• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IW327010 MARK XVIII V7 maker VS Gen

Mkempes

and now into vintage
Supporter
Certified
13/12/23
EU
I would and did the latter.

You don't know what you'll get. Even if you got a SW300 or ETA 2892 it could be a quality reject or refurbished. In case of the ETA this is quite likely because ETA doesn't sell them to externals any more.

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
Hello to everyone, I've read the thread and I have a doubt. I hope someone can resolve it.

I've asked some TD about what swiss movement uses the watch.

Some TD responsed that it uses swiss ETA 2892; and others that watch uses Sellita 200.

I don't understant it because eta 2892 is equivalent to sellita 300 (same size); and sellita 200 is larger than the other both.

So, anyone knows if the rep watch can be bought with swiss eta 2892, or sellita 300 or sellita 200?? TD don't answer clearly to me.

To finish, do you consider better to buy with clon A2892 and the swap the movement to install a swiss movement; or directly buy the watch with swiss movement?

Thanks to everyone
What I've heard is that when you buy a rep from the TDs with a Swiss movement, they often use second hand movements that have been removed from old watches, so may have questionable past, or not be serviced. I never bought one so don't know for sure.

These MKs have quite slimi cases, I don't think theres room for a SW200/ 2824 to fit without interfering with the movement cover, unless the whole case is deeper.

The safest bet is to go with a version with Asian 2892, then if you like, source your own Swiss movement to swap.

I've also found that if you get a good Asian movement like Seagull that they're excellent quality, highly reliable and you may feel no need to swap.

Trebor88

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/11/23
What I've heard is that when you buy a rep from the TDs with a Swiss movement, they often use second hand movements that have been removed from old watches, so may have questionable past, or not be serviced. I never bought one so don't know for sure.

These MKs have quite slimi cases, I don't think theres room for a SW200/ 2824 to fit without interfering with the movement cover, unless the whole case is deeper.

The safest bet is to go with a version with Asian 2892, then if you like, source your own Swiss movement to swap.

I've also found that if you get a good Asian movement like Seagull that they're excellent quality, highly reliable and you may feel no need to swap.
Thanks for your answer, sir.
What movement do you considerer best option to install, eta 2893 or sellita 300?

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
Thanks for your answer, sir.
What movement do you considerer best option to install, eta 2893 or sellita 300?
I don't think there's much in it. Some people claim the 2892 is better, but IWC were using most SW300 most recently in these watches. So I'd go for which ever you can find more cheaply. I think they're as good as each other.

boltonguy

20/10/23
Considering replacing the movement and watchsmith suggests the Selita over the ETA.

nickelodeon

DIY and vintage enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
5/4/22
For all having issues getting the Mark XVIII water proofed: sanding the inner case / magnetic protector worked, from absolutely not proof to resisting 7 bar up :)

Last edited:

BucksInFive

23/5/23
USA
buy with the clone, swap movements later.

buying with a swiss movement will get you a second hand/low grade movement at best, a clone at worst.

i ended up swapping a 2892a2 after the original movement broke; i would prefer one of the newer sw300s with the 50+ hour power reserve, but 2892a2 was much easier to source.

Mekki

Fake Lover
Supporter
Certified
6/8/07
EU

Hello my dears, can you please tell me if there are any obvious errors? Have ordered them and need to confirm delivery