• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin Moon (Moonphase) Gen Vs Rep (Note: Pics Heavy!)

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
It's only a "night and day", the kind of indication usefull if you live beyond the polar circle, in the International Space Station or if you are shut in a cave for months to perfom one of these scientific experiments which were popular decades ago. Normal people get this information through the window, but you can find it on fashion watches full of subdials. JlC would hardly sell such a cheap complication, marely a division by 2.

or if you live in a top secret military installation 1000 ft below the ground in Adak Alaska

Reactions: C Master

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Would'nt they use red lighting at night like they do in military submarines ?

i am not at liberty to discuss that with you , i can neither confirm nor deny that statement

Saby

Renowned Member
24/12/15
So basically moonphase is pretty bad. First moonphase subdial is nothing like the gen. Then the crescent shape moon???? LOL...
There should be 2 full round moons on the subdial, one opposite to another. And the big half-round shapes on this subdial, they are supposed to show the lunar eclipse, progressing day by day from one fortnight to another.
Whoever has said this complication is a joke is right. Forget about dial screw diameter or fonts, anybody, literally anybody, who has the slightest idea of what lunar phase is will laugh his head off!
This is the only reason I could never buy this watch eventhough everything else is very tempting.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
So basically moonphase is pretty bad. First moonphase subdial is nothing like the gen. Then the crescent shape moon???? LOL...
There should be 2 full round moons on the subdial, one opposite to another. And the big half-round shapes on this subdial, they are supposed to show the lunar eclipse, progressing day by day from one fortnight to another.
Whoever has said this complication is a joke is right. Forget about dial screw diameter or fonts, anybody, literally anybody, who has the slightest idea of what lunar phase is will laugh his head off!
This is the only reason I could never buy this watch eventhough everything else is very tempting.
Completely agree with you - the moon dial is not well done at all, and the lack of the 29.5 day cycle is disappointing. I'll wait until they get it right, and I have confidence we can see one. It's up to them to put the effort into it.

jasonbaylee

I'm Pretty Popular
3/2/14
Was so sexcited about tis debut. As usual im Waiting for a v2...

"There are more than 1 road to Rome...."

Vinvin7

Known Member
11/2/13
Yes. I agree it is not a working real moonphase indicator since the moon is only halfmoon with plenty of stars around it. Real moonphase indicators has two full opposite moons, so it is clearly a 24 hour indicator. Enough for me not to buy it.
In the rep game there are few real moonphase subdials. I have only identified two rep watches:
- Breguet lemania moonphase: http://puretime02.com/watch-brands/...-phase-ss-white-dial-brown-leather-strap.html
- Longines Master moonphase (both in 40&42mm case): http://puretime02.com/master-moonph...-on-ss-bracelet-a7751-free-leather-strap.html

Probably these two models are the most complicated reps around and fortunately they come in reliable movements ( Lemania & A7751). I own the Breguet and can confirm the moonphase works flawlessly. The Longines is in my wishlist. None of the many tourbillon watches have real moonphase but 24 hour indicator

Can anyone confirm if there are other watches with this complication?

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Yes. I agree it is not a working real moonphase indicator since the moon is only halfmoon with plenty of stars around it. Real moonphase indicators has two full opposite moons, so it is clearly a 24 hour indicator. Enough for me not to buy it.
In the rep game there are few real moonphase subdials. I have only identified two rep watches:
- Breguet lemania moonphase: http://puretime02.com/watch-brands/...-phase-ss-white-dial-brown-leather-strap.html
- Longines Master moonphase (both in 40&42mm case): http://puretime02.com/master-moonph...-on-ss-bracelet-a7751-free-leather-strap.html

Probably these two models are the most complicated reps around and fortunately they come in reliable movements ( Lemania & A7751). I own the Breguet and can confirm the moonphase works flawlessly. The Longines is in my wishlist. None of the many tourbillon watches have real moonphase but 24 hour indicator

Can anyone confirm if there are other watches with this complication?
The new A Lange & Sohne Saxonia Moonphase has a proper working moonphase. I'll be ordering one with my next order here in the next couple days.

ensy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/12/16
Nice comparison, I have the new updated JLC ultra thin moon V2 coming!

ensy

15/12/16
Just got my QC pics for the V2 ultra thin moon.

vpUmrH6.png

ensy

15/12/16
Hi all,

I've received my JLC Ultra thin moon v2. Here is a breakdown of some of my early thoughts:

Dimensions:

40mm case diameter
13mm thickness
21mm lug width
48mm lug to lug

Pros

Build and finish quality is very high on the case of the watch. (the strap is another story however)

The subdial is now updated and correctly reflects the Gen

Dial gives that lovely sunburst effect when in the correct sunlight.

Second hand sweep is very smooth, although the rotor is a bit noisy as with all Miyota 9015s

Manual winding of the watch is very smooth and quiet

Glass is slightly domed and wonderfully clear.

Cons

The leather strap is not that great and the steel clasp itself isn't as well built as the Gen.

No working moonphase (doesn't bother me). Althought they did update both the sun and the cresent moon to be silver in colour. This draws less attention to this subdial and therefore looks very sleek that regard.

Still 13 mm thick.

Dial is 40mm instead of the correct 39mm

Overall, I think this is a lovely piece that would suit any professional occasion. It is a true joy to look and wear. I hope you guys found this somewhat useful.

Here are some photos:

1kf76Yi.jpg

jhOs277.jpg

OuImbB1.jpg

Solitude

Supporter
13/10/16
Thanks for the update. It is a beautiful watch, very classy. Shame they did not include a proper moonohase though.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

grandur

Looking Around
MULTI ACCOUNT
9/12/16
40mm case diameter
13mm thickness

Not that I don't believe you, but does this mean that the described size of 39mm x 11mm on both puretime and intime is wrong/false?

ensy

15/12/16
Those measurements on the websites are false. The 40x13 is the true measurements from my sample.

ensy

15/12/16
Absolutely stunning in the gold with bracelet. Where did you get the box may I ask?