• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

If the mountain won't come to Mohammed, Mohammed must go to the mountain?

Hazel

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/10/12
Hello everyone,

i just asked myself why there hasnt been a really good rep of the Speedy 'Moonwatch' so far. The only possible answers i can imagine are the following

1. There is no sufficient demand.

2. There are serious technical obstacles.

Ad 1: There are obviously so many people searching for an accurate 'Moonwatch' rep that i come to the conclusion that the demand is definitely high enough.

Ad 2: Is it really impossible? I dont believe it!

So what can we do? Perhaps some sort of petition? I read a post by puretime saying that some dealers have quite an influence on what is being manufactured. So what do you think?

Hazel

PS.: And i am not aiming at a hand-wound or automatic rep, just a good quartz rep.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
There are serious technical obstacles:

1/ No suitable three register hand wind MVT is available
2/ Even when one is (the ST-19 is supposed to gain a register shortly) the register spacing is wrong for Omega subdials.

Hazel

Banned
1/10/12
Really no fitting quartz, automatic or hand-wound movement out there? That can't be true, or yes?

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Buy the gen, used. You won't look back. By the time you piece one together, you might as well have saved up for the real deal. ;)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Quartz yes, there is a good quartz rep. It even has the correct crystal and solid caseback of the original "moonie". They are hard to come by however and it's quartz.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Buy the gen, used. You won't look back. By the time you piece one together, you might as well have saved up for the real deal. ;)

^^^^^ What he said.

AskMeAgain

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/11
Plus one and look for LHOQ's build on a speedy :)

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Not this again :D

TB answered your question above Hazel, the replica makers can only work with a select few movements that they have cheap and easy access to. That is why there is serious difficulties replicating movements that have very specific modifications by the gen manufacturers. Look at the replications of the IWC portofino, Tag Heuer Monaco, Rolex daytona, JLC reverso etc. (i.e. there isn't any accurate ones) no true 1:1 movement exists that will allow a superrep for those either. This is the problem with the moony. If there was a movement available that was possible to do a perfect rep with then it would instantly be the 2nd biggest selling rep next to the Rolex 16610. The moonwatch is unbelievably popular. To replicate the complex lemania 1861 movement from the ground up would be an enormous undertaking:

strella_s_c1861.jpg

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Please have a look at this thread:

http://www.rwg.cc/topic/145253-omega-speedmasterfrankengenstein/

Why would people go to this 'bother' to create the perfect speedmaster above if there was an easier way, or an off the shelf movement that would do the job. A job like that above can be done for about $1Kish if you are patient and quick fingered when the parts come available at good prices. It's the cheapest perfect speedy you could get access to aside from gen.

The one thing about a forum like this is that people here will be brutally honest with you, it may not be what you want to hear but it's the truth. Any website on the net or other dealers claiming they have a perfect rep moony is looking for a sucker that wants to hear it!

Hazel

Banned
1/10/12
Could you please tell me then where or how to get such a 'good' quartz one? I ve only found those with completely wrong sub-dials :(.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
I dunno, it does surprise me also, but about a year ago whoever makes it decided to mess up the numbering on the subdials, whether they will fix it is anyones guess. You may have to contact most of the dealers and see if anyone can pick a correct dialed one up. If not then it's 2nd hand rep market is about as good as it's gonna get.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Could you please tell me then where or how to get such a 'good' quartz one? I ve only found those with completely wrong sub-dials :(.

This has all been addressed in the other threads you've started on this subject. I'm not sure why you don't believe us.

The quartz versions being produced now aren't good. They used to be but for whatever reason, not anymore. The only way you'll find one is in the sales section or from another member. I'll warn you though that if one comes up for sale, you'd better be fast.

I'll point you again to this thread http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/looking-for-pre-96966?t=96966
Please read every post and believe every word.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
This has all been addressed in the other threads you've started on this subject.
:picard: Did not know that.
Dude, why keep asking? The answer isn't going to change.

Hazel

Banned
1/10/12
Okay, sorry, my fault. I dont know why at all, but the crucial section of my original post had been missing.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
:D

You know what Einstein said about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!?

You do raise some interesting questions though but you have to see that many many here went through all the same headaches some time ago. A usable modded a7750 with close subdials would be a dream come true, but we are waiting since 2008/2009 for it to be put to use in speedmasters, it doesn't look likely now.
It is interesting why the subdials on the quartz went wonky, I'm sure one of the dealers is close to the factory that does quartz reps, maybe watcheden/t4d etc. The likelyhood of just getting it changed back on a whim is slim, but they might put a word in to the factory with some requests to fix it. Don't count on it though. For less headache just choose one of the ones shown in markh thread, if in a year they managed to fix the quartz then you can buy one of those.

Hazel

Banned
1/10/12
and what the heck does this have to do with Mohammed?

mountain = manufacturers of replicas
Mohammed as a prophet = we who wish to have a good 'Moonie' rep?

:D

You know what Einstein said about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!?

No, but as a theoretical physicist i really would like to know it!

Hazel

Hazel

Banned
1/10/12
Definition of insanity...

That s not a good definition of insanity, but a fundamental law of nature. Einstein was apparently completely wrong when he said that 'God does not play dice'. Further on, you should be glad about this fact, too, because your reactions to my posts are also always the same.

Hazel

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Wasn't my comment. Was just clarifying for you what Einstein said... Thanks for playing though.

Good luck with your search for a good rep moon watch. I'm sure you'll be able to find one since the rest of us just must not have been looking in the right places for the last several years...

I'm done.