• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is the XF V3 ROO FC Diver still the "best"? Any Impressions?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I mean I could've just bought the gen if I really wanted to, but I don't like the specs of the gen so why should I aspire for something that I wouldn't be happy with? This rep represents the direction I wanted the gen to go with. It didn't. So AP didn't get my money. The rep dealers did. It's more of how I'll enjoy the watch much better with a high-beat movement. Simple as that.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

I can understand your perspective, though I may not agree with it.
I mean, I will not buy a gen AP diver anymore, but for different reasons. Whatever it is, it looks like we are in the same hobby and it will stay that way, whatever your inclinations may be.
It is important that you enjoy your watch, and not worry about what anyone else thinks.

Reactions: Allure

Blaithin

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/8/19
I can understand your perspective, though I may not agree with it.
I mean, I will not buy a gen AP diver anymore, but for different reasons. Whatever it is, it looks like we are in the same hobby and it will stay that way, whatever your inclinations may be.
It is important that you enjoy your watch, and not worry about what anyone else thinks.
Yeah, and I plan to enjoy this hobby in my own strange way.

To be very clear though, I do not look down on low-beat movements. I have some seikos and a vintage seiko along with some Citizens that are in my rotation along with the super fancy watches.

Last edited:
Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yeah, and I plan to enjoy this hobby in my own strange way.

To be very clear though, I do not look down on low-beat movements. I have some seikos and a vintage seiko along with some Citizens that are in my rotation along with the super fancy watches.

Yes I understand. It’s a matter of personal preference and I respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and Blaithin

bosaftw

6/6/16
Germany
Actually the XF V2 exists with a low beat movement.
I asked Andrew from trustytime about it and he confirmed he can source it for me.
I don‘t know if the V3 already exists with a low beat movement aswell.
It is not a cheap 2813 shitty movement he told me. It‘s another asian low beat movement with more power reserve than the 2813 which only has 28 hours I think.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Actually the XF V2 exists with a low beat movement.
I asked Andrew from trustytime about it and he confirmed he can source it for me.
I don‘t know if the V3 already exists with a low beat movement aswell.
It is not a cheap 2813 shitty movement he told me. It‘s another asian low beat movement with more power reserve than the 2813 which only has 28 hours I think.

You are talking about the 2846 movement and yes it exists in the v2 model.
Do note however that you will have a problem upgrading the cyclop should you choose to. Somehow it will not fit as nicely over the dial opening as the 2836 variant.
I worked on both before.

Reactions: Allure

bosaftw

6/6/16
Germany
You are talking about the 2846 movement and yes it exists in the v2 model.
Do note however that you will have a problem upgrading the cyclop should you choose to. Somehow it will not fit as nicely over the dial opening as the 2836 variant.
I worked on both before.

Andrew said the XF V2 with 2846 is discontinued.
Instead it‘s another asian low beat movement. Not 2813. I didn‘t ask further questions what movement exactly it is.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
21600vph has always looked jerky to me, and to my long time gamer senses... It screams fps drop... I hate fps drops.

Surprised you’re OK with an ‘8fps’ second hand then. Why not put a spring drive in it?

Blaithin

6/8/19
Surprised you’re OK with an ‘8fps’ second hand then. Why not put a spring drive in it?
It's not like it's on a 60hz/144Hz (God save me if it is) screen that has to buffer the 8 frames in between the 60/144 frames to minimize the blank frames you never get to see in between. That is what I call a sin. But, thankfully, the watch dial doesn't have a refresh rate so I don't have to suffer through a true 8fps screen. That almost realistic pixelated stick is actually refreshing every 125 milliseconds (because said stick has a refresh rate of 8 Hz) meaning I am getting no fps stutter, and no fps drop. I am also deeply apalled that you fail to realize that the distinguished eyes of a true gamer suffers from a grave condition that renders anything that takes more than 150ms to refresh as a medical emergency (symptoms to prolonged exposure include diarrhea, migraine, diabetes, arthritis, venereal disease, HIV, and possibly death). This well documented genetic mutation (the true gamer gene) is both the bane and blessing of my existence. How do you expect a man to accept a watch from AP that could literally kill him?

Now, you might be thinking...how can this gentleman enjoy his classy Seikos and Citizens (my grail brands, in fact) without incurring significant penalties to his ability to stay alive? I'll tell you how...I've poured untold, and embarassing millions into creating the world's most unfashionable "Google" Glass (that has none of the AR) whose sole purpose is to algorithmically predict my eye movements and detect any objects that may require motion interpolation to an acceptable, and non-lethal level. It weighs approximately 2Kg, and you will not believe the amount of neck stretches and neck ups I've done to physically condition myself for my Japanese masterpieces. I've even comissioned the most ergonomic chair, neck rest, and neck pillow with minor gravitic suspension (the US military is just nowhere near close to anti-gravity, I'm afraid) for my personal viewing pleasure. Now, I fully expected the AP to be a watch I could bring outside the house, and not be confined into walled prison with see-through glass. Voyeurism is more fun when it's done in public after all, and, as such, by finding this replica...I have found the solution to my kink.

Your suggestion with the spring drive is duly noted. However, my heightened gamer senses provide extreme sensations of euphoria when viewing such levels of realism in a second hand so I must respectfully decline, and shelve it in the "horrible ideas" section in the R&D dept. solely dedicated to normalizing my reactions to "common" stimuli.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
It's not like it's on a 60hz/144Hz (God save me if it is) screen that has to buffer the 8 frames in between the 60/144 frames to minimize the blank frames you never get to see in between. That is what I call a sin. But, thankfully, the watch dial doesn't have a refresh rate so I don't have to suffer through a true 8fps screen. That almost realistic pixelated stick is actually refreshing every 125 milliseconds (because said stick has a refresh rate of 8 Hz) meaning I am getting no fps stutter, and no fps drop. I am also deeply apalled that you fail to realize that the distinguished eyes of a true gamer suffers from a grave condition that renders anything that takes more than 150ms to refresh as a medical emergency (symptoms to prolonged exposure include diarrhea, migraine, diabetes, arthritis, venereal disease, HIV, and possibly death). This well documented genetic mutation (the true gamer gene) is both the bane and blessing of my existence. How do you expect a man to accept a watch from AP that could literally kill him?

Now, you might be thinking...how can this gentleman enjoy his classy Seikos and Citizens (my grail brands, in fact) without incurring significant penalties to his ability to stay alive? I'll tell you how...I've poured untold, and embarassing millions into creating the world's most unfashionable "Google" Glass (that has none of the AR) whose sole purpose is to algorithmically predict my eye movements and detect any objects that may require motion interpolation to an acceptable, and non-lethal level. It weighs approximately 2Kg, and you will not believe the amount of neck stretches and neck ups I've done to physically condition myself for my Japanese masterpieces. I've even comissioned the most ergonomic chair, neck rest, and neck pillow with minor gravitic suspension (the US military is just nowhere near close to anti-gravity, I'm afraid) for my personal viewing pleasure. Now, I fully expected the AP to be a watch I could bring outside the house, and not be confined into walled prison with see-through glass. Voyeurism is more fun when it's done in public after all, and, as such, by finding this replica...I have found the solution to my kink.

Your suggestion with the spring drive is duly noted. However, my heightened gamer senses provide extreme sensations of euphoria when viewing such levels of realism in a second hand so I must respectfully decline, and shelve it in the "horrible ideas" section in the R&D dept. solely dedicated to normalizing my reactions to "common" stimuli.

In short, whatever pleases you. Even with a 21600 low beat conversion, the watch will not magically become gen either. The purpose we mod our watches, is to please ourselves. Sometimes, the mods do not make it "gen-like" (much as I detest that term for reps), but they get done anyway. The only question to answer is whether you like it better with this or that mod done. Period.

Reactions: Allure and Blaithin

Blaithin

6/8/19
In short, whatever pleases you. Even with a 21600 low beat conversion, the watch will not magically become gen either. The purpose we mod our watches, is to please ourselves. Sometimes, the mods do not make it "gen-like" (much as I detest that term for reps), but they get done anyway. The only question to answer is whether you like it better with this or that mod done. Period.

Amen to that. To be honest, I did get really curious about the huge debate in the Low Beat Diver Mod sticky on the "huge" call out that is the high-beat sweep, and found people arguing over videos comparing a Rolex and a low-beat AP, and two AP divers (one low beat and the other high beat). It was always pretty apparent to me which one was low-beat the moment the videos started, but I wasn't too surprised when people started saying that they had a hard time seeing a difference (at such a close distance too). I'll be damn honest, most people's idea of low-beat is your standard 7s26 on a seiko 5, and those movements aren't exactly the pinnacle examples of a low-beat (still apparent to me at about 0.5 meters away), and are jerkier than other better examples. My citizen low-beat on the other hand has a much smoother sweep, but is still observably low-beat if I go in for a closer look. It just so happens that each beat has significantly less residual "shake" than the 7s26. For most people, the citizen may as well pass off as 28,800vph. I can't even imagine you'd meet a guy capable of stealth checking out your AP at a 1 meter distance (fucking creepy at this point), and immediately concluding that it's not low-beat. The calibre 3120 low-beat from AP is one of the best examples of a low-beat that I can imagine, and, for an even larger audience than the citizen, this thing is practically masquerading as a 28,800 vph.

I understand why some people would want to question my idiosyncratic preference, and, in all honesty, it's just how I roll. I respect that they want a low-beat movement to minimize the call outs or just for the sake of "closeness to gen." These are, after all, the bread and butter goals of the rep world. Personally, I'm not too worried about either because I am the "instant call out" which, for all intents and purposes, are to my absolute advantage. Nothing beats a good walk in a quaint neighborhood with the sky reflecting off of your timepiece. It's a small reprieve from the conceited, and insecure individuals I incidentally rub elbows with (Though many of my friends and associates are the opposite of this stereotype. There are a lot of these "sad" apples too). It's a small window where my timepiece is free of the notion of how much it costs, and is just plain beautiful. This is probably the sincerest way I can explain why I went for the fantasy route.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Amen to that. To be honest, I did get really curious about the huge debate in the Low Beat Diver Mod sticky on the "huge" call out that is the high-beat sweep, and found people arguing over videos comparing a Rolex and a low-beat AP, and two AP divers (one low beat and the other high beat). It was always pretty apparent to me which one was low-beat the moment the videos started, but I wasn't too surprised when people started saying that they had a hard time seeing a difference (at such a close distance too). I'll be damn honest, most people's idea of low-beat is your standard 7s26 on a seiko 5, and those movements aren't exactly the pinnacle examples of a low-beat (still apparent to me at about 0.5 meters away), and are jerkier than other better examples. My citizen low-beat on the other hand has a much smoother sweep, but is still observably low-beat if I go in for a closer look. It just so happens that each beat has significantly less residual "shake" than the 7s26. For most people, the citizen may as well pass off as 28,800vph. I can't even imagine you'd meet a guy capable of stealth checking out your AP at a 1 meter distance (fucking creepy at this point), and immediately concluding that it's not low-beat. The calibre 3120 low-beat from AP is one of the best examples of a low-beat that I can imagine, and, for an even larger audience than the citizen, this thing is practically masquerading as a 28,800 vph.

I understand why some people would want to question my idiosyncratic preference, and, in all honesty, it's just how I roll. I respect that they want a low-beat movement to minimize the call outs or just for the sake of "closeness to gen." These are, after all, the bread and butter goals of the rep world. Personally, I'm not too worried about either because I am the "instant call out" which, for all intents and purposes, are to my absolute advantage. Nothing beats a good walk in a quaint neighborhood with the sky reflecting off of your timepiece. It's a small reprieve from the conceited, and insecure individuals I incidentally rub elbows with (Though many of my friends and associates are the opposite of this stereotype. There are a lot of these "sad" apples too). It's a small window where my timepiece is free of the notion of how much it costs, and is just plain beautiful. This is probably the sincerest way I can explain why I went for the fantasy route.

Nobody will call your watch out based on the beat alone in real life, and that is a fact. It is always a feature which remains unobtrusively in the background instead of an active tell that we rely on to differentiate rep and gen.

Reactions: Allure and csthe

Blaithin

6/8/19
Nobody will call your watch out based on the beat alone in real life, and that is a fact. It is always a feature which remains unobtrusively in the background instead of an active tell that we rely on to differentiate rep and gen.
Agreed. I'd take an off beat rate as more of a signal to scrutinise further than for a pure call out. Reps like this on the wrist are made so well that you'd have to be in the know of the flaws like the lume markers that are never quite applied with the deliberate "evenly coloured inside the lines" as the gen, or the date font. And with updates every so often you'd always need to be appraised to know what to look for down the road, and that is IF you paid particular attention to the reps of that particular model.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Agreed. I'd take an off beat rate as more of a signal to scrutinise further than for a pure call out. Reps like this on the wrist are made so well that you'd have to be in the know of the flaws like the lume markers that are never quite applied with the deliberate "evenly coloured inside the lines" as the gen, or the date font. And with updates every so often you'd always need to be appraised to know what to look for down the road, and that is IF you paid particular attention to the reps of that particular model.

Yes. What guys fail to remember, is that on the forum, we discuss static and magnified pictures of watch dials and features. Easy spot of flaws even for amateurs.
In real life, you really have to have superb vision and sufficient knowledge to call out some reps.

Reactions: Allure and csthe

Blaithin

6/8/19
Yes. What guys fail to remember, is that on the forum, we discuss static and magnified pictures of watch dials and features. Easy spot of flaws even for amateurs.
In real life, you really have to have superb vision and sufficient knowledge to call out some reps.
Couldn't agree more. I'll make sure to keep that in mind so I don't go spy-commando all over the place. Busting reps irl like it's nobodies business. :D