• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I've deconstructed an OEM RM005 velcro strap

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
I needed some answers so i had to do it.

Here's my short youtube clip about the process and the results.

If you can get me the dimensions of the strap insert I can recreate them in CAD and print them in strong plastic. Most of the inserts I've seen on Ali are drastically overpriced and don't necessarily fit the watches they're supposed to.

Reactions: pompompurin

SMP_lover

Strap mastermind
Vendor (Strap Maker)
13/12/10
If you can get me the dimensions of the strap insert I can recreate them in CAD and print them in strong plastic. Most of the inserts I've seen on Ali are drastically overpriced and don't necessarily fit the watches they're supposed to.
Strong plastic won't work. There needs to be a combination of metal and rubber. Fortunately for me i have figured everything out already. But thank you for your offer anyway ;)

fall1n1

Registered Flex Offender
Supporter
Certified
30/1/21
UK / Singapore
Vic, you’re a treasure to our community. Keep up the great work and I look forward to ordering a couple more straps when that RM I told you about arrived bro!

Reactions: SMP_lover

SMP_lover

Strap mastermind
Vendor (Strap Maker)
13/12/10
you can get me the dimensions of the strap insert I can recreate them in CAD and print them in strong plastic. Most of the inserts I've seen on Ali are drastically overpriced and don't necessarily fit the watches they're supposed to.
Check this thread out :

Reactions: GiantSquid

SMP_lover

Strap mastermind
Vendor (Strap Maker)
13/12/10
Polycarb/CF works, I've printed the inserts (the metal tab parts) for my RM67 although that's an elastic strap and has no rubber structure. Might be able to do it with TPU but it'd be a pain and seems like you've got it covered.
I used to have the zf v2 inserts made of some extra strong nylon. I have even tested it by repeatedly smashing with a hammer. It would not break, it absorbed the shocks, it heated up, and got jelly like gummy bears for several seconds after the impacts. Then ut stiffened back. So it worked but after several weeks/months it got more brittle and would beeak around the hole.

The rep 67 uses kvf-ish thick inserts, so there's more meat. Zf, bbr and genuine RMs inserts are 1.4mm it's too thin for any plastic to hold in time. Another factor for your 67 inserts not breaking is that you use them in an elastic strap. The elastic band absorbs most tension from bending the strap and it's not transmitted on to the insert in same proportion as on velcro strap.

So for velcros only metal inserts work.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
I used to have the zf v2 inserts made of some extra strong nylon. I have even tested it by repeatedly smashing with a hammer. It would not break, it absorbed the shocks, it heated up, and got jelly like gummy bears for several seconds after the impacts. Then ut stiffened back. So it worked but after several weeks/months it got more brittle and would beeak around the hole.

The rep 67 uses kvf-ish thick inserts, so there's more meat. Zf, bbr and genuine RMs inserts are 1.4mm it's too thin for any plastic to hold in time. Another factor for your 67 inserts not breaking is that you use them in an elastic strap. The elastic band absorbs most tension from bending the strap and it's not transmitted on to the insert in same proportion as on velcro strap.

So for velcros only metal inserts work.
Not using a rep 67, I've built my own custom midcase and bezels in polycarbonate/carbon fiber blend, along with custom inserts. Might not fit your purposes but it works perfectly.

pataccaro

Swiss banker
17/4/15
Not using a rep 67, I've built my own custom midcase and bezels in polycarbonate/carbon fiber blend, along with custom inserts. Might not fit your purposes but it works perfectly.
Any updates to share on those pieces? I was very interested in the 67-02

Reactions: GiantSquid

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Any updates to share on those pieces? I was very interested in the 67-02
It's been a long time, hasn't it? I was stuck on sourcing pad printing but there's been zero movement on that so I'm going to etch the remaining plates, blue them, and put them all together without the printing just to show it can be done.

For the RM50 I found that the original printed plate for the dial will still work, so I'm (slowly) doing the hand finishing on the midcase so it can be assembled too.

I'm planning on updating the thread soon, apologies for the delay but thanks for your interest!

fall1n1

Registered Flex Offender
Supporter
Certified
30/1/21
UK / Singapore
Very interested in this. Would you mind sharing more on your custom rm67? I’ve been waiting for one forever. If the case is gen spec and can be made with real NTPT, movement decoration is passable you can count me in for one or two!

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Very interested in this. Would you mind sharing more on your custom rm67? I’ve been waiting for one forever. If the case is gen spec and can be made with real NTPT, movement decoration is passable you can count me in for one or two!
Sure thing, thread on it is here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/rm11-quartz-project.10428889/

I've made an RM50, an RM67, and just made an RM33-02. The ones I print myself are carbon fiber/polycarbonate although I'm working with a friend to mill them from NTPT blocks soon. Spent most of today working on them after a long break. If you have any other questions or interest, DM me or post in the thread above so we don't derail this thread too much!

Reactions: fall1n1