• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IW327010 MARK XVIII V7 maker VS Gen

ttbb281

Horology Curious
27/7/17
Just replying a final time so people know what to look out for when purchasing this watch. I had the exact same issues as keisuke_z regarding water getting into the watch, with very minor splashes. I ended up being able to unscrew the caseback and gave it a clean around the threads, put silicon grease on the gasket then closed it. It's completely fine under water now. Also agreed, the outer AR does scratch very easily. Overall this is my fav rep though, highly recommended

AndyDav55

Known Member
Certified
13/2/18
I've had mine for about 8 months now and it is genuinely fantastic. I think the only issue is of course the outer AR scratching easily. Does someone smarter than me know where i can get a GEN Dial and Crystal at all? Anyone on this forum can source such things?

Thanks

keisuke_z

Renowned Member
22/1/13
Just replying a final time so people know what to look out for when purchasing this watch. I had the exact same issues as keisuke_z regarding water getting into the watch, with very minor splashes. I ended up being able to unscrew the caseback and gave it a clean around the threads, put silicon grease on the gasket then closed it. It's completely fine under water now. Also agreed, the outer AR does scratch very easily. Overall this is my fav rep though, highly recommended
Apologies - I completely missed your reply! Looks like you were able to source a Jaxa style caseback opener and address your issues. That’s awesome.

As an update for mine:
- I couldn’t get past the recurring appearance of metal flecks so I ended up getting a gen SW200 movement
- being my first movement swap with a sellita, I had to swap the datewheel over. That proved to be a disaster.
- after finally casing everything back up, the movement won’t run

I’m pretty sure I know what the problem is having recently done an ETA 2824 swap and learning the proper steps to remove a date wheel. But I just haven’t had the time to reopen my LPP and redo everything so, in storage it continues to rest.

Prior to that I also took diemakwr stones to the endlinks trying to make them more flush. Needless to say, I was not successful and will eventually be on the hunt for a new bracelet 😂

merowinger

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/13
Switzerland
This is an older thread, but I had a direct comparison between the V7F (left) and the MKS version. The blue is so much better, the case is more beautifully finished. The V7F is definitely NWBIG.
In the picture, the MKS has a 2xAR crystal (prof), the V7F has the normal V7F crystal, which has a blue tint, just like the gen.
Anyway, I'm going to swap them over.

Reactions: Valaj and Mahoro

boltonguy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/10/23
I have a normal VF7 Mark VIII (e.g. not little prince) and noticed under high magnification that the limes markers (4 hour markers and triangle at noon) appear to be glued on and not painted like the rest of the numbers and markers on the dial. Is this the same with both the watches in the photo above? I believe those lumed markers are painted on in gen. Possibly the only difference between rep and gen outside the movement.

boltonguy

20/10/23
Oh thank you. I thought they were painted on the gen. Would you happen to know if they are applied on the Mark XX as well?

nickelodeon

DIY and vintage enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
5/4/22
Apologies - I completely missed your reply! Looks like you were able to source a Jaxa style caseback opener and address your issues. That’s awesome.

As an update for mine:
- I couldn’t get past the recurring appearance of metal flecks so I ended up getting a gen SW200 movement
- being my first movement swap with a sellita, I had to swap the datewheel over. That proved to be a disaster.
- after finally casing everything back up, the movement won’t run

I’m pretty sure I know what the problem is having recently done an ETA 2824 swap and learning the proper steps to remove a date wheel. But I just haven’t had the time to reopen my LPP and redo everything so, in storage it continues to rest.

Prior to that I also took diemakwr stones to the endlinks trying to make them more flush. Needless to say, I was not successful and will eventually be on the hunt for a new bracelet 😂
Are you sure about using a SW-200? It should be a SW-300 to fit and if I remember correctly with Handheight = H2 (correct me if I'm wrong here)

I had / have the same issue with the water resistance, I tried to sand down the inner case and the inner back of the caseback and that helped a bit, also applied a thicker gasket. Are you sure the problem is only caused by not so well machined threads / dirty threads?

Wish you luck getting your watch running.

matzemedia

Supporter
Certified
22/4/21
Deutschland
I ordered a Mark XVIII set for ali and put today everything together. Seller was BosshuA007. As movement, I use a Seagull ST1812. I am pretty excited. The only issue you can see at the 9 o'clock point. It is not exact glued.

Does anyone know what factory this is?

Last edited:
Reactions: boltonguy

Trebor88

2/11/23
Hi there!
The Swiss version comes with Sellita movement.
Sellita 200? 300? or Eta 2892? Are the movements precise and clean?
Do you recomend buy with swiss movement or buy a clone and then swap for a swiss movement?

Mkempes

and now into vintage
Supporter
Certified
13/12/23
EU
I ordered one with the ETA 2892 and wanted to see the movement in the QC pictures before shipping. This was mainly due to a post I read in r****t where someone ordered the ETA version and received the A2892 version instead.

The factory put a sticker on the back of the case and told the TD not to open it. Even after some discussion and full payment up front, the TD refused to open the case back and show me the movement. I finally gave up and we changed my order. I was not willing to pay for an ETA without the ability to inspect before shipping.

Funny thing is, my replacement order is a Mark XX with A2892 and it had no sticker on the case back!

If the movement breaks one day, I will ask a watchsmith to install a SW300 or an ETA 2892-A2.

Reactions: Trebor88

Trebor88

2/11/23
I ordered one with the ETA 2892 and wanted to see the movement in the QC pictures before shipping. This was mainly due to a post I read in r****t where someone ordered the ETA version and received the A2892 version instead.

The factory put a sticker on the back of the case and told the TD not to open it. Even after some discussion and full payment up front, the TD refused to open the case back and show me the movement. I finally gave up and we changed my order. I was not willing to pay for an ETA without the ability to inspect before shipping.

Funny thing is, my replacement order is a Mark XX with A2892 and it had no sticker on the case back!

If the movement breaks one day, I will ask a watchsmith to install a SW300 or an ETA 2892-A2.
Interesting...Someone has bought the watch rep with gen eta and has find out it in qc pictures?

Mkempes

and now into vintage
Supporter
Certified
13/12/23
EU
No, found out when opened after delivery. That's what I wanted to avoid.

Anyhow, I think it's the better decision to order the asian version and change once it's broken.

Trebor88

2/11/23
Hello to everyone, I've read the thread and I have a doubt. I hope someone can resolve it.

I've asked some TD about what swiss movement uses the watch.

Some TD responsed that it uses swiss ETA 2892; and others that watch uses Sellita 200.

I don't understant it because eta 2892 is equivalent to sellita 300 (same size); and sellita 200 is larger than the other both.

So, anyone knows if the rep watch can be bought with swiss eta 2892, or sellita 300 or sellita 200?? TD don't answer clearly to me.

To finish, do you consider better to buy with clon A2892 and the swap the movement to install a swiss movement; or directly buy the watch with swiss movement?

Thanks to everyone