• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

J12 15400 - Edit: Now Available

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Congratulations!!! On your watch it looks amazing in the pictures! A couple of questions if you have the time, how is the finish on the movement does it hold up to the rest of the watch? And second care to explain the whole WD 40 and oil bath for me!

And one bonus last wish would you do a quick video to get an idea of the sunburst effect. ;) only if you have the time

Video done. As for oil bath - last night I just sprayed WD40 on the links with the screws and left it until this morning. Screws came out easily. Later I will remove the bracelet and put it in a shallow tray and cover it with mineral oil and leave it to soak overnight. Then clean off the excess oil with a soft toothbrush and soapy water.

The problem is that the shank of the screws are roughly machined and quite a snug fit into the centre part of the links. This rough surface just binds in the link and then produces small metal shavings if you try to loosen them without any oil, which increases the friction and results in a chewed head at best and a snapped screw at worse! Learnt that lesson with the silver dial JF as I did break one screw trying to undo it. Had to cut the link off in the end but fortunately just one link which I was removing anyway.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
^^ thanks for the video. Regardless of likeness to gen, what's looks prettier, blue or silver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
^^ thanks for the video. Regardless of likeness to gen, what's looks prettier, blue or silver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooh, hard to say. Not enough wrist time with the blue yet!! The silver dial looks crisper because the tapisserie squares are sharper edged (even if that's not like the gen), and the radial sunburst effect look nice without any colour changes. If I could only keep one it might be the silver!!

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
One other thing - the dial hour batons and AP logo really glint and sparkle when moving the watch. Some have said the batons are bigger than gen but I'm not so sure about that. My dial comparison photos seemed to show they're almost identical to gen, and they're certainly much better finished than TF. There absolutely no lume overspill and the narrower lume strip really allows the angles of the batons to reflect the light, they could easily pass for white gold!!

cornholio

Renowned Member
6/5/15
The blue looks good hub. Maybe not 100% or 99% but its certainly a major improvement. I saw an RG blue dial at the AD the other day and I must say this looks pretty good in comparison.

And I'd like to add one more thing about closeness to gen. When you see a gen 15400, the first thing that strikes you is not the dial or the screws or the CB thickness, its the shine of the markers, bezel, links and generally all the polished bits. And imo the JF has really got that right, I've had the TF, the lite, and now the JF and they got the most important thing (for me) right.

JimLahey

Renowned Member
11/6/15
After some more pictures of the JF white dial I'm very tempted to scoop one up. The only thing I'm worried about is my wrist size. I have a 6.3 inch wrist. I have a BP sub that fits my wrist nicely, but I've heard conflicting opinions about the RO worn on smaller wrists. Anyone with a wrist size near mine that has a 15400 and would like to share their opinion?

Kmmas

7/4/15
So so you would say if one wants to stay closer to the gen one should choose the black dial over the blue? I really like the blue especially after the daylight pictures you posted, but at the same time I want to be as close to get as possible *confused*

Oh yeah, an overnight WD40 soak meant all bracelet screws came out easily. Sanding the heads with 1200 grit and polishing has tidied up them up where there were screwdriver burrs. I also smoothed the shanks of the screws with a rubber wheel and dremel so they'll no longer be a problem.

My conclusion is it's definitely the best blue dial so far, but does have a radial sunburst effect that I don't think the gen has. Otherwise the finish of the case and bezel is spot on. The angles line up nicely on mine and no issues with crooked markers or AP logo this time so overall I'm very happy with it and will learn to live with the dial colour.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
its the shine of the markers, bezel, links and generally all the polished bits. And imo the JF has really got that right, I've had the TF, the lite, and now the JF and they got the most important thing (for me) right.

Could not agree more. It looks and feels like an expensive premium watch should do even if it's a rep.

As for the question about blue or black then if you're worried at all then black might be the better choice.

Miltiades

Known Member
7/7/10
Thank you so much for the info and the video, I posted a few days back a hi-res video of a gen reviewed in French and there is definitely some sunburst on the gen but I do think is lighter than on the JF the last time a was at the AP boutique was 3 months ago, and I remember the sunburst, I will be in Vegas by December and they always have a blue dial at the boutique there if I have received mine by then will take it with me to the trip and try to take pictures under the same light conditions for a review, it's a shame about the rotor not being sanded on the flat surface, I just reviewed my QC pictures and I think we are on the same boat, how does it look, from the pictures I much prefer the one on your silver dial

tinitonsi

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
Thx for the vid [MENTION=53629]hub6152[/MENTION]
The blue is really good in my eyes. I'm really exited now to get it ;)
As for the rotor, my Silver dial has it like your blue one...

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Yeah the rotor should really be brushed but it's a minor detail. I'm not going attempt to brush it as I know what will happen!!

I've been wearing it all day and every time I glance at it to check the time (every 2 minutes) that blue does look good and certainly no regrets about getting it.

Byrnedogs

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/3/14
I'd be interested to know if anybody has pulled the trigger on the white dial version with brown strap? I think the strap gives the watch a real classy look, even if it is theoretically a fantasy model (I think - pretty sure its only the RG gen versions that come with a brown strap).

Think i'm going to go for this and I'm hoping that the leather strap will hug my small wrists a little better round the lugs than the steel bracelet

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
I'd be interested to know if anybody has pulled the trigger on the white dial version with brown strap? I think the strap gives the watch a real classy look, even if it is theoretically a fantasy model (I think - pretty sure its only the RG gen versions that come with a brown strap).

Think i'm going to go for this and I'm hoping that the leather strap will hug my small wrists a little better round the lugs than the steel bracelet

Does the JF come on a leather strap? I don't think so.

tinitonsi

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
21/3/14

It's not fantasy, you can personalize your watch ;)