• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is Joshua's servicing worth the effort and $?

gruffster

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/6/06
Thinking of getting a "perfect" SD from Joshua - wondering if the servicing he offers is worth the extra $120.

Specifically, he says it includes:

Servicng and waterproofing...

Movement will be strip to bone, oilclensed and reassembled, lub with 5 differnt types of Swiss import lubircant.. Calibration to + 5 sec per day..

Waterproofing... additional seals will be added at crystal, caseback and crown, Watch will be subject to pressure test of up to 4.5 to 5 bars.. Giving you at least 45m watreproofing.

This package is USD 120/-.. Work is done in Accordance to Swiss standards, in particular Rolex standards as it is carry out by my trusted friend with is a Swiss Rolex trained technician.
-------------------

Considering getting this SD, and/or a vintage MBW SD. (and perhaps a MBW 1680)

Thanks for the help.

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
It sounds very reasonable for the work.

You probably have to pay that amount for just servicing the movement let alone the waterproofing. If you can find a local watchmaker who will work on reps for you.

Edge

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
Very reasonable price for the work, but is the seadweller in a seadweller case or a modded sub case like usual.

to the best of my knowledge the ONLY ones to use the correct case are MBW, so if the entire case is off.....what's the point???

Happy T

Renowned Member
8/4/06
Perfect? There are no "perfect" reps! :wink: :D

As for the services, that would be a very reasonable charge if you don't have a watchsmith.

gruffster

4/6/06
Edge said:
Very reasonable price for the work, but is the seadweller in a seadweller case or a modded sub case like usual.

to the best of my knowledge the ONLY ones to use the correct case are MBW, so if the entire case is off.....what's the point???

Well...that's why I'm looking at MBW. I was thinking of getting a MBW red 1680 and a SD from Joshua, but perhaps I should just get both from Luckyyy.

I take it that's what you are suggesting?

Unfortunately, Luckyyy is out of DRSD's, and only has single red and all white SD's. Trying to decide on my part.

Thanks for the advice.

tiresmoke

8/4/06
tutima said:
It sounds very reasonable for the work.

You probably have to pay that amount for just servicing the movement let alone the waterproofing. If you can find a local watchmaker who will work on reps for you.

I agree. If we are to trust Joshua that the work is being performed at all and done correctly as stated (and I don't see a reason why we shouldn't trust him at this point), then it's a very good deal.

rdorman

29/3/06
Not only is it a resonable price, but you won't be without your watch for a month or so after you get it! Even with the ETA movement, the movement could be dry or dirty as it arrives from the manufacturer so I beleive that service is always recommended. Getting one serviced by the typical jeweler can run you north of $400 in the states.

I really think this idea will catch on.......

Edge

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
Firstly I am not decrying Joshua for this service he says that it is being done by a watchsmith and I for one trust him. And as I have already intimated this is a good price for the service.

My issue was actually with the accuracy of the watch. The SD is an anomaly the ONLY person to offer the correct version is MBW, as the others to the best of my knowledge all use submariner cases which is NOT correct.

The 1680's I have seen recently from Trusty and Josh have been very good, they aren't obviously MBW quality but they are MUCH MUCH cheaper and for the price very good, and best of all it would appear that they are eaccepting genuine parts. So for the 1680 go for any of the dealers.

BUT....

In my Humble Opinion there is currently only one option that is viable for sea dwellers and that is MBW due to the casing issues.

If the case doesn't bother you then the other dealers all have nice looking versions just beware that you will always have a small watch compared to gen.

End of the day it's your choice I am merely exploring the options for you and conveying my opinion. Quality wise WM/MBW cannot be beaten but they aren't cheap, and the new 1680's from the dealers look like viable alternatives, but as of yet I have not seen a viable alternative to the seadweller NO MATTER what dial variation.

My $.02

gruffster

4/6/06
Edge said:
Firstly I am not decrying Joshua for this service he says that it is being done by a watchsmith and I for one trust him. And as I have already intimated this is a good price for the service.

My issue was actually with the accuracy of the watch. The SD is an anomaly the ONLY person to offer the correct version is MBW, as the others to the best of my knowledge all use submariner cases which is NOT correct.

The 1680's I have seen recently from Trusty and Josh have been very good, they aren't obviously MBW quality but they are MUCH MUCH cheaper and for the price very good, and best of all it would appear that they are eaccepting genuine parts. So for the 1680 go for any of the dealers.

BUT....

In my Humble Opinion there is currently only one option that is viable for sea dwellers and that is MBW due to the casing issues.

If the case doesn't bother you then the other dealers all have nice looking versions just beware that you will always have a small watch compared to gen.

End of the day it's your choice I am merely exploring the options for you and conveying my opinion. Quality wise WM/MBW cannot be beaten but they aren't cheap, and the new 1680's from the dealers look like viable alternatives, but as of yet I have not seen a viable alternative to the seadweller NO MATTER what dial variation.

My $.02

Thanks man. That's great advice. I may just give Andrew or Josh the 1680 business, and get the SD from Luckyyy.

I must say, this forum has been good to this newbie, and I appreciate it.

Regards.

10acErnie

Known Member
6/4/06
Edge said:

Ah! So it's mainly the size that is dif from the gen? I was trying to figure out the major differences.
I would agree with Edge then....go with the MBW.
Hopefully the other dealers are hearing this......size does matter!!!

longshot

Known Member
20/5/06
10acErnie said:
Edge said:

Ah! So it's mainly the size that is dif from the gen? I was trying to figure out the major differences.
I would agree with Edge then....go with the MBW.
Hopefully the other dealers are hearing this......size does matter!!!

I've never quite understood that...

Obviously someone is making cases for MBW and it just seems weird to me that they are the only one with access to them? I wonder if we will ever know why other dealers/makers can't just get the same cases and drop their dials, movements etc in them :?

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
longshot said:
I've never quite understood that...
Why can't the pimp on the street corner get his top ho to go and get some crack from the local dealer and deal it in his rival's patch? :D

I bet it's got something to do with the business being illegal and dodgy, but I'm only guessing, obviously.

thomlad54

17/3/06
I just bought a Pam 202 from Joshua and I asked him to have it waterproofed. He got back to me and said his watchsmith couldn't do it, an issue with the pushers, therefore no charge to me. Joshua is very honest and reliable.

10acErnie

Known Member
6/4/06
Here's the specs from Trusty's site.
It says the Case is 41mm x 11.5mm and also says
"Case and dial made 1:1 like the genuine version"
Are these correct to the gen?

MOVEMENT: Swiss ETA 2836-2 Automatic
CASE DIAMETER: 41mm
THICKNESS: 11.5mm
DIAL COLOR: Black Dial
CASE MATERIAL: Solid Stainless Steel 316L
BRACELET: Solid Stainless Steel 316L
FRONT GLASS: Thick Plexi Glass
BACK GLASS: Solid Case back with Markings
BEZEL: Bi-directional bezel (non-click)
HACK MOVEMENT: Yes
CLASP TYPE: Normal buckle
DATE INDICATOR:
GMT HAND:

OTHER REMARKS:

Water Resistant
Best Vintage Series of Rolex ever made
Thick Plexi Glass crystal ilke genuine vintage Rolex
Case and dial made 1:1 like the genuine version
Double Red Sea Dweller - The Signature Red Markings

Edge

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
I am not EXCATLY sure what the dimensions of the SD Should be, BUT I can tell you it is meant to be bigger in dimensions than sub and my sub is also 41mm.

I am open to being wrong but AS FAR AS I AM AWARE the only one with correct dimensions is the MBW.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Edge said:
I am not EXCATLY sure what the dimensions of the SD Should be, BUT I can tell you it is meant to be bigger in dimensions than sub and my sub is also 41mm.
As far as I know, the diameter of the SD is the same as the Sub. The SD is just deeper.

zetterdawg

Renowned Member
12/5/06
I wish I'd had the option..

to get the service and waterproofing done. I think I ordered 2 days before he offered it.

Great deal, great dealer. I don't want to have to worry too much about my watches. I like to wear them and enjoy them, not work on them :) Maybe that addiction will come later.

longshot

Known Member
20/5/06
Pugwash said:
Edge said:
As far as I know, the diameter of the SD is the same as the Sub. The SD is just deeper.

I did some web research today and it looks like the SD is 4mm thicker due to the higher WR rating :)

10acErnie

Known Member
6/4/06
longshot said:
Pugwash said:
Edge said:

I did some web research today and it looks like the SD is 4mm thicker due to the higher WR rating :)

Did you happen to get the thickness dimensions? Trusty's DRSD is 11.5mm thick. Just wondering if it's the same as the gen.

10acErnie

Known Member
6/4/06
I just checked Trusty's site and his 1680 is also 11.5mm thick..........so I guess it's still the same case as the sub.