• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it true that replicas eventually lead to genuine watch buy?

Zaus

Known Member
7/11/17
What's your experience in this journey?
For me persilonaly replica watches leaded to genuine Omega SMP watch buy, but it was more like coincidence than pure need for genuine watch.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
In my experience, rep ownership led to an increasing respect for, and desire for, the real thing. There's only so far rep and even Franken ownership can get you when in the back of your mind the mantra is playing over and over... "Yes, But Gen is Gen."

daytona4me

Robert - EOW 19/01/2024
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
For me, I went from low level genuine ($600-$1200usd), to Replica, then to mid level genuine $4,000-$10,000.

Over the course of the month I will wear genuine Breitling, Oris, Hamilton, replica Panerai, Hublot, Rolex.

I can afford up to about $15k without getting a divorce, but I cant justify it really. I like my collection just the way it is and I will personally not buy a genuine watch that cost more than about $7-8k.

Last edited:

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the opposite.

I started with all GEN watches (Omega, Tag, Breitling etc) so arguably not super high end by any means, but since joining here, much to the delight of my missus, have toned down all GEN purchases, except casioaks :)

Little does she know the true cost of the 'fake watches' as she calls them ;)

I'm not sure I can mentally financially justify spending 5 figures on a watch, when I get the same satisfaction from a replica of it. I tend to beat down that 'gen is gen' voice that niggles away at me now and again :ROFLMAO:

Maybe just me 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Zaus

Known Member
7/11/17
Often voice in me says that replicas are really high quality today, but still they are not on par with genuine watches. Ofc if we compare lower tier of genuine watches, for example gen Oris 65 and rep 300-400€ watch, then differences are not so obvious. Replica watches were thicker than their gens, so this bothered me. Nowadays thickness matches. I noticed some quality issues in some less visible areas on the case or dial of the rep and it bothered me a bit from time to time. There were always such feeling inside me what I will answer if anybody will ask to show him my watch and he will ask is it genuine or how many I payed. I always felt like I have to cheat with myself, because I wear questionable rep, but not high quality gen. I heal such thoughts in my mind just by saying to myself that "you paid 10x less for this rep, so accept the shortcomings.

Nickyan

29/1/23
Germany
I'll observe and let you know in a couple of months 😂

The thing for me is, I'm a little anxious to wear >1k€ gens for fear of banging them around and damaging them. I have gen Seiko, Casio, Steinhart and Tissot that I'm not too worried about. Getting a tegimented Sinn that will serve me well on a day to day basis and is fairly bulletproof.

I'm on the list to receive a gen Tudor BB58 and the rep is on the way. I'll see when I'll wear what. Saving the gen only for special occasions also seems pointless, why get it in the first place when you're not gonna wear it.

I'd get a rep Sub or Explorer in a heartbeat, but when to wear those 🤷🏼‍♂️ I'd probably also get them gen at retail, but that won't happen from any AD anytime soon.

So yes, it's a conundrum. No idea where the journey will take me. Interested to read your thoughts

daytona4me

Robert - EOW 19/01/2024
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I always felt like I have to cheat with myself, because I wear questionable rep, but not high quality gen. I heal such thoughts in my mind just by saying to myself that "you paid 10x less for this rep, so accept the shortcomings.

^^^ This ^^^ Me 100%

SwePe

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/9/22
EU
In my experience, reps has lead to more and more reps - and lately to an increasing interest in Franken reps.

It remains to be seen whether that would satisfy the need for more or instead create a hunger for GENs.

rolex4me

often nice, sometimes evil😜
Supporter
10/4/16
As for me,no,my reps have not tempted or encouraged me to buy the gene.I have two genes that I do not have as a REP and I have many REPs that I would not buy as a gene because they would be too expensive for me and I would not be willing to spend the money on them, because I prefer to invest this money in other things (although I love watches both gene and REP).My opinion Maybe it would be different if I had too much money left. Greeting

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Gold Patron
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
My case was the other way around.

Went from entry level gens, to mid and high level gens, got tired of the gen world BS and snobery and went 50% rep to about 90% rep now.
Eventually I wont own any gens, maybe apart from the occasional GShock.

Last edited:

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I already had some Gens (Gen Heuer, Omega, Fortis ...) before I joined the Rep Game.
I sourced many Gen parts so my watchmakers built me some outstanding Builds (RLX: YM 16622, Sub date 16800 and 16610, Explorer II 1655, GMT Master 16753 and GMT Master II 16710, DSSD 116660 and some more). Some of them are mainly Gen but the case, some of them are not as top of the notch but mainly really excellent Reps.
I went Gen with a Submariner date that has been worn by the previous owner, but never polished.
And yes, there is a difference between my Gen Rolex Submariner date (Ref. 16610 T) and my 2004 RLX build 16610 T. It does not feel different when any of the two is on your wrist, it is the bezel action that is different. The gen's bezel action feels like a proverbial Swiss safe; the build's bezel action is noticeably less precise. All in all, though, the bezel action doesn't account for the price difference between the two watches. It's also the knowledge of wearing something valuable on your arm that will hopefully retain its value.
Knowing this I'm behind a Gen 16710 and a Omega Speedy, if possible a pre-moon.

Reactions: p0pperini

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
My plan a few years ago was instead of buying a gen (10k) with credit and making payments, to buy a rep ( or three) every month and then sell them all for whichever became the most worthy.

This hasn't happened yet.

Last month I decided an explorer II was the piece to end all watch buying.
I ended up building a franken. wore it three days.
Now it's collecting dust.
Really glad I didn't drop 8K on a gen

This week I have decided a 16613LN is the be all end all piece.
I already know what the future holds so am building another franken first.......

Maybe one day I will liquidate and go gen, but at this point those models worthy would be a 15k rolex and I don't know how I feel about wearing that much asset on my wrist daily. Stuck in a continues loop of what to do, like listening to a record on repeat.

Sticking with reps up until now has searved me well.

My two gen omegas get less wrist time then a lot of my reps.

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Surely, reps can have an influence on the course of an individual journey within the wristwatch hobby...

But let's not kid ourselves. There's just one basic law, which is:

Any watch can (and most likely will) lead to more watches, if you have a certain genetic predesposition (my wife uses the less fancy term of "low IQ", or simply, "stupidity").

For me, it was a Citizen Quartz watch at the age of 12 or 13, which was my first "good watch". Then, for many years, not much followed, except for the occasional Tissot or Fossil which reminded that something was probably not right with me, because those purchases felt oddly satisfying, yet they didn't seem to fulfill a certain yearning that I couldn't pin down at the time.

Well, fast forward 30 years, and I suddenly find myself in a crazy, borderline psychotic watch spending frenzy that's been going for a couple of years now.

It was just now that I finally understood: I've always been a watch nerd — I just didn't realize it for several decades...

And I suspect that goddamn 1980s Citizen Quartz Chrono was Patient Zero in my case. I will never forget that feeling coming out of that store and looking at the dial, after having spent what felt like a fortune (well, my mom paid, but that thing was on MY wrist nevertheless! How awesome was that?)...

So yeah, reps can lead to more watches, because watches can lead to more watches. A lot of more watches. Like, REALLY a lot of watches.

Run. Run, while you can.

You may eventually outrun this very expensive hell hole.

dog tick GIF

Feefo

More hoarding, less regrets.
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I'm with @eBoy probably, just with one year lag regarding the watch spending frenzy, but I also feel like I've always been a watch nerd, more or less, despite many years of wearing absolutely nothing on my wrist. I'm also ok with reps, I don't feel the urge to go Gen (apart for my grail watch, an explorer 1 which I will get someday, at retail), I'm quite happy with reps, I couldn't "morally" justify spending those amounts of money on gens, preferring to use the money for something more serious or enriching because, let's face it, it's adult toys we're talking about, finely crafted, with great tradition and a fascinating history and all, but toys they remain. They make me happy, but not, like, 60k happy, if you know what I mean. Spending time with my family, seeing new places, experiencing new, different things is where I like to put my money.

I like the versatility reps allow me and don't bother at all what people think.

Onepickledginger

Gone Gin
Patron
Certified
9/8/20
After starting out with exclusively gens, I now try to make complimentary replica and gen collections. For most sports watches, there's a well made replica with a reliable movement that will suffice. If there's a watch I'm lusting after where a good rep isn't available or the movement wouldn't be reliable/function as per gen, then I will consider buying the gen.

There's really only two types of watches where I strictly go gen. The first is marking life events and the second is haute horology. I don't want to buy an anniversary piece and years later think "yeah, but it's a rep." Secondly, while I own a rep with a seagull tourbillion and it is amazing, hand finished watches in precious metals can't be satisfactorily replaced by a rep.

Last edited:
Reactions: wilsonpepper

Foomanstu

Horology Curious
3/2/23
San Antonio, TX
I have a Gen Seamaster that I've worn daily for the past 30 years and have never thought of purchasing another watch until now. Yes, I go to the Omega shop and admire the beauty of the new lines but I can't justify spending the money on them. As a husband and father and a small plane owner, I'd rather spend my discretionary funds teaching my son to fly and traveling with my wife. If I had double the income then maybe another Gen. I'm new to the site and recently ordered a Rep Seamaster 300M, black dial with rose gold trim from a non TD before I discovered this site. So far all seems to be going well with the transaction and time will tell if I get my watch or one in the shorts. I am also initiating another transaction, this time with a TD for a Planet Ocean Deep Black with Rose gold trim. So I am going from Gen to Rep and adding to my collection after 30 years with my awesome Seamaster. Photo of my Gen Seamaster purchased in 1993 for $1200.

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas

"Is it true that replicas eventually lead to genuine watch buy?"​

No doubt it does on occasion.

but it also leads to:

- spending WAY too much time on RWI.
- anxiety when a watch pops up on M2M that you really like but you just can't....shouldn't... won't...buy it.
- further anxiety and a simultaneous joyous dopamine drip when you go ahead and buy it anyway.
-anxiety of wondering that despite the seller being a patron and having 50 sales and 5,000 posts- is this the time he is going to go rogue?
- constant checking of 17track to watch your package move way too slowly thru customs and postage.
- planning and scheming of trying to get the package delivered and out of sight before the wife sees it.
-having things move around in your trousers when you open that taped-up box from some stranger containing God knows what.
-a BIG dopamine rush when the watch is just as advertised- or even better.
-creative hiding of said watch in various hidey-holes throughout the house. (if the dog needs to know what time it is in his kennel- he is SET!)
-mental anguish of trying to remember if she has seen said watch when you wear it out- and wondering if she will see said jewelry.
-nervousness of not rotating the watches fast enough in the winders to not have to s mess with the keyless and reset complete calendars!
-beating yourself up about going right back to this place and doing it all over again...

but that may just be me....