• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Let's talk vintage Daytonas with TheSociety & Friends!

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The case on the EF looks like it could be better for reshaping as the lugs look a little wider. The lack of the dog-leg lever on the pushers means the pushers aren't in the correct position in the case.

Reactions: diemuse and m1994

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
The case on the EF looks like it could be better for reshaping as the lugs look a little wider. The lack of the dog-leg lever on the pushers means the pushers aren't in the correct position in the case.
Good observation my friend, the difference didn't seem that big to me at first glance, I did a comparison and the gap is very big now you see it like that... what a shame it seemed like the perfect model to use as a base, even so I think it seems better than a JKF.

galevin

Supporter
Certified
9/10/06
Isn’t the Lemania movement really just a ST19 movement misnamed “Lemania”?

Spoons

Patron
Certified
21/4/19
Good observation my friend, the difference didn't seem that big to me at first glance, I did a comparison and the gap is very big now you see it like that... what a shame it seemed like the perfect model to use as a base, even so I think it seems better than a JKF.

The issue is with the lower pusher (i.e., the lack of the L-shaped lever on the lower pusher to increase the gap between the lower pusher and the crown).

Deus Vult

This helm makes it hard to see
8/12/23
I just finished reading through this while taking notes on movments used and some of the mods required to fit them if any:

Require mods
- ST19 / V75 - 6:00 subdial mod
- A-7750 - All subdials should work but needs de-automating to slim down and if done right will increase reliability. Sick write up on this here
- ETA 7753 - Same issues as 7750 obv but should be WAY more reliable than the A-7750.
- V23 - Old mvmt from the 40s-50s - 6:00 subdial mod

Gen or Gen Like
- V727 - Gen (6262), 21,600 BPH
- V726
- V72/V722 - Gen (6239), 18,000 BPH
- V730 - Day date @12 variant of the v72 family

Question:
- Do the viet dials fit 7750 type movements without mods?

If the daytona vets have any movements to add or info to correct here that would awesome.

Reactions: diemuse

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
Wow sr, such a fantastic collection you have (one of the best I have seen here)

I also have a “FAP” how did you manage to engrave the back?

KPl4Js.jpeg

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
I also have a “FAP” how did you manage to engrave the back?
Forgot to answer your question. jmb did this for me using his CNC rig. He also heavily modified the original DW case: thinner mid-case, shorter lugs, etc. Unfortunately, that case had some pretty big problems with its interior dimensions, so it has since been swapped for a standard DW 6239.

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
Forgot to answer your question. jmb did this for me using his CNC rig. He also heavily modified the original DW case: thinner mid-case, shorter lugs, etc. Unfortunately, that case had some pretty big problems with its interior dimensions, so it has since been swapped for a standard DW 6239.
Well he did a fantastic job, and the standard DW it´s great so not bad at all.

Thewatchwolf

Renowned Member
1/3/15
CONUS
Hello everyone,

Looking for some guidance/help. I have commissioned a 6263 big red black build with the ST19 movement from Kilo (who has been nothing but awesome and super helpful with all of my annoying questions ) as a tribute to my grandpa who owned the same watch nearly 40 years ago. My goal is to go as gen spec as possible with the JKF base without having to spend a small fortune on a V72 movement. I am pleased with the parts list thus far but I am stuck when it comes to the pushers. I wanted to go with the longer set of pushers that are more gen like instead of the stock JKF ones. I am aware this takes some work and modifications to the case to make sure they fit and work with the movement. As Kilo doesn’t perform this mod, I was quoted a steep price by someone else to do this modification as it is not something they typically do any longer and it takes up a lot of their time, which is very understandable. My question is does anyone know of any other modders who would be able to perform this modification, preferably in the US or someone who will ship to the US? Worst case scenario I will be having it done by the person whom I received the original quote from (who has also been as extremely helpful and awesome as Kilo)

Thank you all in advance for your help!

galevin

Supporter
Certified
9/10/06
Well Yodog should be able to do this and is in the US but guessing he’s the one you are referring to that can do the job but is a little pricey.

Thewatchwolf

Renowned Member
1/3/15
CONUS
Well Yodog should be able to do this and is in the US but guessing he’s the one you are referring to that can do the job but is a little pricey.
I did not know Yodog did this I just assumed he only made his 6263s as is. I was originally going to purchase one from him as his are great. I was just drawn to the way Kilo ages his models and makes them look like they have been worn and wound forever. Truly works of art IMO.

scott223905

Horology Curious
1/12/20
Hi guys,

For a ST19 build, would a 702 athaya crown and tube be a straight swap? I sent the watch to watchsmith and he said the athaya crown wouldn't fit because it's a completely different construction to the original JKF crown.

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
Hello everyone,

Looking for some guidance/help. I have commissioned a 6263 big red black build with the ST19 movement from Kilo (who has been nothing but awesome and super helpful with all of my annoying questions ) as a tribute to my grandpa who owned the same watch nearly 40 years ago. My goal is to go as gen spec as possible with the JKF base without having to spend a small fortune on a V72 movement. I am pleased with the parts list thus far but I am stuck when it comes to the pushers. I wanted to go with the longer set of pushers that are more gen like instead of the stock JKF ones. I am aware this takes some work and modifications to the case to make sure they fit and work with the movement. As Kilo doesn’t perform this mod, I was quoted a steep price by someone else to do this modification as it is not something they typically do any longer and it takes up a lot of their time, which is very understandable. My question is does anyone know of any other modders who would be able to perform this modification, preferably in the US or someone who will ship to the US? Worst case scenario I will be having it done by the person whom I received the original quote from (who has also been as extremely helpful and awesome as Kilo)

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Hello,

This is a great thread about it:

I looked everywhere for someone who could do the job and I couldn't find anyone. I even thought about doing it myself, but I didn't want to ruin the watch. So reading this tread and understanding the logic of the process, I took the watch and the necessary tools to a good jeweler, they do all kinds of meticulous work, so I assumed it would be an easy task, and it was.

Reactions: diemuse