• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

iPhone vs Android. What’s in your hand?

No0b

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
4/8/23
USA
Was an android user, strictly android, for a long time. I got my first cell phone in 2004, maybe 2005. Up until a month ago, I was using a Galaxy.
Now….since I’ve made the switch, I will NEVER go back to using an android phone. Period!

Which do you prefer, and why? What made you switch?

Reactions: Planetdanny

ApexDestroyer

Time-Keeper
Certified
13/1/23
USA
This used to be a heated debate for me until I realized that most people don't know the facts. I have had many iPhones but I switched to Android (Samsung Galaxy Series) a while back.
I have a few take-aways.

The iPhone is a great phone, it works very well within the Apple ecosystem. If you like ease-of-use and Apple products or if you are not that tech-savvy, I would recommend it 100%. My wife, 3 kids, in-laws, parents, siblings have iPhones and love them.

Android phones, on the other hand, come in so many different flavors. Any of which could leave a bad taste in your mouth. This is because there are so many different manufacturers (Samsung, Google, Motorola, OnePlus, etc.).

Most people like to compare these phones by camera quality, storage space, and general useless features. When it comes down to "flagship phones", they are all so close in specs that the only people that really argue are the fanboys that are biased towards their loves.

Each has their own positives and negatives and I could rant all day about which does which better but when it comes down to it, its not about quality or features its about personal preference. Apple is geared towards simplicity that "just works" while Samsung (Android) is geared towards full-control and freedom.

The 1 major fault of Apple:
Apple doesn't want you to move away from their ecosystem. Apple products do not, and never will, work well cross-platform. The most apparent issue, when discussing smart phones, is the iMessage problem.
I'm not going to go into detail about how iMessage, RCS, MMS, and SMS work but the issue is with Apple refusing to adopt new messaging standards outside of iMessage chat. Apple makes it seem like "Android messaging" is the problem but it is in fact Apple purposely keeping within the ecosystem.

I would consider myself very tech-savvy and I love how much control I have over my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra.
I would also consider my brother to be very tech-savvy and he absolutely loves his iPhone 14 Pro Max.

This is scratching the surface and I could write an entire book on the subject but I'm going to step down from the soapbox and just end this rant here.

Iceballer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
19/7/23
EU
I chose for Apple about 8 years ago and never looked back ever since. I like stuff that just works out of the box and works well together with other products from the same brand. I have an Apple Watch Ultra also, which works in sync with my iPhone and it can also unlock my Macbook automatically. It's just the small things I appreciate. Plus I love the looks of the products, it find the design very sexy.

Sure it can be done with Android also, but when I go back to Android again.. I'll probably hack the software again and brick it, like I did with the 10 Android phones before it.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
IPhone but never Mac

I like the straightforwardness of iOS for what I do on it. But Mac is a nightmare. When my wife bought hers I warned her that I would NOT do IT support on it 😂

The kids swear by Android.

The only issue I have with IPhone is sync with Outlook. I have a corporate phone, it's horrible to use Outlook and Contacts

Iceballer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
19/7/23
EU
IPhone but never Mac

I like the straightforwardness of iOS for what I do on it. But Mac is a nightmare. When my wife bought hers I warned her that I would NOT do IT support on it 😂

The kids swear by Android.

The only issue I have with IPhone is sync with Outlook. I have a corporate phone, it's horrible to use Outlook and Contacts

Apparently it's a dream when you own an iPhone and your kids also, you can basically control what they can('t) see/do on their phones. But I reckon that's probably the same case as with Android?

ps: I see that I have an avatar with Pikachu also, I will change it ;)

Reactions: Karbon74

paul.co

Certified
23/6/17
I'm passionate about technology, workspace productivity and minimalism, and I found Apple to properly cover all these aspects.
I have an iPhone 14 Pro which in my opinion is a disaster in terms of battery life & battery reliability compared to previous generations, but other than this is great and I wouldn't trade the Apple environment for anything else at the moment.

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
I chose the iPhone 8 years ago due in a large part to the longevity. My iphone 7 is still getting patched 7 years later and still in daily use.

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
Had iPhone 3 and 4 long time ago. Changed to Android/Samsung and never looked back🙂

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE
Was an android user, strictly android, for a long time. I got my first cell phone in 2004, maybe 2005. Up until a month ago, I was using a Galaxy.
Now….since I’ve made the switch, I will NEVER go back to using an android phone. Period!

Which do you prefer, and why? What made you switch?
My first smartphone is a Palm Treo 180, mono-colour with only 16mb memory. The best thing is that most apps' size are only 1-2kb. After that, I struggle between Windows mobile and Nokia these 2 crappy OS until iPhone. I quit iPhone after 4s and shifted to Android which later turned out to be a complete disaster. I go back to iPhone in 6s plus and change a few phones within Apple until now I am on 13 pro max. Might wait until 16 or even 17 to buy another again, can't really leave the Apple ecosystem now since I have everything on them incl TV, music, laptop etc.

Maxcacciatori

I'm something of a collector myself
23/4/23
Europe
Had essentially all the iphones until the iphone 7. Then one day I tried to download all my photos from icloud to my PC (a normal PC, I was too poor for a Mac). Well, it was not possible to do it at once, I had to click all the 27,000 pictures, select them and download them.

As said before, Apple does not want you to leave their ecosystem, and for me this is a deal breaker. Samsung/Android are so versatile, it really seem you can use 100% of the potential of your phone.

That being said, while I keep Samsung for personal use, I have iphone for work. Both top tier, and as said, the pictures are so similar that no one would be able to compare them.

Ultimately, like for watches, you have to choose what you like, knowing that the perfect product does not exist.

Reactions: 1MoreWatch

1MoreWatch

Supporter
Certified
15/10/22
Detroit
I am currently using an iPhone 12 mini, but I still prefer Android .

My first smartphone was the Galaxy S (one). At the time, it was technically better, more RAM, OLED screen. IOS was better software, but I didn’t like Apple for reasons mentioned previously here. I was Android only until I got the 12 mini. I prefer Android because it gives you more control and customizability. Also many more choices of phones.

The phone I was using before this was an LG G8x with dual screen case. It is great for multi tasking, but even without the case it’s pretty big. I wanted something smaller (said no man ever, lol). I tried an Asus Zenphone 8 and Sony Xperia 5, but they weren’t that much smaller. So *sigh* I tried the iPhone mini and it met my requirements. It’s small and light so I can put it in my shirt pocket comfortably or my pants pocket and not have to adjust it to sit down. Apple finally has OLED screens, and their gesture navigation is very similar to Android. I still don’t like Apple as a brand but this phone met my requirements for a smaller device.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Been an Android user for over a decade. Never liked how Apple limits what you can do with 3rd party apps. Currently on a Samsung Fold 4. Best phone I've ever had. Makes it easy for us older eyes to see.

Reactions: Rx4Time

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
I use an Android Samsung phone for work and an Apple phone for personal use. I prefer the Apple. I find it more intuitive.

More importantly, this was the first phone I had--------

HmQrjQ.jpeg

Man, was I cool...walking around with this!

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Been an Android user for over a decade. Never liked how Apple limits what you can do with 3rd party apps. Currently on a Samsung Fold 4. Best phone I've ever had. Makes it easy for us older eyes to see.
I’ve got a friend who has one of those, and it is very cool. Unfortunately, I’ve had an iPhone ever since I got rid of my Blackberry. The entire family uses an iPhone. and it just makes it easier to interact.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I use an Android Samsung phone for work and an Apple phone for personal use. I prefer the Apple. I find it more intuitive.

More importantly, this was the first phone I had--------

HmQrjQ.jpeg

Man, was I cool...walking around with this!
I had that too. When I was going to school I worked selling these at a Audio / Video shop. We used to get around $300 per activation.

Reactions: Fiddo

CentralCal

Brig Survivor, October 2023, Never Forget ✊
Gold Patron
Certified
4/6/13
Currently, Samsung S23 Ultra

I bought the first Android phone (Google G1) in 2008 and never looked back.

My work phone is an iPhone though, and there are some things I like better on iOS (iOS keyboard is miles ahead of Android), but all things considered I much prefer Android.

Reactions: TESLA760

Tim4682

Supporter
Certified
27/10/13
NC, USA
If you like ease-of-use and Apple products or if you are not that tech-savvy,
100% agree…

Im Android all the way because I am tech savvy and like to configure things how I want them. Apple is so focused on making things so that any octogenarian can use them that they lack basic customization. I feel like a rat in a cage using Apple stuff (as I type this on my Ipad lol).

Also, back button…I could never deal with an Iphone simply because of that. So simple, but you use it constantly, sooooo nice to just go back a page, go back a window, etc.

Im on an S9…havent bought a brand new phone in decades…think its crazy what they ask now (~1k+] I buy ~2 generations old on AMZN for ~250. Each time I upgrade its amazing (went from a 6 to a 9…huge upgrade for a couple hundred) even if Im not experienceing the latest and greatest (its all relative..,ignorance is bliss lol…going from a 6 to a 9 is amazing, and since I dont know how much better a 20+ is, im content).

Reactions: 1MoreWatch