• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

J12 15400 - Edit: Now Available

TagHeuerFan1963

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
6/10/13
Earth
Sorry but I don't want to make bad advertise to anybody. I've paid more then the asking price like a tip because I've thought there might be some flaw imposible to detect in pictures and he will kindly inspect it for me but I was wrong, I now understand that his co-worker (not evan him) just randomly send me watched and expect me to do the QC from pictures... My bad, I will not repeat this.

At least send us a PM. I am interested to know.

easfarmers

20/11/15
At least send us a PM. I am interested to know.

Send me too I'll like to know. Anyway imho it's not about bad mouthing anyone, but really the purpose of having community is to share with one another and to help one another out, and in this case, that's highlighting the facts of this case.

Withholding useful information is simply contrary to the essence of having this community in the first place. But yeah I do get why he chose to keep his mouth shut. Too many TD apologist and suck ups that is too ready to shoot him down the moment he say something bad about their "favourite" TD.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Do you think the date looks a bit off to the right here? And the 3 o'clock marker slightly skewed up at the date end?

31bb0e25cae1eaba05b5c9c5cb52f4f2.jpg

watch-geek

24/5/15
Do you think the date looks a bit off to the right here? And the 3 o'clock marker slightly skewed up at the date end?

31bb0e25cae1eaba05b5c9c5cb52f4f2.jpg

Man, I hope you're being sarcastic! That looks pretty tight to me and not sure you can get any better unless you go Gen and even then may look worse.

rjk1

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/13
You must understand that any micrometer skew is impossible to detect in person. Maybe the date is a tad thin, but the point is most of these bugs our community stresses over are not visible, or at least difficult to see, in person. The reason most gen owners don't inspect their pieces as much as this community does, is because gen is gen. I often use reps to test drive prior to committing to a gen, and I've ended up seeing variability among the gens too.

easfarmers

20/11/15
You must understand that any micrometer skew is impossible to detect in person. Maybe the date is a tad thin, but the point is most of these bugs our community stresses over are not visible, or at least difficult to see, in person. The reason most gen owners don't inspect their pieces as much as this community does, is because gen is gen. I often use reps to test drive prior to committing to a gen, and I've ended up seeing variability among the gens too.

Haha forgive him it's the rep owner disease of insecurities and quest for perfection

Miltiades

Known Member
7/7/10
Yes, upon taking starting on this forum, I have started to notice flaws on my gens Jajajaja they are hand made after all and if you see the videos of how a dial is made there is margin for error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
And there's a famous pic of a 15400 (I think) at a big watch show with one of the bezel screws rotated so the slot was totally out of line!

Whilst the rep dial makers don't use a 150 year old burin machine they're still all hand assembled like the gens. That means the hour markers will have the same pins or similar to locate them on the dial (actually AP has a slot in the dial where the rep has two holes) and each has a tiny margin of error. Biggest difference is I'm pretty sure AP solder the hour markers whereas the reps are glued.

easfarmers

20/11/15
Lol that's a new one! I've never heard that before I wonder how good it was.

Haha it sucked. Toro gave him one with slanted hour marker. Bad luck for him.

One thing I'm curious.. Since there's holes for the applied markers to position themselves in, how then does the applied marker end up being slanted?

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Haha it sucked. Toro gave him one with slanted hour marker. Bad luck for him.

One thing I'm curious.. Since there's holes for the applied markers to position themselves in, how then does the applied marker end up being slanted?

Two reasons, one is there's a little play between the holes on the dials and the corresponding pins on the batons, and the other in some cases (my silver like this) is one pin not located at all so not only is the baton rotated but also lifted off the dial!!

easfarmers

20/11/15
Two reasons, one is there's a little play between the holes on the dials and the corresponding pins on the batons, and the other in some cases (my silver like this) is one pin not located at all so not only is the baton rotated but also lifted off the dial!!

Oh! Not located at all! That sounds terrible. That guy's slanted baton was at 3 o'clock. My guess is since 3 o'clock baton is so short, it might have been one hole for the baton to sit in only. You reckon that's possible?

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Oh! Not located at all! That sounds terrible. That guy's slanted baton was at 3 o'clock. My guess is since 3 o'clock baton is so short, it might have been one hole for the baton to sit in only. You reckon that's possible?

Could well be one pin on the 3. Yeah mine was way off but didn't take much to fix it. Didn't even spot it on my QC pics! Was the 11 marker.

easfarmers

20/11/15
Oh bummer, I really hate to open my watch if it's brand new. I tend to always mess up something. Be it the hands, the screws or the dial. What I do now is to be ultra careful during qc.