and it makes me irate. I'm thinking of writing the paper.

BTW, there are no birthing centers within 200 miles of us. If there were, there wouldn't be an issue. :\

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Good Lord! Is that a County hospital or something??
Because I can assure you the cattle mentality is not what we see in our area hospitals (and we have many) - both from personal experience and what I've seen and heard from numerous friends over the past decade of child births.

I'd suggest moving down here to the Dallas area where living expenses are low, the economy is good, and hospitals care for expectant mothers. THEN have the baby!
Problem solved. :)

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
I imagine liability and lawyers play more of a role than the actual Health Care System B.

As for the "processing" of mothers giving birth, I wonder if its reflective of the hospital's resources as well as the families???

Sucks...

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
That's fantastic news, congrats! :thumbsup:

Hope you can find a solution about the home birth.

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Good Lord! Is that a County hospital or something??
Because I can assure you the cattle mentality is not what we see in our area hospitals (and we have many) - both from personal experience and what I've seen and heard from numerous friends over the past decade of child births.

I'd suggest moving down here to the Dallas area where living expenses are low, the economy is good, and hospitals care for expectant mothers. THEN have the baby!
Problem solved. :)

They're both privately owned hospitals. I have a few friends that were happy with their birth experience, but I've had one friend die from an inverted epidural, a few with children with autism related to the birth process, and several other issues. I have more friends from germany that had home/birth center births with no issues whatsoever.

It's just frustrating.

I'd love to move down to Texas, that's where my wife would love to move back to, and i'd love the weather for work.

Good points, all, G. Just sucks that it's left her in this situation and I can't help her out of.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Gotta' accentuate the positive my friend.

You and Audra are going to have the family you've desired. Don't let the "details" deter you. I'm fairly certain you will make this happen to everyones satisfaction, but primarily it's about Audra, you and the wee Ralston. This after what seemed like the entire world was trying to dismantle your plans.

This is such great news; hate to hear this distracting you from your earlier excitement.

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Don't get me wrong, I'm enthralled. The negativity and aggravation is being channeled through Audra, into me. The whole situation has her so upset, and there's not a whole lot I can do about it but bitch. lol

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
How the hell did I miss this?????
Mate! Congrats on the soon to be little one and commiserations on the home birth thing. yes those docs who refuse to help are in contravention of their oath. One would think that would leave them open to action if anything went wrong as a result of a refusal to attend.

We are fortunate here to have a great birthing centre at the public hospital in Brisbane: http://www.health.qld.gov.au/rbwh/services/maternity-q2.asp Check out the pic of the birthing centre room down the page a bit. that is the sort of service you get with a good public healthcare system, it's free! Well, I think for the birthing centre option you pay about 200 bucks for the room but that's it.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Don't get me wrong, I'm enthralled. The negativity and aggravation is being channeled through Audra, into me. The whole situation has her so upset, and there's not a whole lot I can do about it but bitch. lol

Understood. Audra's is doing all the work after all. ; )

If Mama ain't happy, NO ONE is happy.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Thanks, Col.
You all are so lucky. Audra would probably LITERALLY kill for something like that around here. I just hope we can find a happy compromise, because I really want for her to have the birth she wants, with the safety net she needs.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Sh*t, it just occurred to me that with all the recent health issues the baby's health would be priority 1. Hope I didn't appear insensitive to that B.

I would agree that health care should be reformed in the US, but I'm not crazy about the current direction here and we aren't discussing politics at the moment. Just want you and Audra to have the happiness you deserve.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Screw Texas - I'm moving to Brisbane!!
What's my life savings of $4,973.19 USD worth down under, Col?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
At today's rate: AUD4,842.92
Tomorrow, who knows.

Mind you the average wage here is $64,641 PA, health care will cost you 2% of that paid in your PAYG tax. Superannuation is paid by your employer as is work cover (work related accident insurance) and we have a lot more available tax deductions than you guys. eg: all work related expenses, even the laundry costs for work clothes, tools of trade etc. A baby bonus of $5294 paid over 26 weeks after birth, first home buyers scheme pays aprox 18k towards the purchase of your first home, several k towards the cost of solar power and hot water, etc, etc.

All extra super payments above the required amount (see above) are tax deductible as is any private health cover you may wish to take out as are costs associated with an investment property. The list goes on but that should begin to make you jealous :)

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Found the baby's heartbeat on the handheld fetal doppler we got. As scared as Audra was about her ability to conceive, and the possibility of miscarriage, she got me scared too. It's nice to have a little reassurance from time to time. It'll be 10 weeks tomorrow. :)
click the picture to see the video. Nothing exciting to anyone but us, but I thought I'd share anyway.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
That's awesome!
Back when I had kids you had to press your ear against your wife's belly and tell everyone to "Shush!"

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
Brandon, after the 4th month, if you guys want a little reassurance, have Audra drink a COLD glass of Orange Juice with a teaspoon of sugar in it, and then lie down on her right side.

After a few minutes, it'll seem like she has Pele in her tummy. You can put your hand on her belly and just feel baby kicking away.

But it has to be cold OJ, and you gotta add sugar. ;) (It's a tasty treat - she might not want to drink it any other way after she tries it.)