• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

J12 15400 - Edit: Now Available

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
^^ genuinely can't see what "flaws" those red lines are pointing out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to understand these watches aren't sitting FLAT, even when you flip them on their side. There's is a bit of an angle from the right side of the watch towards the camera. Which will make the markers on one side appear misaligned or longer. Hence what you have in this case. I would've accepted that white dial personally.

Discigerous

Renowned Member
29/9/15
You have to understand these watches aren't sitting FLAT, even when you flip them on their side. There's is a bit of an angle from the right side of the watch towards the camera. Which will make the markers on one side appear misaligned or longer. Hence what you have in this case. I would've accepted that white dial personally.

+1, my exact thoughts when seeing those pictures.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Sad to hear for the watch [MENTION=53629]hub6152[/MENTION]

So, the main issue is the bracelet?

Yes that's the biggest problem. The polishing in between the links is poor compared to whoever supplied the TF/V6 bracelet. Clearly they come from different factories. The fit of the adjustable link screws is much better on the JF visually (although the TD photos of the TF look good) but many are impossible to remove. And there are scratches and marks all over the case and bracelet that I couldn't send in the QC pics.

tr0y

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
19/2/13
^^ genuinely can't see what "flaws" those red lines are pointing out?

AP logo print was misaligned - the image is strongly resized by Tapatalk. Look close and you'll see it!

I can only second that TDs are only after the money nowadays. I spent a lot of money too & there I felt that he just wanted the sale. But to be honest...I never truly expected an other behavior. It's just business...

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
AP logo print was misaligned - the image is strongly resized by Tapatalk. Look close and you'll see it!

I can only second that TDs are only after the money nowadays. I spent a lot of money too & there I felt that he just wanted the sale. But to be honest...I never truly expected an other behavior. It's just business...

Yep my AP logo misaligned too but that's easily fixed. I even had one TD tell me to buy the gen if I didn't like it when I simply asked his opinion in a particular watch. I held back!!

tinitonsi

Respected Member
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
Yes that's the biggest problem. The polishing in between the links is poor compared to whoever supplied the TF/V6 bracelet. Clearly they come from different factories. The fit of the adjustable link screws is much better on the JF visually (although the TD photos of the TF look good) but many are impossible to remove. And there are scratches and marks all over the case and bracelet that I couldn't send in the QC pics.
How about the DW alignment? It's straight or crocked?

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK

Exactly my point

tr0y

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
19/2/13
Yep my AP logo misaligned too but that's easily fixed. I even had one TD tell me to buy the gen if I didn't like it when I simply asked his opinion in a particular watch. I held back!!

The logo is an easy fix but the print was crooked!

jamztio

I'm Pretty Popular
10/1/12
I have squinted hard and yet, the crookedness still escapes me.

Maybe try to remove the red lines. I'm afraid this is just a case of optical illusion which you won't even think about again when you wear it and glance at it from time to time.

darby g

Renowned Member
23/2/15
Man, you guys would've hated to own an early gen Royal Oak..

To be honest, I might have rejected the QC pics posted earlier, if I even caught it that is.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Let me just say though that on the wrist it does look good. The silver dial does have the sunburst effect and looks like an AP dial even if the tapisserie isn't accurate. So my beef is with manufacturing quality rather than accuracy.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Let me just say though that on the wrist it does look good. The silver dial does have the sunburst effect and looks like an AP dial even if the tapisserie isn't accurate. So my beef is with manufacturing quality rather than accuracy.

Would the JF be a good basis for a Franken with a gen dial/hands/movement?

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Would the JF be a good basis for a Franken with a gen dial/hands/movement?

Good question. The case is nice, the crown damn near perfect (especially since even the TF is crap despite TD photos), and the bezel has the proper size screw heads but one thing with the JF is the bezel screw internal nuts. I know for sure that the original 15202 39mm RO doesn't have them (I have the 40th anniversary RO book which has a full technical drawing for the original RO) but I don't know if the 15400 gen does. Not seen a gen 15400 taken apart yet! Rep dials are the same diameter as gen at 30.48mm but there's a question over the date window alignment. I'm not sure I'd want to spend on gen stuff to even try it.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
It is worse being a modification technician. :huh1:

Couldn't agree more. A lot of things I'm moaning about most probably wouldn't notice so much (chewed up screw heads apart) and I will say, despite my problems, it does look damn good on the wrist even with the smaller tapisserie. Certainly not like a pimply teenager at all!!

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK

To be honest you won't get help from TDs if you're rejecting watches built within the rep factory tolerances/specifications.

You will be told to "buy gen" if your dial txt alignment standard is better than what the factory tolerance is.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I think the wavering reception of this JF 15400 on this shaggy-dog thread triumphs over the passionate and sometimes excessive debates we had over the Schumis and the GPs in terms of sheer all-out watch curmudgeonliness (i.e. WIS). I love this.