• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it true that replicas eventually lead to genuine watch buy?

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia

"Is it true that replicas eventually lead to genuine watch buy?"​

No doubt it does on occasion.

but it also leads to:

- spending WAY too much time on RWI.
- anxiety when a watch pops up on M2M that you really like but you just can't....shouldn't... won't...buy it.
- further anxiety and a simultaneous joyous dopamine drip when you go ahead and buy it anyway.
-anxiety of wondering that despite the seller being a patron and having 50 sales and 5,000 posts- is this the time he is going to go rogue?
- constant checking of 17track to watch your package move way too slowly thru customs and postage.
- planning and scheming of trying to get the package delivered and out of sight before the wife sees it.
-having things move around in your trousers when you open that taped-up box from some stranger containing God knows what.
-a BIG dopamine rush when the watch is just as advertised- or even better.
-creative hiding of said watch in various hidey-holes throughout the house. (if the dog needs to know what time it is in his kennel- he is SET!)
-mental anguish of trying to remember if she has seen said watch when you wear it out- and wondering if she will see said jewelry.
-nervousness of not rotating the watches fast enough in the winders to not have to s mess with the keyless and reset complete calendars!
-beating yourself up about going right back to this place and doing it all over again...

but that may just be me....
Also...

-If you're from Europe, you're realizing that you stay up late much more often than you used to, because 2.30am is just the perfect time to talk to your favorite human from China.

-Your Whatsapp top 10 chat folders all have phone numbers with Chinese prefixes.

-You accidentally wait for QC images every time you order a mechanical / technical item on eBay or Amazon even though the order already arrived.

-You confuse your Auntie / Nana, who lives overseas, when you tell her on the phone that "you just hope those Bastards at customs don't seize" her home made cookies she always sends you for the holidays.

-You see only horology content, and ONLY horology content, regardless of whether you open the Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, Telegram, or YouTube app on your phone.

-All (without exception) RWI TDs from China know you by your first name, have your mobile phone number, your land-line #, your full address, have a copy of your birth certificate, some are the godparents of your 1st, 2nd and 3rd child, almost all have been to your wedding, some to your divorce and both of your parents funeral (or will be, if still alive) and one or more may even be married to your ex-partner. But you still don't think they play a big part in your life... At all.

Last edited:

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
I think I'm on this journey, imho it goes something like.
Buy a fake, sod it, who cares?
Buy a better fake, now no one knows it's fake.
But it (the gen) is too expensive. So it's obvious to those who know you.
So then you buy a fake of the watch you can afford to buy for real. Hmmm, and now you need to sit down and have a word with a; yourself. b; anyone else this forthcoming purchase may affect.

There's two "TheBigJS"'s, one goes out in town, looking like the man, he could rock a solid gold Daytona, no worries.
The other earns a reasonable wage, but nothing excessive, has kids to pay for and a house to run. A steel Submariner is probably a bit much, a Tudor or an Omega (over my fucking dead body, fucking wank Rolex wannabe fucking wankers) might be ok.

Town TheBigJS rocks a fake, and always will.
The other guy....he's the one who might buy gen.

Last edited:
Reactions: SwePe and Nickyan

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Honestly? I went the opposite way by starting with gens and moving on to reps and frankens to see how they stacked up. Some of the NWBIGs and frankens are so darn good I find myself wearing them more then some of my gens. It also allows me to figure out if I will likely wear a piece instead of just trying it on at the AD and guessing after two minutes of wear. For instance, i learned i dislike 6 digit Rolex models because I test drove a nice VSF sub. Saved me the hassle and I ended up buying a different gen instead.

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
I’ve been a watch nerd from the moment I got a 60’s era Omega on a leather strap at the age of 12…

That led to the internal struggle of dealing with the Canal Street trash of the 80’s and 90’s.

Which drove me to a gen TT OP :love:

After a good long period of contentment and then burning curiosity I found RWI‼️.
Back then curiosity tuned to disappointment when I realized there’s never gonna be rep 16700 or 16570 Polar so I went back to those gens.

Then this higher being much more powerful than myself made it clear my infatuations were over.

So now I take a practical approach. The ones I would not wear on regular basis; 116710 LN/BLRO or 116622 blue dial go rep, cause they’re great reps. Lately there’s a need for a frankened 16710 Coke with that awesome German case, the comprise.

On the gen side I’m holding out for, and negotiating with that higher force for a gen Cartier Tortue 1556362 🤞

So basically I go back and forth using the best of each to generate interest in the next object of desire.

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
It also allows me to figure out if I will likely wear a piece instead of just trying it on at the AD and guessing after two minutes of wear. For instance, i learned i dislike 6 digit Rolex models because I test drove a nice VSF sub.

That also happened to me with a nice Noob 116610 LN. It felt good, real anyhow as I got more and more parts replaced by Gen parts.
But I suddenly knew that the 116610 was not „the one“ when having my first 5 digit build on my wrist.

Reactions: RDRoss

Zaus

Known Member
7/11/17

but it also leads to:

- anxiety when a watch pops up on M2M that you really like but you just can't....shouldn't... won't...buy it.
- further anxiety and a simultaneous joyous dopamine drip when you go ahead and buy it anyway.
-anxiety of wondering that despite the seller being a patron and having 50 sales and 5,000 posts- is this the time he is going to go rogue?
- constant checking of 17track to watch your package move way too slowly thru customs and postage.
- planning and scheming of trying to get the package delivered and out of sight before the wife sees it.
-having things move around in your trousers when you open that taped-up box from some stranger containing God knows what.
-creative hiding of said watch in various hidey-holes throughout the house. (if the dog needs to know what time it is in his kennel- he is SET!)
-mental anguish of trying to remember if she has seen said watch when you wear it out- and wondering if she will see said jewelry.
-nervousness of not rotating the watches fast enough in the winders to not have to s mess with the keyless and reset complete calendars!
-beating yourself up about going right back to this place and doing it all over again...

It looks familiar to me as well, but I flip gen watches from time to time, so my wife already getting used to see me with some new watch.
But ofc rep watches will not replace gens with higher complications. Even such simple complication like Omegas quick set hour hand. I thought this simple complication would be so useful when our family traveled before covid restrictions. Back then I traveled with rep Omega without such complication. I hated to set my watch after plane landing when we are in a hurry and I need to set my watch with atomic clock again, but I have no free both hands to do it fast enough. This quick set hour hand complication is one of the points which got me involved in a gen world. I mean that if we are talking about complications, when hands down, rep world lacks it.

Reactions: Nickyan

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16

but it also leads to:

Also...

-If you're from Europe, you're realizing that you stay up late much more often than you used to, because 2.30am is just the perfect time to talk to your favorite human from China.

-Your Whatsapp top 10 chat folders all have phone numbers with Chinese prefixes.

-You accidentally wait for QC images every time you order a mechanical / technical item on eBay or Amazon even though the order already arrived.

-You confuse your Auntie / Nana, who lives overseas, when you tell her on the phone that "you just hope those Bastards at customs don't seize" her home made cookies she always sends you for the holidays.

-You see only horology content, and ONLY horology content, regardless of whether you open the Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, Telegram, or YouTube app on your phone.

-All (without exception) RWI TDs from China know you by your first name, have your mobile phone number, your land-line #, your full address, have a copy of your birth certificate, some are the godparents of your 1st, 2nd and 3rd child, almost all have been to your wedding, some to your divorce and both of your parents funeral (or will be, if still alive) and one or more may even be married to your ex-partner. But you still don't think they play a big part in your life... At all.
Diggy Simmons Friend GIF by grown-ish

May I suggest a therapist?
- please keep NSFW in LooneyBin -

Last edited by a moderator:

Bersekre

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/1/23
Europe
The Rep Journey is a adventure, I have bought over 80 Reps in 2-3 years when I first started … yes, the addiction hit hard

After that I was going all gen, bought around 10 very nice Gens in 5 years, completely out of the Rep Game and now since a few weeks I am back again. :)

It‘s incredible how good the Reps evolved over the years.

I had a few bad experiences with Gens in a 6k € plus range (bezel misaligned twice, even after 1st service at the Factory, deployant clasp Logo wasn‘t flush on), so I wanted to try Reps again and I am in love.

omegafan91

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
27/12/22
EU
It all depends. For me I started with low level gen ones, went through some replicas and eventually substituted them with gens one - at least the one that I liked. I still buy reps but mostly models that I am eyeing to buy gen eventually.

Flowjoe100

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/6/19
London
Pretty much yes. It definitely opens the door to me looking at genuine watches. There is something rather unsatisfying about owning / wearing fake watches. As a result I'm done with reps for the time being, have sold them all but one (Rolex Sub 116610) in the aim to save up enough for a genuine Tudor Pelagos. We shall see...

Reactions: Nickyan

altesporsche

Patron
Certified
21/3/12
Most certainly lol then once you have a lot of gens, you wish you had the old franken reps you had because it was more satisfying building and chasing perfection than it was to own the real deal lol

kingjames90

Legend
12/8/18
Manchester, UK.
Said this elsewhere in the forum a while ago but when I’ve had gen Rolex watches in the past I’ve enjoyed having them on my wrist and looking at them, interacting with them etc…

But when it came to wearing them because they represented such a significant amount of money (to me) I just never really enjoyed wearing them because I was in constant fear of reaching under the desk and putting a huge gauge in the case or scratching the crystal, or what if I reach in my pocket for my keys, what if I go somewhere and need to take it off blah blah 🙄

Everyone’s situation is different of course but I’ve worn reps so much more and had way more enjoyment out of that experience because it represents 90% of the ownership of the gen but 0% of the worry in my opinion!

Saying that, a friend (who is significantly more well off than me) wore a vintage day date 36, black stick dial, plexi crystal to the pub the other week and I nearly burst into tears touching it it was that beautiful… maybe in the next life 😂

Onepickledginger

Gone Gin
Patron
Certified
9/8/20
Most certainly lol then once you have a lot of gens, you wish you had the old franken reps you had because it was more satisfying building and chasing perfection than it was to own the real deal lol
I just sold my gen 214270 because I hate the sleezy racket R factory has become AND feel a strong connection with the 116600 I built from a stripped down Noob case and bracelet. Tracking down the gen crystal, bezel assembly, dial, hands, crown, and gen 3135 was an amazing scavenger hunt. Much more satisfying than fellating an AD for a submariner.

Last edited:

altesporsche

Patron
Certified
21/3/12
Said this elsewhere in the forum a while ago but when I’ve had gen Rolex watches in the past I’ve enjoyed having them on my wrist and looking at them, interacting with them etc…

But when it came to wearing them because they represented such a significant amount of money (to me) I just never really enjoyed wearing them because I was in constant fear of reaching under the desk and putting a huge gauge in the case or scratching the crystal, or what if I reach in my pocket for my keys, what if I go somewhere and need to take it off blah blah 🙄

Everyone’s situation is different of course but I’ve worn reps so much more and had way more enjoyment out of that experience because it represents 90% of the ownership of the gen but 0% of the worry in my opinion!

Saying that, a friend (who is significantly more well off than me) wore a vintage day date 36, black stick dial, plexi crystal to the pub the other week and I nearly burst into tears touching it it was that beautiful… maybe in the next life 😂
lol i hear you, but i mean genuines get use as well, a lot of people are like yourself and worry about it, but at the same time there are a lot who don't worry. it is exactly as you said a lot of money just to have bashing around. Money aside these for the most part are tool watches. aside from the polished centre links on some they are pretty resilient, i wear my gens everywhere and at everything, i work on my cars with them on my wrist doing brakes, eengine work etc.. i wear them hiking, swimming etc.. for me its meant to be worn, but everyone is different and i completely understand it and respect it when people worry, im just not one who does (and no I'm not wealthy lol far from it). I wore a Panerai 009 to work for years in some insanely harsh conditions until i realized how much they have gone up in value lol but that thing was through hell and back and still looked great. its probably the only Gen i miss owning and i sold it to fund rep builds lol

I just find with a franken that i spent time with to build and perfect i have a lot more attachment to it, more of a sense of pride inside than say spending $10-15k on a watch and just owning it and wearing it. its kind of funny when you think about it lol but I'm glad I'm not the only one that way.

kingjames90

Legend
12/8/18
Manchester, UK.
lol i hear you, but i mean genuines get use as well, a lot of people are like yourself and worry about it, but at the same time there are a lot who don't worry. it is exactly as you said a lot of money just to have bashing around. Money aside these for the most part are tool watches. aside from the polished centre links on some they are pretty resilient, i wear my gens everywhere and at everything, i work on my cars with them on my wrist doing brakes, eengine work etc.. i wear them hiking, swimming etc.. for me its meant to be worn, but everyone is different and i completely understand it and respect it when people worry, im just not one who does (and no I'm not wealthy lol far from it). I wore a Panerai 009 to work for years in some insanely harsh conditions until i realized how much they have gone up in value lol but that thing was through hell and back and still looked great. its probably the only Gen i miss owning and i sold it to fund rep builds lol

I just find with a franken that i spent time with to build and perfect i have a lot more attachment to it, more of a sense of pride inside than say spending $10-15k on a watch and just owning it and wearing it. its kind of funny when you think about it lol but I'm glad I'm not the only one that way.
Then in that case my friend you have the mindset nailed and I am envious haha!

I fully agree that watches are meant to be worn!

I think it is a shame that genuine luxury watches have increasingly just become a representation of the monetary value they carry and a status symbol.

There’s people wearing a Lange just because now, with no appreciation for the craftsmanship, heritage and no interest at all in horology - it is MENTAL to me.

Tell you what though, I’d be so supportive of someone with the means buying a replica of a high horology watch like some of those and falling in love with it so much they have to buy the gen.

(Probably best to just stick the rep on though if you’re going for a wander around London these days!)

Anyway I’m rambling, enjoy all of your watches in good health, wear the shit out of them!!